[workaround / solved] Main Menu CTD after update 1.10.64

guk

Updated the game and F4SE + related mods, now the game launches and the intro movie plays.

Though as soon as i "press any button to start", the main menu pops up for a split second with the CC / Settings buttons inactive, and then it CTDs.

Update - block Fallout 4 in your firewall as a workaround, has nothing to do with mods or your installation

So far i have checked:

- plugins with missing masters (would be red in NMM, and FO4 wouldn't load them anyways)

- disabling F4SE mods one by one

- running the game without F4SE, directly from the Steam link

- removing the forced read-only INI status from FO4 Configurator

-----------------------------------

Load order just in case:

GameMode=Fallout4

Fallout4.esm=1
DLCRobot.esm=1
DLCWorkshop01.esm=1
DLCCoast.esm=1
DLCWorkshop02.esm=1
DLCWorkshop03.esm=1
DLCNukaWorld.esm=1
Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch.esp=1
ACS Master.esm=1
ConcealedArmor.esm=1
ArmorKeywords.esm=1
TrueStormsFO4.esm=1
XDI.esm=1
TrueStormsFO4-FarHarbor.esp=1
TrueStormsFO4-NukaWorld-FH-Compat.esp=1
FlaconOil HD ReTexture_High Quality Pack_Part_1.esp=1
FlaconOil HD ReTexture_High Quality Pack_Part_2.esp=1
UltraInteriorLighting.esp=1
UltraInteriorLighting_Automatron.esp=1
SPTFIRE.esp=1
SPTFIRE-NUKA.esp=1
Arbitration - Recommended Core.esp=1
AA Lots More Settlers and Enemies.esp=1
AA LMSE_FarHarbor.esp=1
AA LMSE_VTWorkshop_Patch.esp=1
HN66Fo4_EasyGirl_BS.esp=1
EnclaveX02.esp=1
UncappedSettlementSurplus.esp=1
SettlementMenuManager.esp=1
Mama Murphys Chair Redone.esp=1
BulbWire_Shadow.esp=1
extendedLightsWS - No shadows.esp=1
Brighter Wasteland Workshop Lights.esp=1
Vault-tec brighter lights.esp=1
NoLollygagging.esp=1
scavengesandboxmod.esp=1
CROSS_CosmeticFramework.esm=1
ACS Master.esp=1
ACS Paintings.esp=1
FatManRadiation.esp=1
xy - Jumpsuits.esp=1
CREAtiveClutter.esp=1
Binoculars.esp=1
RemoteExplosives.esp=1
3dscopes.esp=1
3dscopes-framework.esp=1
3dscopes-classicsniperaddon.esp=0
3dscopes-FarHarbor.esp=1
3dscopes-NukaWorld.esp=1
QuickTrade.esp=1
TheEyesOfBeauty.esp=1
AzarPonytailHairstyles.esp=1
Easier Hacking - 1 Word.esp=1
Easy Lockpick.esp=1
Guaranteed Pickpocket.esp=1
NoVanillaRadiantDLCLocations.esp=1
NoMoreRandomTurretMks.esp=1
Armorsmith Extended.esp=1
Armorsmith All DLCs Patch.esp=1
Armorsmith Combat Helmet Illumination 1.2.esp=1
Crafting Mastery - All DLC Hammo Clut Rep AE.esp=1
ValdacilsItemSorting-00-ValsPicks-DLCVersion.esp=1
FALLOUT4WT.esp=1
NoRailRoadBallisticWeaveCPL.esp=1
Smoke-able Cigars.esp=1
DavesPoses.esp=1
NukaRadBans.esp=1
Wall Oil Lamps.esp=1
ShortFlagpolesCond.esp=1
Craftable Armor Size.esp=1
VendorVariety.esp=1
AkaInvisibleFurniture.esp=1
Invisible_Guard_Marker.esp=1
More Guard Posts.esp=1
VerticalConduits.esp=1
Passthrough.esp=1
Housekeeping.esp=1
dinoshelf.esp=1
dinoshelf_extra_ammo.esp=1
ConstructionLight_Brighter_Shadows_Wireless.esp=1
MiscHairstyle.esp=1
ABP Paintings.esp=1
Goggles on Forehead.esp=1
FO4Hotkeys.esp=1
ExtendedHairColors.esp=1
CROSS_Uni_Headset.esp=1
KSHairdos.esp=1
LooksMenu Customization Compendium.esp=1
CROSS_Uni_Scarf.esp=1
Crimsomrider's Immersive Market.esp=1
AnS Wearable Backpacks and Pouches.esp=1
AnS Wearable Backpacks and Pouches - Power Armor Carry Capacity.esp=1
AnS Wearable Backpacks and Pouches - AWKCR.esp=1
AnS Wearable Backpacks and Pouches - AWKCR Power Armor.esp=1
AA Better Companions - No Conflicts.esp=1
WestTekTacticalOptics.esp=1
WestTekTacticalOptics-AWKCR.esp=1
WTTO - Colour Targeting HUD.esp=1
CROSS_Gear.esp=1
ShootingTarget.esp=1
CBBE Furry Undergarments Fix.esp=1
Mercenary.esp=1
MercenaryCBBEPatch.esp=1
OK Guard Posts.esp=1
LooksMenu.esp=1
Immersive Wastelanders.esp=1
MMP4APA-blue.esp=1
MMP4APA.esp=1
SkibsWeapons-REDUX.esp=1
AK74M.esp=1
AUG-A1.esp=1
RU556.esp=1
ReconPack.esp=1
Krebs.esp=1
Hermetic_PA.esp=1
Molerat_Disease_Immunity_PA_Hazmat.esp=1
CBBE.esp=1
Crimsomrider's DLC Ammo.esp=1
Tactical Flashlights.esp=1
Tactical Flashlights - Settings.esp=1
Pip-Boy Flashlight.esp=1
Thematic and Practical.esp=1
Thematic and Practical - DLC.esp=1
PhotoLight.esp=1
PhotoLightSlotOption.esp=1
WorkshopRearranged.esp=1
WorkshopRearranged_DEFUI+VIS_Patch.esp=1
Settlements - Lights Out.esp=1
BuildingGroundFix.esp=1
JustDebris.esp=1
Vertibird Alt Fix.esp=1
MoreAGOMBz.esp=1
Bigger Settlements-Bigger 1.esp=1
HAIA With Crafting.esp=1
MoreAGOMBz_CP_BgrStl.esp=1
Scrap Everything - Ultimate Edition.esp=1
ScrapUpdate - Ultimate.esp=1
Sporty Underwear.esp=1
Snappy_HouseK.esp=1
Snappy_ReBroken.esp=1
True Shadows Merged Patch.esp=1
ConcealedArmor.esp=1
LoveToCraftLegendary_SwapOnly.esp=1
LoveToCraftLegendary_SwapOnly_Automatron.esp=1
LoveToCraftLegendary_SwapOnly_FarHarbor.esp=1
LoveToCraftLegendary_SwapOnly_NukaWorld.esp=1
Scrap Everything - Bigger Settlements.esp=0
Spitfire Merged Patch 01.esp=1
spacefiddle_Follower-Stealth-Distance-Fixes.esp=1
LoveToCraft-AE-Patch.esp=1

Don't remember if it's possible to export the actually "installed mods" list like in MO, would probably be more helpful due to all the F4SE mods not having ESPs.

yNfHrOnn_o.jpg

10 minutes ago, Randlocher said:

@guk I've no idea, but maybe it helps: Just move into the Fallout4Prefs.ini and remove the full part [Bethesda.net]. You can make an backup, for sure.

Thanks, tried but same CTD.

No other progress so far; ran the Steam validation which re-downloaded 7 files with no change.

Also depending on wether the CC Cleaner mod is active, the darkened out main menu entries are either Mods + Settings or Creation Club + Settings.

Either way i assume that this has something to do with connecting to the Beth.net servers, since the game seems to run fine (with the Red Rocket movie in the background) until trying to get to the main menu.

I had this happen after the last game and F4SE update supporting 1.10.50.  I ran through my mods (like you did) which used F4SE and updated them, when the mod author patched.  I thought I had them all - but BAM, CTD each time at the same place you are seeing yours.

I ended up rolling back to a previous version of the game executable and F4SE - which of course worked fine.  I tried the new version again a week later, but after checking my installed mods carefully, in the mod manager (I use MO2) - but NMM still keeps track of unpacked mods and which files are included, etc, outside the game directory.  I forget the exact paths, as I haven't used NMM in ages.

Searching that NMM mods path for the folder F4SE will reveal which mods have an F4SE component to them.  I missed one when I initially upgraded.  When I went back the second time and verified them all, that was when I realized I missed something silly.  Once I updated that mod - the game loaded fine.  It was a Nexus Mod, as I remember, not from from LL.

Well i just uninstalled all F4SE mods, until there was nothing left in the F4SE folder except the LM Presets.

The same CTD also happens when running the game without F4SE through the Bethesda launcher.

Hmm i uninstalled the mod "Full Dialogue Interface", now checked its uninstall info and it says

3. Go to the Strings Backup folder contained in Fallout 4\Data and copy the three files from there into Fallout 4\Data\Strings, overwriting the mod's files

Though after uninstallation, there are no Strings or -Backup folders in my data folder. I guess the steam validation would have brought any missing files back?

5 minutes ago, Stuzy44 said:

F4SE is needing updated after the fallout 4 update..i just downloaded the latest F4SE and it's seems that it is not yet updated yet.

You should be seeing this on http://f4se.silverlock.org/

Fallout 4 runtime 1.10.64 - build: 0.6.5

If you still see an older number, try pressing CTRL+F5 to force hard refresh of the page.

Well apparently everyone else has the game running with the updated mods, i hope that this is just a temporary issue with the Beth.net server connection on my end. I just spent the past 3-4 hours trying to fix this crap, the final solution would be to remove / reinstall everything and i'm not sure if i can manage that. Too many settings and mod customizations done over the past 2 years to recreate the same working game i left 2 months ago.

4 minutes ago, guk said:

You should be seeing this on http://f4se.silverlock.org/

Fallout 4 runtime 1.10.64 - build: 0.6.5

If you still see an older number, try pressing CTRL+F5 to force hard refresh of the page.

Well apparently everyone else has the game running with the updated mods, i hope that this is just a temporary issue with the Beth.net server connection on my end. I just spent the past 3-4 hours trying to fix this crap, the final solution would be to remove / reinstall everything and i'm not sure if i can manage that. Too many settings and mod customizations done over the past 2 years to recreate the same working game i left 2 months ago.

Thanks for that...have you tried purging NMM files...if you do it cleans up..BUT...you may have to sort your mods in - game mods ...i did

I guess the purge button would remove anything like LooksMenu presets, outfits built by Bodyslide etc... probably not a good idea :-/

Well i just remembered - after the Creation Club was added, i also had very occasional CTDs at the same spot (pressing the "any" button to get to the main menu) - this eventually stopped after some time by itself, perhaps after the next CC mini-update.

Back to playing Skyrim for a few days, unless anyone has an idea i haven't tried yet.

When i did it..the mods in the game all disabled..but i went in and deleted them but before going onto the next one i reinstalled it..not loosing any presets and things..but body slide can be rebuilt...anyway just an idea...i hope you get it sorted..it also never touched any files outside of the data folder like bat files...not like skyrim...still love my skyrim...lol

--> Update <--

As suspected, this is an issue with the connection to the bethesda servers. Workaround:

Block Fallout 4 in your firewall ---> game no longer crashes after "press any button to start"

The main menu might take a while until it opens up, probably because it attempts to contact the servers despite being blocked. Though after that it should no longer CTD and you can load your savegames as usual.

The "Mods" and "Settings" buttons are still darkened out, though you can click and use the Settings button. Mods should be managed over NMM / MO anyways, likewise game settings should be done with the FO4 Configurator.

Seems like this is an older problem, thread from Dec 17

Archived