Calling all cars (modders) -- A request

prideslayer

Please, if you are using PrintC, PrintToConsole, or DebugPrint -- prefix your messages with something indicating what mod is producing the message?

Sexout tries to do this everywhere, though sometimes I forget. It's most important in the first two as I assume people during on debug messages for a mod will pay attention to which one(s) they turn on, but it would help in all of them.

Agree.. it's best if:

1. all or most of the messages are debug.

2. mcm options for debug.

Sexout has two at present.. the main one to turn them on period, and when that's on, you can also turn on the scanner debug messages. Scanner is off by default since it's very spammy.

But the error stuff is using normal prints, not debug, so people can peek in the console and see if something's gone wrong without having to enable debug messages and repeat the scene.

Agree.. it's best if:

1. all or most of the messages are debug.

2. mcm options for debug.

Sexout has two at present.. the main one to turn them on period' date=' and when that's on, you can also turn on the scanner debug messages. Scanner is off by default since it's very spammy.

But the error stuff is using normal prints, not debug, so people can peek in the console and see if something's gone wrong without having to enable debug messages and repeat the scene.[/quote']

Yeah error prints are fine in my book because then it enables a moder to notice if their stuff is crewing up something else in another mod :)

+1

One (stupid) question tho:

Do I have to set some variable for DebugPrint to appear in the console or does it come along with "tdt"?

Yeah you have to set some variable, it's something like "Set Debug to 1" should find it just after Gamemode in the SCRmain script of SCR. if you have SCR as a master just set the GECK filter for SexoutS and you will see it near the top somewhere in scripts.

+1

One (stupid) question tho:

Do I have to set some variable for DebugPrint to appear in the console or does it come along with "tdt"?

Yeah you have to set some variable' date=' it's something like "Set Debug to 1" should find it just after Gamemode in the SCRmain script of SCR. if you have SCR as a master just set the GECK filter for SexoutS and you will see it near the top somewhere in scripts.

[/quote']

Ah okay. Thanks.

I wasn't really sure how to utilize it. But now that I know, this might spare some users the headaches of reading all the crap I throw out to the console:D

for those wondering how to turn on & off their debug messages in a noob player friendly way without having to add MCM just for a debug toggle, you could add an armor Debug token not set to any slot to the players inventory then just have your scripts check if it is equipped or not to turn on your debug messaging.

Alternatively what I think I'll add for the next SCR release is a debug slider 0-99 in SCR's MCM for non MCM plugins to use to use and everyone could just pick a number for their mods debug to be turned on. You would just monitor that variable then use it to SetDebugMode in your main script if it is set to your number.

Ok I added this, so there should be no excuse for debug spammage now from mods not using MCM :)

New Update 20121010.1:

Altered SCR MCM Debug Slider so it goes from 0-99, 1 is SCR Debug Mode, 2-9 reserved for my Mods to use, but anyone else using SCR as a Master for their plugin can pick a number from 10 to 99 and use that number to enable their debuging by setting the SCR MCM slider to that number, it saves mods having to install MCM just to turn on Debugging and makes it simpler for players to activate. Just put the following in your mods main script then it should turn on and off all your debug messages.

if SexoutSQVAR.iDebug == 1 (Replace the "1" with your chosen number)
	SetDebugMode 1
else
	SetDebugMode 0
endif

Be careful not to choose the same number as another mod or it's debug messages will also show, I'm not going to bother tracking who's using what numbers, just leave 0-9 alone :)

Archived