Oblivion Modding Tutorial Video

Happysparkles

I am not sure if this is better suited for the Adult area or skyrim (since more people are modding that these days :( ).

But I am currently self learning how to mod.

Now I am curious though. Anyone can make/ has made a video tutorial on a couple of things?

1) I would like to see (from beginning to end) how someone would make a Bikini/Panties (not thong) Fullback ones (thongs are simple tbh)Also if can make bra too it be nice. I learn best by seeing it in action not reading a million pages of information :(.

2) I would also like to know how do the good modders find/ make the textures that work so well with the Armors.

3) How do you make the items NOT look like they are shiny (like latexy) I will upload a picture of what I did if need reference.

I made a thong bikini but wanted it to be cotton or silk but I also had to use a texture from another mod (but want to do my own patterns)

Anyway advice (especially video ones on this will be so nice to know)

Thanks so much in advance

PS I am currently learning this but at a VERY slow slow slow pace, hence why I took the time to ask of this ><.

HS

Oh my, me being new to the forums sometiems shows how I lack the use of searching for things.

If a moderator could advise me (because I really want this posting to get some views and maybe replies) can one place it into the modding tutorial section of the forums?

I was going to place it into skyrim but it would be an even bigger mis posting because I am not touching mods for skyrim atm ><.

Moving to Modding Tutorial Section per your request.

There are not currently many folks making armors\clothes for Oblivion. It might be best to read through this tutorial section as there are links to how to video's scattered throughout it.

Yes you are very correct everyone moved on to Skyrim. Maybe I will eventually too, but I do find oblivion to be higher up on my preference xD.

Thanks again for the move! :)

Also I will do well to try to be more thoughtful on where I post threads to keep things easier for you.

That's a whole lot of questions. Unfortunately, most of the answers are very complicated.

Your best bet to find a video with the information that you need is to do a Google video search for "Blender Oblivion Clothing" or something similar, depending on the programs that you intend to use.

Personally, I'm a big fan of Blender and Gimp. They're free and, for the most part, they do everything that I need them to do.

For Blender, you'll need 2.49b (not a newer version). I recommend a portable installation, such as

http://oblivion.nexusmods.com/mods/42755

Here is a decent tutorial on using Blender

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro#Table_of_Contents

I would be happy to answer questions as they arise. But first, I need to ask you a question.

How much do you know about 3D modeling? Have you ever tried it before or are you a newbie?

Only make model for oblivion.

I didn't read that "Blender 3D: Noob to Pro" to learn blender.

It may be very educational and helpful, but reading that kind of books is too boring for me,

so I watch tutorial videos on youtube instead. Many of those videos even tell you which key to press.

There are also many great tutorials for modding for oblivion on the nexus: oblivion tutorials

You can started with this one.

That's a whole lot of questions. Unfortunately' date=' most of the answers are very complicated.

Your best bet to find a video with the information that you need is to do a Google video search for "Blender Oblivion Clothing" or something similar, depending on the programs that you intend to use.

Personally, I'm a big fan of Blender and Gimp. They're free and, for the most part, they do everything that I need them to do.

For Blender, you'll need 2.49b (not a newer version). I recommend a portable installation, such as

http://oblivion.nexusmods.com/mods/42755

Here is a decent tutorial on using Blender

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro#Table_of_Contents

I would be happy to answer questions as they arise. But first, I need to ask you a question.

How much do you know about 3D modeling? Have you ever tried it before or are you a newbie?

[/quote']

Thank you so much for your response.

I am VERY noob at 3D modeling. I have dabbled with it a bit. As I have done a few clothing conversions to the Suicup2 body(made by speedbuster). I do eventually want to learn how to do it ALL in blender as I have alot of ideas for mods that I'd like to make. But my first biggest goal would be Clothing making, hairs then bodies (as I will eventually make my own)

Though atm 100% mostly want to learn to make clothing as I will be doing mostly clothing mods and I need like to also learn to learn how the people make their own textures as well as use (or how ever they make such nice texturing on their clothing)

It is hard I have been doing Blender Noob to Pro though I will be honest, I learned a bit but it does not seem to really be helping when it comes to clothing (though I am only on page 150). I am particular because I look only for female things as I don't use males.

I particularly want to make fullback panties (to learn that) because I already made a thong (note my blog The Female One) but there also you can kind of see the direction I am taking though I have not uploaded any of my concept art. I just find a thong to be rather too simple to make and looking at some other people's mods (95% of them are thongs) Some did not even connect the thong. I love pervy mods but I will focus more on skimpy stuff.

Sorry for essay though I hope it helps with giving an Idea of my "Direction"

Only make model for oblivion.

I didn't read that "Blender 3D: Noob to Pro" to learn blender.

It may be very educational and helpful' date=' but reading that kind of books is too boring for me,

so I watch tutorial videos on youtube instead. Many of those videos even tell you which key to press.

There are also many great tutorials for modding for oblivion on the nexus: oblivion tutorials

You can started with this one.

thank you so much as well. I do confess I am also a little bored reading the book. It does not help that I have the attention span of a fly. That and I am one of those people who like it to be simplified because I am not one for using Lingo (and 9x out of 10 these text tutorials use that). At least in a Video when they use the Lingo I can see what they click so then I can follow along.

Most of my mods will start with Panties and Bra's (TBH I've NEVER) seen not a one tutorial to make that. I do plan to do more then just that of course as I have a lot of concept art drawn already for a full armor conversion. I can understand the concept of making shorts. But when it comes to make cute panties and bra's and even making them not look all (leathery?) like the same material that you always get when you did not make the mesh into other materials.

Heh.

I'm a bit like that too, but I end up in the opposite place. I don't have the attention span to sit through a long boring video, but I'm a pretty fast reader, for the most part.

I'm still a bit of a newbie to Blender myself, but I've learned a few things in the last two months.

So let's talk about textures.

There are four main components to getting a clothing texture into Oblivion.

1. Material

2. UV Map

3. DDS texture

4. Normal map texture

The material just tells Blender and Oblivion the texture and how the model should be rendered. You modify things like the baseline color, the material type, the shininess of the mesh, the texture, etc.

The UV map tells Blender and Oblivion which parts of the mesh wrap to which parts of the texture.

The texture is just a picture that is wrapped over the mesh. It tells Oblivion which color goes where.

The normal map texture tells Oblivion how light should be rendered on the texture. A good normal map can make a texture look smooth and shiny in one place, dull in another, and rough somewhere else. Normal maps can be the wizardry that separates a decent mesh from a great mesh.

So, to answer your third question, modify the normal map.

http://cs.elderscrolls.com/index.php/GIMP:_Quality_Normal_Maps

In particular, the paragraph that talks about adding an alpha channel and using the erase tool.

First, go to Layers>>Transparency, and select "Add Alpha Channel". Next, select areas of your normal map that should have less shine to them, and then click on the "Eraser" tool. Under the settings, make sure the opacity is not set to 100%, as this will also get rid of your directional data. I repeat, make sure the opacity setting is below 100%. A value of 90% is usually pretty good for rough woods, and a value of 85% for shinier woods. Material such as leather should be set even higher (higher opacity on the eraser will make pixels more transparent, and likewise less shiny). If you click and drag to erase all of the pixels you have selected at once, you should not run into any problems, however if you let go of the left mouse button, and then continue erasing, you may erase the pixels completely and therefore get rid of your directional data, which will ultimately make your normal map useless. An easy way to check this is by looking at the "Channels" dialog, and making sure there is no solid black in the color channels (not the alpha channel). If there is solid black, you should undo your erasing and start over, being careful not to let go of the left mouse button as you erase. You may still see a faint ghost-image remaining where you erase, and this is a good thing, however do not be worried if you do not, it just means the opacity of the eraser was rather high.

That GIMP tutorial combined with these two contain most of the techniques that I use.

Baking Normal maps from a high quality mesh.

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.4/Manual/Textures/Influence/Material/Bump_and_Normal

Building Normal maps from a texture.

http://cs.elderscrolls.com/index.php/Creating_detailed_Normal_Maps

Depending on the what you are doing, it can be extremely handy to combine a baked normal map with one constructed from a texture.

Heh.

I'm a bit like that too' date=' but I end up in the opposite place. I don't have the attention span to sit through a long boring video, but I'm a pretty fast reader, for the most part.

I'm still a bit of a newbie to Blender myself, but I've learned a few things in the last two months.

So let's talk about textures.

There are four main components to getting a clothing texture into Oblivion.

1. Material

2. UV Map

3. DDS texture

4. Normal map texture

The material just tells Blender and Oblivion the texture and how the model should be rendered. You modify things like the baseline color, the material type, the shininess of the mesh, the texture, etc.

The UV map tells Blender and Oblivion which parts of the mesh wrap to which parts of the texture.

The texture is just a picture that is wrapped over the mesh. It tells Oblivion which color goes where.

The normal map texture tells Oblivion how light should be rendered on the texture. A good normal map can make a texture look smooth and shiny in one place, dull in another, and rough somewhere else. Normal maps can be the wizardry that separates a decent mesh from a great mesh.

So, to answer your third question, modify the normal map.

http://cs.elderscrolls.com/index.php/GIMP:_Quality_Normal_Maps

In particular, the paragraph that talks about adding an alpha channel and using the erase tool.

First, go to Layers>>Transparency, and select "Add Alpha Channel". Next, select areas of your normal map that should have less shine to them, and then click on the "Eraser" tool. Under the settings, make sure the opacity is not set to 100%, as this will also get rid of your directional data. I repeat, make sure the opacity setting is below 100%. A value of 90% is usually pretty good for rough woods, and a value of 85% for shinier woods. Material such as leather should be set even higher (higher opacity on the eraser will make pixels more transparent, and likewise less shiny). If you click and drag to erase all of the pixels you have selected at once, you should not run into any problems, however if you let go of the left mouse button, and then continue erasing, you may erase the pixels completely and therefore get rid of your directional data, which will ultimately make your normal map useless. An easy way to check this is by looking at the "Channels" dialog, and making sure there is no solid black in the color channels (not the alpha channel). If there is solid black, you should undo your erasing and start over, being careful not to let go of the left mouse button as you erase. You may still see a faint ghost-image remaining where you erase, and this is a good thing, however do not be worried if you do not, it just means the opacity of the eraser was rather high.

That GIMP tutorial combined with these two contain most of the techniques that I use.

Baking Normal maps from a high quality mesh.

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.4/Manual/Textures/Influence/Material/Bump_and_Normal

Building Normal maps from a texture.

http://cs.elderscrolls.com/index.php/Creating_detailed_Normal_Maps

Depending on the what you are doing, it can be extremely handy to combine a baked normal map with one constructed from a texture.

[/quote']

Why thank you. Sometimes even a pointer in the right direction helps. Now I think when I make more time to fully read this I might be good to go. But none the less I like it. Now I need to find some panties video's. I did find a couple of decent shirt videos (I have also been looking forever). But Some go extreamly fast like one lady if she'd just slow down a bit I would be able to make beautiful clothing mods xD.

Thank you again for the links they will serve me well.

Now I guess All that is left is to watch some one make a pair of fullback panties (and a bra if possible) though I'd get a good idea of how to make them if I watch it. At least it will hold me over for now as I really will focus on one thing a time and I will be contempt once I can make some clothing items. I did make one before but it was horribly sloppy lol X_X.

I think if your modding skyrim you should go with 3ds max 2012 its free

I'm fairly certain it's a $3500 program with a 30 day free trial. How do you get it for free (legitimately)?

I don't know if it is still available but they had a 'students' edition that you could get. It was through their website and had you had to fill out forms and such to get it.

I think if your modding skyrim you should go with 3ds max 2012 its free an go to YouTube and type in Nightasy tutorials ' date=' he shows you everything you need ,how to install and so far a step by step for making armors:)

[/quote']

Wow Thank you I will totally look and sub to this Channel.

I actually use Blender but this is because I am still addicted to Oblivion though when I get REALLY good I might migrate to skyrim.

Thank you so so much Garret for so much help and information. Nightsky even focuses on Female Models too which makes it all too perfect. Yes I will be living here!

@regathit thank you for the hint I will definitely look into that in a couple of days as well. I am paying so gosh darned much for college I might as well reap the benefits of 3k programs for free xD.

• 1 month later...

I'm a bit late.But I want to learn to mod. I figured I should start with basics on games like Morrowind' date=' Oblvion, Fallout 3 and New Vegas and see where that takes me. I'd like to get to some point where I can post mods here.

[/quote']

Sounds good.

I'm a big fan of Blender myself, although it is still a bit painful for Skyrim at the moment.

What would you like to know?

• 2 months later...

@gerra6 Sorry for the late reply. Just been having a lot of thoughts on my mind, trying out mods, and some issues in the family. I really would like to know the basics. I try to go into the editors and I keep getting scared mostly because i really don't want to end up screwing things up and making dirty edits. So, for now the basics would be good. I guess also for now which things besides the editors from Bethesda that are free and good to  use.

Guest Lady Luck

Before i started  i apologize for long post i don't like to explain one little detail that  you might not understand so i take time write my comment , here's a couple  things you need advice and other extra goodies :)

- lady luck

" funny i still didn't get how to convert things properly even i know how to make models that's my only flaw there, so this is what left of my old mentor give it to me   "

1) I would like to see (from beginning to end) how someone would make a
Bikini/Panties (not thong) Fullback ones (thongs are simple tbh)Also if
can make bra too it be nice. I learn best by seeing it in action not
reading a million pages of information :(.

A -  learn very simple modding first , start learning creation kit that's how we all start  having complicated mods

" making bikinis sometimes is hard if it has chainmail mesh strapped to it"

2) I would also like to know how do the good modders find/ make the textures that work so well with the Armors.

A - i make textures from scratch i don't like non-friendly lore armor especially on skyrim i like wearing medieval armor

how us texture modders find good texture? , some of us go outside and take picture via hd camera and then convert

it at least 512x512 size to fit in the game and tweak using photoshop ,  for those  who like to texture but hate

to go outside and learn google images or any image search on the internet  will  let you find the texture learn

how to use cloning stamp , overlay to blend in hard surfaced mesh , tweak lightning it's tedious process that's

how i made mine.

3) How do you make the items NOT look like they are shiny (like latexy) I will upload a picture of what I did if need reference.

I
made a thong bikini but wanted it to be cotton or silk but I also had
to use a texture from another mod (but want to do my own patterns)

Anyway advice (especially video ones on this will be so nice to know

A-  it's doesn't depend on the model really , all you need is a good tweak via Photoshop and then adjust lightning via nifskope 

learn that too it's all about lighning adjustment , if you want to know a proper lightning adjust u need to balanced all the colors

that's how the pros did it , sometime it's easy to edit already made mesh that has fixed lightning  , final advice if you want to

replace a texture on other people work always ask permission do not take stuff and then  claim it , it's yours.

Modders Quick Noob to pro Cheat sheet

Choice of software to start with

Blender  -- software for model editing on older games like morrowind and oblivion

3dsmax  - software for model editing on newer games like mass effect,  skyrim etc

Nifskope - Software to view pre made models from various game that has .nif , kfm file format etc

Photshop - CS 5 or above is  recommended for 3d Texturing

creation kit   - for skyrim

construction set - for oblivion and morrowind

garden of eden creation kit (GECK)  -for fallout 3 and fallout new vegas

Comphrensive Creation kit tutorial

Bethesda official Skyrim creation kit Video

( introduction)

2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO-OMWk0mQs 

( Get to know the layout)

( Cluttering the world of skyrim)

( Navmeshing tutorial)

( Learning how to place encounters enemies etc.)

6. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN5vCtlxvwk 

( Learning how to place traps )

( Learning how to optimize world/clutter)

( Lightning Adjustment)

( World Lookup)

Comphrensive Blender tutorial

" How to import/export /adding textures ( in 3d model ) "

( Powerpoint style tutorial preparing nif file to blender)

( Blender 3d Mesh Texturing via blender tutorial)

( blender exporting sample tutorial " Watch part 1 if you want to know more")

Before i started  i apologize for long post i don't like to explain one little detail that  you might not understand so i take time write my comment , here's a couple  things you need advice and other extra goodies :)

- lady luck

Oh nice very extensive and good reply,

thank you.

XD I still remember when I made this post, now I make many bikini's xD.

But Even though I have learned some of the things, your post still helps alot!

Thank you very much Lady Luck for this ^_^.

Good to see this post still has some life to it too, I hope in a way many new modders refer to it so they can learn as well ^_^

Archived