FEEL - Facial Expression Editor (Limited *pfft*) [FONV]

5 hours ago, alm1 said:

For those that don't make it work, I found a solution: it does work installing the old library Lutana NV version 19 manually in nvse/Plugins. You can place it along the JIP, since it doesn't work with the updated JIP (even if theoretically it includes Lutana). Thanks for the mod!

It's quite strange, you know? those days I was using JIP and I had no problems with it, same for others. But others again, they couldn't ever manage to make it work, it was quite random and I never understood why. Maybe a newer version of JIP changed something, this could be an explanation I didn't think about since I always take for granted that they are fully retroactive.

Anyway, be careful in doing it: I remember when JIP included Lutana functions they wrote more than once that any Lutana dll HAD to be removed from the folder to avoid issues. In one occasion I remember someone issues then solved when the dll was removed.

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, dongding said:

Can somebody maybe upload the Lutana NV19 plugin somewhere? Mod isnt working for me either.

Besides that, what skeleton model are we even talking about? There is no link to a specific skeleton.nif, nor a mention of which .nif to use.

Forget Lutana, if you have it delete it. Now it's included in JIP now and if you have both you can have issues.

I still didn't have time to line all the mods versions on both the sites. If you go on nexus there's an updated version of FEEL where I also corrected an important part.

1 hour ago, dongding said:

Thanks! Nexus version is working as intended!

What is broken with the LL version here though?

The code, written in a certain way, was working for me and for others, but not some people. I never managed to understand why, because it's like if you say that 1+1 is 2 for some people but it's 3 for some other people. It was correct, but working only for some, very weird. When recently I reinstalled everything, I had this issue too (finally!) so I could debug it properly. Still it wasn't making any sense, but at least I simply workarounded re-writing it in a different way.

• 10 months later...

Could something like the random emotions mod for skyrim https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/91439 be done

Small automatic micro adjustments sort of thing, eye movement looking around, opening of the mouth theres even a random yawn sequence in here

Just adds a nice subtle life to the face, that works on player and companions i think in the mod it had it working npcs within a close radius around the player(close enough to see the npcs face) 

4 hours ago, Starman01 said:

Could something like the random emotions mod for skyrim https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/91439 be done

Small automatic micro adjustments sort of thing, eye movement looking around, opening of the mouth theres even a random yawn sequence in here

Just adds a nice subtle life to the face, that works on player and companions i think in the mod it had it working npcs within a close radius around the player(close enough to see the npcs face) 

It is possible, but it's something more for Behaviours mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/61925

The expressions in FONV are not as good as those in Skyrim... the result won't be so nice.

However, I checked the video and I'm not sure if an expression should trigger in such a random way, like that. It would be nice if they can be triggered when there's a specific reason, like it happens during dialogues based by the topic you're talking about. If we can create some specific conditions where these expressions should trigger, I'm gonna think to add them in Behaviours.

On 1/25/2021 at 8:03 AM, A.J. said:

It is possible, but it's something more for Behaviours mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/61925

The expressions in FONV are not as good as those in Skyrim... the result won't be so nice.

However, I checked the video and I'm not sure if an expression should trigger in such a random way, like that. It would be nice if they can be triggered when there's a specific reason, like it happens during dialogues based by the topic you're talking about. If we can create some specific conditions where these expressions should trigger, I'm gonna think to add them in Behaviours.

Yer dialog, headtracking is another where then you look at someone it triggers an emotion 

For random all i was thinking is

- Random Eye movement, Looking around as if the player is looking at something but not headtracking to it(sort of a fake simulation effect)

- Mouth adjustments, not smiling just open slightly, close ect

Just ways to add nice subtle movement to the face for an ambient expression not a specific emotion, I dont know if you can make new emotions but if you could make a new emotion called ambient that has subtle movements and have it play constantly on a loop till one of the other emotions override it. So i guess what i mean is an idle expression thats used when not playing a specific emotion

6 hours ago, Starman01 said:

Yer dialog, headtracking is another where then you look at someone it triggers an emotion 

For random all i was thinking is

- Random Eye movement, Looking around as if the player is looking at something but not headtracking to it(sort of a fake simulation effect)

- Mouth adjustments, not smiling just open slightly, close ect

Just ways to add nice subtle movement to the face for an ambient expression not a specific emotion, I dont know if you can make new emotions but if you could make a new emotion called ambient that has subtle movements and have it play constantly on a loop till one of the other emotions override it. So i guess what i mean is an idle expression thats used when not playing a specific emotion

You can't make a new emotion called ambient but you can probably modify the main Idle of the player and add expressions to it, it loops continuously. But this means 1) the idle should be made very very long, or it'll become easily repetitive even if subtle, and 2) I suspect you'll end up with these random expressions playing also in other contexts outside the normal idling, like during a combat etc., I expect that the face is gonna be messed up while playing.

Behaviours has some slight and subtitle animations, in the group DN, some random and slight expressions could be added to that, but I have a feeling that in game it's not even noticiable. However, it could be tried.

On 1/27/2021 at 8:57 AM, A.J. said:

You can't make a new emotion called ambient but you can probably modify the main Idle of the player and add expressions to it, it loops continuously. But this means 1) the idle should be made very very long, or it'll become easily repetitive even if subtle, and 2) I suspect you'll end up with these random expressions playing also in other contexts outside the normal idling, like during a combat etc., I expect that the face is gonna be messed up while playing.

Behaviours has some slight and subtitle animations, in the group DN, some random and slight expressions could be added to that, but I have a feeling that in game it's not even noticiable. However, it could be tried.

Well in combat you wouldnt need it active as well your too busy to be looking lol

Id say the main area this effect would be seen is in dialogues with npcs

The idea is just to make the face feel more lively without it looking too deliberate, atm faces are too static and unnatural looking.

I think the main part of the effect is the eyes, making them look around as is there scanning the environment, the eyes shift around as a person might look at something then slightly look behind the object ect

In a dialoge it would be like there looking at you parts of your face your outfit maybe looking behind you at something that caught there eye ect

I see this as an extension to blinking, blinking is the most obvious face animation and eyes looking around would being another

Looking at the video of the skyrim mod you can see the character is looking around at objects in the environment, and as if they see something in the corner of there eye and they look to check ect maybe they slightly squint when looking at something, maybe they move the lips abit to adjust for comfort.

So really this sort of thing is meant to not be notable in a highlighted way, all its meant to do is make the npc face feel less static and more realistic/immersive. As for me a static face is more noticeable then an emotive face as we are used to and expect to see faces that are not static.

This sort of micro face expressions we see alot in modern games for that extra realism and immersion, so my idea was just to see if there was a viable way to simulate that to some small minimal degree

If you did add it to the player/npc idle animation with a longer loop i dont thing repetitiveness would be that bad as your not meant to stare at and watch it for long anyway and it wouldnt be any more repetitive then the body idle animation. Could this idle be swapped like you do with the body animation?

so you could have 5 or so face idle loops it can randomly pic from to brake up the repetitiveness 

If it could have an on/off global then it could be turned off during combat

Ideally the effect would best to be active during player/npc idle state(outside combat) and specifically during dialogues

But yer just ideas, was never sure about practical use. Was just more food for thought on things you could do

As you said before a good one to add would be specific expressions triggered in dialogues, maybe this could extend to the idle chatter that npcs do alot of idle chatter have a certain emotion intended in its delivery