Curious about medium to heavy mod setup and FPS on modern hardware

Nepro

How much do you get FPS in unoptimized exteriors like Waterfront and Weye? Your game must be heavy to medium modded.  

5 members have voted

1. 1. How much do you get FPS in exteriors like Waterfront and Weye?

• 30 FPS and below
    • 30-40 FPS
    • 40-60 FPS
    • 60 FPS and above

Curious about medium to heavy mod setup and FPS on modern hardware. Can't seem to get decent 60FPS without stutter even with medium load order. What lovers and non-adult mods are FPS draining?

I'm not sure a completely stutter-free Oblivion is possible. I have FPS capped at 30 (after a lot of experimenting) and IC waterfront and Weye are smooth on a 4690k /GTX 960. It's an improvement over my old e8600/8800 GTX, but not as much as you'd think. While I can't answer your question directly, and my current system is 2-3 years old, I can say that hardware that is signficantly faster doesn't give proportionately faster Oblivion performance.

Things that do help (sometimes dramatically) are the pyffi mesh optimizer, and using the Nifskope "make skin partitions" (default settinge) on any clothing/armor mods (use the pyffi optimizer first, otherwise some meshes just disappear). Clothes with more than 4 bones per vertex can drag things down to single digits (don't ask me details, this is just stuff I learned from trial and error and a few thousand web searches.)

• 3 weeks later...

I run fps un-capped (it's limited to 100fps in OSR), running without ENB at 2560x1600 and it has no more stutter than when I run it at 1280x800. The game engine has some amount of stutter built-in, with OSR capped at 30fps the stutter is noticeably worse - for me at least.

My monitor (Dell UP3017) is only 60fps, but it handles content above 100Hz beautifully, I never notice the dropped frames. To answer your question, I get about 90+fps indoor and 45-65fps in all outdoor areas. Note the resolution, and that I don't use the ENB because the card simply has no spare processing power for it.

Hardware-wise it's a very weak machine - 7750 1GB that I brought back from the dead, an i3 2120 that I bought second-hand and in very poor condition, and 8GB of DDR3 memory. Not too many mods just yet, but I do have the Qarl Texture Pack and a mix of HGEC body+armor replacer and colorwheels. So not exactly vanilla either, and it does a pretty good job.

What you need to beware of are the following:

1. Mods with large amounts of textures and/or meshes in them.  If they are not properly optimized, then they will drag your performance into the gutter.  Thoughly research any mod like this and make sure they have extensively optimized both the meshes and textures.

2. Mods that have heavy in scripting that fire constantly.  While this won't be specifically pointed out in the mods description, you can make a reasonable assumption it does or doesn't just by what it is doing.  Something that triggers large amounts of spawn points might fall into this category.

3. Armors/clothes.  While this is addressed in item one, folks don't realize that just one armor mod that you are wearing that has a huge amount of poly's in the mesh can totally bork your performance.  Also, trying to run 2k or 4k bodies or textures.  I mean REALLY????  It is oblivion.  A 500 byte texture, or even 1k won't look any different if you playing.  Up close screenshoting would of course be different.  But if you were just doing that, you would care about fps now would you?

The more actors in the scene -  the less FPS. There is in the early version of Hentai Mania a place where there are a lot of rats, and although they are very far from the player FPS is  8-13.  Although, this also applies to the number of geometric objects (or their complexity)

Archived