Boots on the Zipsuit

bleeargh

I really like the Zipsuit mod, however I'm tired of running around bare footed while wearing the Zipsuit. The author has created a version with some shoes for the Zipsuit, but they are high heels waiting for some kind modder to add the HDT high heels affect to Fallout 4. In the meantime, I'm using the Zipsuit that just wraps around your bare feet.

I've found a few "stand alone" boot mods on the nexus and Bethesda.net, but these boot mods occupy the same slot as the leg armor. I like having leg armor so these aren't an option. 

Is there anyway to get some boots on my poor character without nixing the leg armor?

Change the slots in the boots nifs to the foot slot then change the slot for the boots in the .esp to match the slot in the nifs. I don't know if fallout 4 has a armor addon like skyrim does or not as I don't have the game but if there is a armor addon for the boots then the slot must be changed in them as well. Once done save as to overwrite the .esp.

I just edited the NIF using BodySlide to create an outfit with boots, using the base (barefoot) zipsuit as a base.  I found I had to remove the feet from the zipsuit though.  Since the suit also includes the body, you'll need to remove the feet from both the suit and CBBE_outfit layer.  I had a pair of boots in EasyGirl that I thought would go nice for a proof of concept.  See screens.

1. Open up body slide and load the zipsuit outfit

2. Select the Suit layer

3. Using the mask tool, mask the feet (mask a little bit less than your boots need)

4. Shape>Separate Vertices (name it something like feet)

5. Delete the new layer (feet)

5. Select the CBBE_outfit layer and repeat 3, 4, 5 (now you should have an outfit with invisible/no feet

6. File>Import From NIF (choose your boots NIF)

7. If you boots NIF comes with a body (EasyGirl does), then delete that layer too

8. If needed, adjust the mesh volume (increase/decrease) of the suit or boots to remove any clipping

9. File>Export to NIF (replace the original zipsuit NIF you first loaded with the new one)

When done, it should look something like the 2 screens below.  One from BodySlide, one in game. 

zipsuit_boots.png

ScreenShot30.png

• 2 weeks later...

" 1. Open up body slide and load the zipsuit outfit"

is it the nif file in the Bodyslide/ShapeData folder?

and when you export the new outfit is it also to the same folder?

I followed all these steps you mentioned the boots were added but now the outfit is all "wrinkled"

as if i have screwed up the meshes

EDIT: nvm

got it working. I guess I had to load the outfit as a project not the nif file...

Thank you so much for the great tutorial :-)

Anytime!  I happened to edit the nif from the data/meshes... folder for that example.  That's OK, so long as you don't ever want to bodyslide it.  The bodyslide reference nif does not include the boots, so if I ever ran it through bodyslide it would revert back to the original version - as BS replaces the destination nifss with a resized version from the ShapeData folder.

If you wanted to do it "right" - edit the one in the ShapeData folder, then bodyslide it in to your data/meshes.... directory through BS.  This way, the change is permanent and you can change the body presets in the future, while keeping the boots.  If you do end up going that route on other outfits - remember to copy the bone weights from the base body reference.  This will reduce clipping and allow the outfit to move better with the character through animations.  For shoes, it doesn't much matter though.

hmm I did edit the nif file in ShapeData folder first but it screwed up the outfit

so I loaded the osp file instead and that worked

I also read the comment by the mod author of the Zipsuit about high heels in FO4

He mentioned that in order for that to happen without clipping through the floor a high heels scrip would be needed and there is one for Skyrim

so has anyone either made a new one or converted it to FO4 yet?

It would be amazing to get the high heels version to work without deforming the lower part of the leg like some of the Easy Girls boots do or clipping through the ground

I don't believe there is a high heels system yet, in the way that Skyrim had one - where the actor physically moves upward as a result.  I believe what we have are effectively clubbed feet in Fallout 4.  This is why the zipsuit high heels model clips through the floor so bad.  It looks like it was directly ported from the Skryim version without adjustments.

You could use the base zipsuit and mod on EasyGirl or other boots/shoes designed for Fallout 4 - the trade-off here is that the legs are shortened slightly to provide the correct height, foot position, and not clip in to the floor.

yeah some of the heels that come with Easy Girl are ridiculously high which also look weird because they made the lower part of the leg much shorter.

hmm I thought FO4 and Skyrim use the same game engine so it shouldn't be that hard to make a proper high heel system but what do I know I am just a noob :smiley:

edit: I am also wondering if this method of yours would work on outfits with physics

Archived