Help, Skyrim armor conversion crashes my game

Acies Gecko

I have been reading some tutorials I found on this site to convert Skyrim armors to fallout. I converted some without problem.

But I found and issue I never had before trying to convert this armor: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/53705/?

When in outfit studio I try to save the project I get an error that says "unweighted vertices, at least one vertex does not have any weighting assigned to it..." I tried to search this error but I can't get a clear answer.

Anyways, I ignored this error and tried to get the armor in-game, but when I equip the armor the game crashes.

If someone could help me I've uploaded the bodyslide data and a plugin to load the outfit ingame. You need to download the textures from the original mod here http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/53705/?

Warhammer.zip

I can't really help you, but usually it's the textures causing this. You might want to double check them.

As for the unweighted issue, I never solved it myself but I know what 'needs' to be done: You need to add bones and paint their vertex weights inside your 3d modeling application, via a SKIN modifier (in 3ds Max, not sure what it's called in other packages). In other words, you need to 'rig' your model onto the skeleton of the model you're using. 

That's where I bugged out of creating my own custom models.

You used an old version of Outfit Studio to create the NIF file.

When you click on the BSSkin::Instances in NifSkope, the root parent is "None" (caused by old OBJ import), even though it should be set to 0 for the scene root.

So, go through all shapes (except for CBBE, that one's already correct) and add a 0 to the Root Parent.

When you click on the BSSkin::Instances in NifSkope, the root parent is "None" (caused by old OBJ import), even though it should be set to 0 for the scene root.

So, go through all shapes (except for CBBE, that one's already correct) and add a 0 to the Root Parent.

I did this and it still crashes.

Did you try it without the textures yet? What happens if you reimport all your OBJs and make a new NIF from scratch that way.

Did you try it without the textures yet? What happens if you reimport all your OBJs and make a new NIF from scratch that way.

Without the textures it works perfectly. I'll try to port the whole thing again from scratch now changing the root parent.

If it works without textures (showing up as pink etc.) then I don't think it's an issue of the mesh.

Did you use the proper compression formats for the texture files?

Diffuse/Color = BC3 with mipmaps and alpha

Normal Maps = BC5

Specular Maps = BC5

I used the same textures that came with the original mod. I never had a problem before.

There have been problems with FO4 in the past if the texture formats aren't what it would like them to be.

Especially missing alpha or mipmaps.

How do I solve this? I honestly have no idea.

Use Photoshop with the Intel Texture Works plugin to save the textures in the new format.

Or GIMP with the latest DDS plugin for it.

FO4 uses DirectX 10+ texture compression formats (BCn), while Skyrim uses the regular DirectX 9 DXT compression.

Finally! Thanks for putting up with me. I've never touched a texture in my life.

One last question tough. When loading the armor in-game the textures looks kinda glossy. All armors I've ported are like this. Is it normal?

The specular maps work differently in FO4. They have only 2 color channels instead of 3. The first and second channel do different things, one is for the strength and the other for the power. Or at least something along those lines.

I haven't made any specular maps for FO4 yet myself, so I don't know how exactly they're supposed to look like, but Skyrim maps can't directly be used in FO4 I think. You can also tweak the settings in the BGSM material file to reduce gloss.

Archived