Sexout or a mod that depends on it causing quicksaves to take longer than usual?

Yeah ok, you shouldn't use quicksave! - according to some.

WELL. I'll quit using it despite issues when Bethesda learns to code.

Anyway. I recently installed SexoutNG and some other stuff. Before installing, quicksaving took about a second and didn't lag the user at all for the most part. After installing Sexout (switched to beta later), SCR (switched to beta) and dependencies including NVSE Extender, quicksaves are now taking 10-15 seconds and freeze NV for the duration. I tried CASM out because I thought its save system might be different but nope, it made it hilariously annoying. I guess it might be NX as it introduces some kind of database saving with each save, although why it would take this long and halt everything in the meantime I don't know. This is a brand new-ish character too. Short of removing NX which is not possible due to Sexout requiring it and DON'T QUICKSAVE LOL! - any other options? Or am I doing something wrong and something got borked when I installed?

EDIT: I did some quick testing and eheh, wow. As long as the quicksave slot is unused when saving, it saves as quickly as it used to. However, quicksaving on top of a quicksave - which happens with quicksave (and some other save forms) since it only uses one slot - causes the lag. Would be interesting to know the cause though.

When you save a game the normal way, all three potential save sources (the game, nvse, and NX) all just create a new file and fill it in. When you quicksave (or autosave) it's just one file, so all those sources must first delete their save files. I don't know what the game engine or nvse themselves do when 'overwriting'. They may actually overwrite the file, or they might delete it and make a new one. NX does the latter -- when any save is created (normal, quick, or auto) it first checks to see if it's cosave file exists already.

If it does, it deletes it before making a new cosave.

Yeah ok, you shouldn't use quicksave! - according to some.

WELL. I'll quit using it despite issues when Bethesda learns to code.

<snip> 

EDIT: I did some quick testing and eheh, wow. As long as the quicksave slot is unused when saving, it saves as quickly as it used to. However, quicksaving on top of a quicksave - which happens with quicksave (and some other save forms) since it only uses one slot - causes the lag. Would be interesting to know the cause though.

I think you have your answer, no? Don't quicksave.

• 1 month later...

When you save a game the normal way, all three potential save sources (the game, nvse, and NX) all just create a new file and fill it in. When you quicksave (or autosave) it's just one file, so all those sources must first delete their save files. I don't know what the game engine or nvse themselves do when 'overwriting'. They may actually overwrite the file, or they might delete it and make a new one. NX does the latter -- when any save is created (normal, quick, or auto) it first checks to see if it's cosave file exists already.

If it does, it deletes it before making a new cosave.

Just out of curiousity, would saves from the CASM mod  http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/36730/? have the same issues?

Archived