Mod request: Dragon Spear [PC]

Mr. Fear

On 11/9/2018 at 9:06 PM, roger11 said:

Looks like I'm gonna save money for this :P  I'll keep a eye out on this mod

Man, I hope Atlas add in dragon's crown

Yeah dragon crown seems to be better then this one in terms of combat....

Worked a bit more today and OMG, making an entire body nude (or almost) really is annoying due to the alpha limitations....
If the alpha layer actually worked as it was supposed to it would speed things up to 100%...
By that I mean making thing which is in the alpha channel actually invisible instead of some transparent glowing garbage....
I will focus on only making Breast and Pussy visible from now on (when possible)

Welll.jpg.7b5c9d7141f45eb3b4cc1c04857abb13.jpg

Edit:
I might have to switch to Paint.net....
Despite Photoshop being really easy to use for me and Paint.net being kind of hard (never used it before) Photoshop Limitations with .dds are being a little incovenient.

13 hours ago, The Butler said:

Yeah dragon crown seems to be better then this one in terms of combat....

Worked a bit more today and OMG, making an entire body nude (or almost) really is annoying due to the alpha limitations....
If the alpha layer actually worked as it was supposed to it would speed things up to 100%...
By that I mean making thing which is in the alpha channel actually invisible instead of some transparent glowing garbage....
I will focus on only making Breast and Pussy visible from now on (when possible)

Welll.jpg.7b5c9d7141f45eb3b4cc1c04857abb13.jpg

god himself is waiting for your mods so he can buy the game on steam ! This is so gg :D

How about this tho, you only make one proper nude body per character, and the rest you should just expose the breasts and pussy. Leaving part of the costume on, adds to the allure. This way ppl can have best of both worlds.

Kojinx screenshots on undertow also showed him only exposing the breasts and pussy while leaving the rest of the outfit on.

4 hours ago, Shiori栞 said:

Is your PS older than CS6?

It's CC 2019
However it doesn't support .dds, so I only have 2 options (that I know of)
Intel .dds plugin (BC compression) - which makes the game files looks scrambled
Nvidia .dds plugin - which is the one I'm currently using.

The thing is that Photoshop is forcing me to use a black background for it to work correctly, which inconvenience me in various ways.

1. Might be the reason why I can't get the desired alpha effect (making things actually invisible instead of shiny transparent)
  2. I'm forced to manually do the alpha layer every time.
  3. Due to the black background I might do a incorrect alpha painting or an incorrect texture painting.
  4. This one is directly related to reason 1 as well. Due to the black background being a must, I can't make the sprite look smooth without black corners. Also where some parts should be slight transparent it becomes slightly painted in black.

For now these are the main reason that I'm aware off....

So what I'm thinking is to do all the process in Paint.net, which will take longer since the key shortcuts are pretty counter intuitive and there is no way to change the shortcuts.

Other reason is as said above shortcut keys
List below

PS shortcut Keys

• B - brush
  • E - eraser
  • Alt - Color picker
  • Alt + Scroll up/down - Zoom
  • Space - Move workplace
  • R - To rotate
  • 1~9 - to scale opacity
  • [ and ] - brush size
  • Some shift + key combinations that I don't remember right now.

And it has a very friendly layer panel.
Swatches Panel where I leave my mostly used colors
Blur Tool -to blend the colors nicely

Paint.net

• B - Brush
  • Shift+E - Eraser
  • K - Color picker (really inconvenient T-T)
  • CTRL + Scroll up/down - Zoom ( I can get used with it)
  • S - Selection Tool
  • [ and ] - brush size

Layer panel is lacking to much.
No swatches panel (that I'm aware of at least)
no Blur tool

11 minutes ago, The Butler said:

It's CC 2019

Well, that is certainly newer than mine. Dam shame DXT5 Interpolated makes textures look bad. Always been the best choice I've seen. I've never had to deal with a black background, but then, I have not used over half of the other compression types before. Sounds very much like it is forcing your image to Flatten when it saves, filling in the transparent background. Is there maybe some box you can tick when the save option pops up that can prevent that?

Worse case otherwise really does seem to be using Paint.net...which is pretty lame. Odd that program can save it properly and PS can't. I have to wonder if that is the tool the dev used when creating textures. If so, it is an odd choice.

5 hours ago, Shiori栞 said:

Well, that is certainly newer than mine. Dam shame DXT5 Interpolated makes textures look bad. Always been the best choice I've seen. I've never had to deal with a black background, but then, I have not used over half of the other compression types before. Sounds very much like it is forcing your image to Flatten when it saves, filling in the transparent background. Is there maybe some box you can tick when the save option pops up that can prevent that?

Worse case otherwise really does seem to be using Paint.net...which is pretty lame. Odd that program can save it properly and PS can't. I have to wonder if that is the tool the dev used when creating textures. If so, it is an odd choice.

Photoshop...
Using Nvidia Plugin it open ups the texture/image with a flatten black background
Using Intel plugin - I have the 2 options - Load transparency as alpha channel, which will have the same result as nvidia or
Open without the alpha channel - Without alpha channel I will have a nice transparent background based on the correct alpha and easy to edit textures.
But there are some bugs with a transparent BG.

Regarding DXT5 , The problem is that the texture is too small (512x512) to be compressed so the color get pretty messed up and deprecated....
I managed to use make DXT5 work nicely but it's a Test I'm making. I upscalled the file from 512x512 to 2048x2048 DXT5 and it was still looking nice.

|----------------------------------------|
|    Type     |   Res   |  comp  | Size  |
|-------------|---------|--------|-------|
| Game Native | 512x512 | ARGB32 |  1mb  |
| Compressed  |2048x2048|  DXT5  |  1mb  |
|----------------------------------------|

Pros of DXT5 2048x2048:

• Easier to edit - I won't have to edit pixel per pixel to have a good result.
  • Higher quality

Cons:

• I will have to redo all the alpha channel if I'm using the black background
  • Might have rework in some area where the quality greatly deteriorated
  • Might cause some performance issue on low end machines
5 hours ago, link1233 said:

it might be a pain but I suggest using photoshop CS4. I run it on a seperate laptop for editing dds files. it's fairly easy to get a copy from the piratecove. Have you also tried using GIMP instead?

Yes I thought about Gimp and tested it around 5 minutes and give up (due to laziness) if paint.net becomes unbearable I will give it a try.

.............................................................................................................................................................................................................
EDIT: ...
So the the problem wasn't photoshop. Had the same problem with GIMP and Paint.net

To make things more clear.

This can be seen as a tutorial of some sorts as well.
Original Image without black background. (When saving the dds the program recognizes the transparent area as alpha).
116738515_NoBG.jpg.460be3683a3176ec1a12282f3148bac6.jpg
How the game will see it...
1516432969_NOBG-Game.jpg.f5d8c19d5fde8b68e4f4becbea25d8fa.jpg
Now, suppose we don't want a part of that cape, so we will cut it of...
1219705260_NoBG-Cuthole.jpg.eaeece4db7ff1db6bc8e1ba76aa35377.jpg
and then export the file again.
If everything went perfect until here, editing the texture would be way easier and fast, however....
We got this problem...
1605038975_NOBGHole-Game.jpg.c4e6e790d0b7c3d25d555d7d3dd5b634.jpg
Now let's see an image with a black background, and redo the process.
We will have to correct the alpha layer every time we make changes on the image (make texture a bit larger or cut a part of it).
1740548129_BlackBGAlpha.jpg.6c40b38de055b60be8815c945fd26459.jpg
And then export it.
286108705_BlackBGAlphagame.jpg.ba0269e18dfcb19f9f1ee4cc76b8924d.jpg
So what we know is, having a black background make the programs to correctly recognizes the changes we made.
However the use of the alpha channel will have to be very precisely made.
722825993_alphachannel.jpg.5e9c8bd335d74e6cc4ab65f1359b61ad.jpg1170482853_andif.jpg.71a1ee16f9af65c16bc01b999edfce49.jpgyucks.jpg.05bddef17cc8b95aed4a7fb786a5c31c.jpg
We must be cautious of the black border as well. Otherwise the sprite will look like a manikin doll.
To lazy to mess with sprite now and paste the manikin version here , for now contempt with the one below.

[ *USE YOUR IMAGINATION* - "Hey handsome, I'm a manikin doll. Wanna have some fun?" ]

In conclusion, I will have to stay with the black background way, and the progress will take way longe than needed due to the correction I will have to make on the alpha channels along the way. And as I said and was suggested above for now only the default outfit will have plenty of skin to show off the other will be focused on breasts and crotch area.

PS: Oddly enough some game textures have a "fading" effect. Which works fine in game without adding that whitish garbage....
Maybe I can try replicating it with a fading black.... Gonna try it later on.

Quite the long text, sorry about that....

3 hours ago, The Butler said:
  Reveal hidden contents

This can be seen as a tutorial of some sorts as well.
Original Image without black background. (When saving the dds the program recognizes the transparent area as alpha).
116738515_NoBG.jpg.460be3683a3176ec1a12282f3148bac6.jpg
How the game will see it...
1516432969_NOBG-Game.jpg.f5d8c19d5fde8b68e4f4becbea25d8fa.jpg
No let's suppose we don't want a part of that cape, so we will cut it of...
1219705260_NoBG-Cuthole.jpg.eaeece4db7ff1db6bc8e1ba76aa35377.jpg
and then export the file again.
If everything went perfect until here, editing the texture would be way easier and fast, however....
We got this problem...
1605038975_NOBGHole-Game.jpg.c4e6e790d0b7c3d25d555d7d3dd5b634.jpg
Now let's see an image with a black background, and redo the process.
However we will have to correct the alpha layer every time we make a change  on the image (make texture a bit larger or cut a part of it).
1740548129_BlackBGAlpha.jpg.6c40b38de055b60be8815c945fd26459.jpg
And then export it.
286108705_BlackBGAlphagame.jpg.ba0269e18dfcb19f9f1ee4cc76b8924d.jpg
So what we know is, having a black background make the programs to correctly recognizes the changes we made.
However the use of the alpha channel will have to very precisely made.
722825993_alphachannel.jpg.5e9c8bd335d74e6cc4ab65f1359b61ad.jpg1170482853_andif.jpg.71a1ee16f9af65c16bc01b999edfce49.jpgyucks.jpg.05bddef17cc8b95aed4a7fb786a5c31c.jpg
We must be cautious of the black border as well. Otherwise the sprite will look like a manikin doll.
To lazy to mess with sprite now and paste the manikin version here , for now contempt with the one below.

[ *USE YOUR IMAGINATION* - "Hey handsome, I'm a manikin doll. Wanna have some fun?" ]

In conclusion, I will have to stay with the black background way, and the progress will take way longe than needed due to the correction I will have to make on the alpha channels along the way. And as I said and was suggested above for now only the default outfit will have plenty of skin to show off the other will be focused on breasts and crotch area.

So, you're a perfectionist! ??

But you WILL release this mod someday/year, yes? ??

I honestly appreciate your work on this. Go on. ?

Mistakenly overwritten a pretty much done sprite with a crappy one.... I will need to rework on it again....
However I made a Lite version (Breast+crotch area) and sent it to test to make sure it won't crash your games neither will need constant updates to work.

Skin that was overwritten T_T, I had 3 different skin for this outfit in different folders so I got a bit confused and overwritten the finished one.

Welll.jpg.0bf3b823c093f5881a89fe6878ca63a6.jpg

Lite Version:

hmmm.jpg.a8698aabe195baf429d5d229ba9d0cb4.jpg

7 hours ago, The Butler said:

Mistakenly overwritten a pretty much done sprite with a crappy one.... I will need to rework on it again....
However I made a Lite version (Breast+crotch area) and sent it to test to make sure it won't crash your games neither will need constant updates to work.

Skin that was overwritten T_T, I had 3 different skin for this outfits in different folders so I got a bit confuse overwritten the finished one.

Welll.jpg.0bf3b823c093f5881a89fe6878ca63a6.jpg

Lite Version:

hmmm.jpg.a8698aabe195baf429d5d229ba9d0cb4.jpg

Take your time brother, you'll be our true saviour

It may ask you for a password to view the video. If it does...

Password: DragonsLab

I did not make any part of this. This was a test to see if The Butler's mod works on the newest (and future) version(s) of Dragon Spear and it passed the test.

This was tested on version 1.010 of the Steam.png.4b110183d65a239b1233cd974e8c8bd6.png version of the game.

As @Shiori栞 confirmed it's working, gonna post the first batch of mods here.... and thanks for testing

DOWNLOAD -  Dragon Spear - Nude (LITE).rar Mirror: MEGA  LITE = Only boobs and a small part in crotch area
I will post a preview tomorrow.
PS: Gunner nipples are pointing in an odd location.... I will fix it later on.

Install ...

• Backup your resources.assets (in case it doesn't work)
  • Extract the .rar  in "...Dragon_Spear\Dragon_Spear_Data"
  • Launch UnityEX 
  • Drag'n'drop resources.assets into the program or click Open Archive Unity and manually select the file.
    • You can put UnityEX in other folder however having it in the same folder as the ,asset will speed up the process using the second method.
  • Wait for it to finish loading the files
  • Click on Import all files
  • Wait for it to finish
  • Load the game
  • It should be displaying the modded textures now

Contents:
  • UnityEX - for installing the mods
  • Mod for:
    Character Screen
    Mage/Sorceress - default clothes + Portrait
    Fighter - default clothes + Portrait
    Assassin - default clothes + Portrait
    Gunner - default clothes + Portrait

EDIT:
Mana Portrait fixed

I wasn't sure at first if you needed to keep the UnityEX running to keep the mod working, but no, you don't. It compiles the files into resources.assets for you. (thus replacing the original)

The Butler , since you basically just filled a mod request, might I suggest you create a download thread of your own? That way, it can say "Dragon Spear Nude Mod" and have tags for those searching for it, and it will be on the Opening Page, and just generally easier to find.

Just a suggestion. Always easiest to find a mod when it is not on page 2 or 3 (or like pg. 104) of someone else's thread, and has a specific title.

10 hours ago, Shiori栞 said:

I wasn't sure at first if you needed to keep the UnityEX running to keep the mod working, but no, you don't. It compiles the files into resources.assets for you. (thus replacing the original)

The Butler , since you basically just filled a mod request, might I suggest you create a download thread of your own? That way, it can say "Dragon Spear Nude Mod" and have tags for those searching for it, and it will be on the Opening Page, and just generally easier to find.

Just a suggestion. Always easiest to find a mod when it is not on page 2 or 3 (or like pg. 104) of someone else's thread, and has a specific title.

Yes, UnityEx is just for importing/exporting, no need to keep it open.
As for creating a new thread. I don't like to create it when there are only a single or a few mod. 
For now there are only a few mods so unless I split the mods I don't think its worth to create it. I thought about creating a thread in the download section, but then again I rarely use it so I'm not sure if other people use them (I know some modder use) and it support only one file.

8 hours ago, link1233 said:

will Umod work for importing the textures?

I can't download the file. could you upload a google drive or a mega?

I doubt Umod will work since the game uses .tex texture format.

DOWNLOAD LINK - MEGA

Modding NPC sprites next

1 hour ago, The Butler said:

Yes, UnityEx is just for importing/exporting, no need to keep it open.
As for creating a new thread. I don't like to create it when there are only a single or a few mod. 
For now there are only a few mods so unless I split the mods I don't think its worth to create it. I thought about creating a thread in the download section, but then again I rarely use it so I'm not sure if other people use them (I know some modder use) and it support only one file.

Allllrighty. I have to say though, when it comes to the name "Dragon Spear Nude Mod" I feel like having just one mod would be easily forgiven. :cool:

22 hours ago, tigers said:

I think theres something wrong with the mod, when i try to play as Mana her character portrait doesnt show up. Working fine for Loki and Tanya tho

I will try to found why....

Edit: 
FIXED! Links updated

Doing some work on the NPCs
Hmm.jpg.b4e92ad3f06641b4f65039bced9cbff0.jpghmm2.jpg.139bcc5e242d96057b8cfc820a557838.jpg

Archived