Attn: n00b wants to learn!

ZigNewton

I want to learn to mod/script/papyrus or whatever, but I haven't the faintest idea where to start...

Here's the thing. I have almost zero modding experience with this game - and I say "almost" because my last attempt to make a simple follower with CK crashed and burned pretty hard (there were no survivors). I'm pretty good with Photoshop, 3DS Max, and have a very basic familiarity with Creation Kit, but that's not a lot to go on if I want to do what I hope to do.

I have a few ideas for SexLab plugins, but there's one in particular that I feel I just NEED to get off the ground! I don't want to be one of those posters who say "I haz mod idea, but cant mod, if sumboD could maek it plz KTHANXBAI", and I also don't want to start a new "[WIP] NEW MOD/PLUGIN" thread and get everyone's hopes up before I know what I'm doing.

This forum needs a "Modding 101" section or something - a workshop for all us n00bs to eventually combine our powers and summon Captain Planet accomplish things for the community! I know there are lots of people who want to learn or are willing to help with various things, they just don't know what direction to go to, or where to start - like myself.

If someone could point me in the right direction, I could finally start putting my "notes" into action... I would highly appreciate it!

By the way, I just gotta say Ashal: Dude, Bravo on the SexLab release. I stumbled on LoversLab way back when I was still using ASX and Animated Prostitution, and SexLab was just an idea, then shrugged it off with a "damn, good luck with that, buddy." I was under the impression that it took armies of people do release these kinds of mods.

My god man, you made a believer out of me! And everyone who's apparently releasing mods for it when "they are very novice modders" inspires me! And your avatar makes me giggle... what is that? XD

Hi ZigNewton,

The Creation Kit Wiki is pretty much the go-to site to learn about the CK and papyrus scripting, from what I've gathered. There are other good learning resources (Nexus Wiki, youtube), of course. But they are more targeted towards a specific subject, like armor creation or quest design.

I'm sure people will be able to give you better hints as to where to start if you can point out what area you're most interested in, since modding can involve a lot of different disciplines, but if it involves SL stuff, then you want to take a look at the Papyrus section of the CK Wiki and then at the SL API guide once you know the basics.

Good luck in your endeavor. Skyrim modding is a time consuming, but rewarding activity.

Edit: Tweaked the CK Wiki link to point to the tutorial section

I will get right on that, thank you! My two priorities involve making/adding new animations, and that SL plugin I mentioned. I might try to learn to weight-paint clothes and armor along the way (T/BBP, pregnancy, etc). Hopefully I'll learn enough not to break peoples' games :D

You're gonna be creating animations? Great, they are very sought after by users and modders around here (including myself).

By the way, for everything armor and 3ds Max related check out Nightasy's Tutorial series and for animation take a look at Canderes' vids in a thread from this forum. Your existing knowledge in 3ds Max is gonna come in handy for these.

Even though he hasn't visited the forums in a few weeks, I guess you can still pm Arrok for some orientation as far as animating and integrating animations in Skyrim is concerned. In this post, he also details his own process a bit and suggests tutorials and resources (scroll till you see a big green "Animation tutorials and resources" header). You might also want to get in touch with Gone or ShadeAnimator for pointers. There's also Fore's FNIS thread for anything having to do with havok and behaviour files.

I agree with Zadil for Papyrus resources. The CK wiki is a good introduction and a good reference too (just take the examples provided with a grain of salt, as most if not all are just that, examples meant to show you the syntax, not working code snippets). For more in-depth stuff (and help sometimes), the Bethsoft forums (the CK section more specifically) is a site you could visit. For an easy-to-follow -though incomplete- introduction to Papyrus, I recommend Cipscis' tutorials, which should give you a grasp of the basic concepts.

And finally, I think nothing makes one progress faster than actually coding some simple and then gradually not so simple scripts, working out why the compiler spews errors at you, and studying other modders' source scripts to see how they achieved what they set out to do.

Hang in there, and have fun.

May some of these links weren't mentioned yet:

The Creation Kit Wiki features a tutorial series for scripting; it's where I started too.
Then, this is a list of all/most commands Papyrus and SKSE currently have; for creating a MCM menu look here, to use SexLab look here (I know you've found that already, just including it for completeness sake).
Many modders also include the source code for their scripts, if so you can usually find these under /scripts/source in their download files; you may be able to learn a lot by looking at how other people's code.

I am worthless when it comes to artistic things but if you need help with a script or such I can always be of assistance there. Which brings up the last resource you need, when you just can't figure something out ask the others here if it's even known to be possible and if so what does it take to accomplish it.

This is Lovers Lab, we are here for you.

I want to learn to mod/script/papyrus or whatever, but I haven't the faintest idea where to start...

In the FNIS download section at nexus you can find FNISSpells Modding Tutorial.

A simple step-by-step guide how to make your own version of FNIS Spells. But it will show how to start with CK, scripting, and adding new animations to the game.

I am worthless when it comes to artistic things but if you need help with a script or such I can always be of assistance there. Which brings up the last resource you need, when you just can't figure something out ask the others here if it's even known to be possible and if so what does it take to accomplish it.

This is Lovers Lab, we are here for you.

Woah, I just realized you're the one behind SexAddicts! Dude, I'd be honored to have your help!

Yeah I'm the complete opposite of you then - useless when it comes to programming.

I think I ran into a thread asking to convert/create "monster girls", but as much as I liked the idea, I don't think I'm capable of creating a new skeleton plus hoards animations for every single creature in skyrim just yet. One thing at a time, people!

Just fixed a crippling issue with CK, and can finally do some real work. So psyched.

Do you mind if I ask what your idea is?

I am curious, I understand that there are endless possibilitys for mods that are yet to be created, good luck with your adventures? 

I've always been bothered by the fact that I could have my way with an NPC's wife five feet away from him without him batting an eyelash. I plan to address that - any married NPCs (or parents/siblings if you want in MCM) will encourage the use of either sneak or speechcraft for the joyride, or else a brawl with the angry spouse will ensue (you're probably going to be fighting naked if you're caught mid-coitus). I've got way more details worked out, but I'll leave it at that until I have something tangible to work with.

Being skilled with 3DS Max I assume you have some skill nifskope? 

It is not used at all when it somes to scripting but it is required if you plan to import any artistic (.nif files) new things in Skyrim.

I am not an expert in it but being strugling with it for quite a few days for a project of mine I can give you some pointers that will take you a lot of time to find. There is also the dedicated forum for nifskope, but I have never posted there so I can not be certain about its helpfullnes or not. 

Being willing to learn makes you a newbie, not a noob, there is a difference ^^

Eh... yes, my bad :P

Being skilled with 3DS Max I assume you have some skill nifskope? 

It is not used at all when it comes to scripting but it is required if you plan to import any artistic (.nif files) new things in Skyrim.

I am not an expert in it but being struggling with it for quite a few days for a project of mine I can give you some pointers that will take you a lot of time to find. There is also the dedicated forum for nifskope, but I have never posted there so I can not be certain about its helpfulness or not. 

The extent of my nifskope experience right now is opening it, and looking at models. I tried to edit a mesh once - there were no survivors.

Right now, I'm just trying to get used to CK to a point where I'm not so slow at doing things. Then I'll do it again with nifskope when the time comes. Like I mentioned, I'll wholeheartedly accept any help I can get :)

I also need some guiding light as well, I am almost blank on the modding as well. I have no idea how to use Photoshop or 3DS Max, I used the CK a bit, made a couple of mods on the nexus, mostly companions & a magic bundle to resemble the ones I made in Oblivion with spellcrafting. and, I don't really understand mod or tech. terms so it takes forever for me to understand something, might be great if someone actually helps me understand stuff though.

Archived