Nexus Mod Manager, the Nexus Client, entering closed BETA

Hmm, I think it'll stay GPL. I'm just glad that they're making this program as an optional feature and not something that'll completely replace the site, and nor are they charging users for utilizing the program. I personally don't see myself using it but if it lets me "multi" download files without going through those annoying 30-sec vido ads each time, then I think I'll be making the switch.

I'm afraid I didn't quite understand what micalov was talking about...

Seems pretty cool, but I hope it doesn't become a mandatory thing. I fear people how make mods on the site won't release any of the mods for manual installation.

Also, what's stopping them from seeing what I have installed? I know I'm a bit paranoid, but I worry about these 3rd person programs that seem to tell me updates and check what I currently have installed. I try to use Steam as least often as possible.What about the mods that aren't on the nexus, or aren't allowed on the nexus?

Again, maybe just paranoid, but all of these changes are starting to spook me.

It's an interesting move and I suspect there's a larger plan or strategic direction Nexus is aiming for. The program itself I would be fine with but what has me cautious is the management behind Nexus. The more I let them through the door to my comp, the more evidence I want that they're professional and competent.

Meh' date=' the new Nexus sucks. It would be fun if LoversLab could eventually take its place :)

[/quote']

It does indeed suck. Then again it's probably about time for a new mod site to come out, I've been thinking about it but meh I don't know if I want to run another site. What's Nexus is pulling is similar to what Curse did for WoW mods, along with the whole WAU updater. It wouldn't surprise me to see them going pay for specific downloads, or downloads above a specific speed or somewhat.

Besides, I wouldn't want my mods "always upto date" sometimes things break. :)

Yeah I don't know what it is, but it's an irritation to go there and look up anything. I'd honestly say the nexus if anything went full on stupid, and went far too simple, while making it too busy. I'm a firm believer in the KISS system, having written software for PLC's and designed industrial control panels for pushing 15 years now. The worst thing you can do is make it too busy, with too much, or bad schemes. In my line of work, distracting someone usually leads to missing hands, fingers, toes and death. I guess that's why WWII "green"(aka pea piss green) is still such a popular colour to paint machines in. :)

Yeah I don't know what it is' date=' but it's an irritation to go there and look up anything. I'd honestly say the nexus if anything went full on stupid, and went far too simple, while making it too busy. I'm a firm believer in the KISS system, having written software for PLC's and designed industrial control panels for pushing 15 years now. The worst thing you can do is make it too busy, with too much, or bad schemes. In my line of work, distracting someone usually leads to missing hands, fingers, toes and death. I guess that's why WWII "green"(aka pea piss green) is still such a popular colour to paint machines in. :)

[/quote']

And now I'm reminded of the following:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/design_hell

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/design_changes

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks it sucks.

I thought maybe I'm just a malcontent, but like I said over there a site improvement is generally supposed to make a site easier to use, not more clunky.

They just seem to want to ape Steam's general look and interface for some reason.

I don't like it too. Well, what if they make up that I did piracy of Oblivion just 'cus I had it installed on all the 8 pc/notebooks I had in my house but only buy one copy of the game?

I may been a lot paranoic, but, when you deal with a site who ban you only for ask about something that happens years before you join in and they don't even allow you to ask why you were ban, what else can you spected?

I was banned from there and can only get the stuff my boyfriend download for me, so I would never risk put he on they target as he has the same copy of Oblivion as me (why should we buy two or more copy sinse we live all together in the same room?)

I fear they could use it to label people more often than they do now.

Both are sadly true. I remember this one machine I was redesigning the control panel for. We were moving from switch controls and relays(basically the old push button, or turn knob and it does what you want based on line pressure and all that) to PLC controls, and computer inputs so that there could be finer control of what you were doing. Which is good, when you're dealing with a machine that weighs 15 tonnes, and can crush a volvo while doing feeds.

This is where it went all down hill. They(the lower board members) started bringing in people from various depts, especially marketing to give "input" on the design. Not the people that used the old machines or anything. We have this mockup and they want leds here, and lights there, and blinky things to do this and that. My head nearly exploded. At least the owner of the company stepped in, since those of us in engineering ran the design revamp through our customers and got input from them. Needless to say, he quickly put a "no internal design review, except by engineering" policy into effect.