Randomly unable to open menus

Senick

So I recently started a new playthrough, I've installed a few new mods, but I'm not aware of any of them doing this intentionally. Seemingly randomly, for 10-15 seconds at a time, I'm unable to open any of the in-game menus. Tab, P, I, and so on just don't do anything. I can still move around, swing my weapon, Esc still works to bring up the main menu, it's just my character menus. Has anyone else encountered this before or have any idea what the cause might be?

Edit: Just tested Journal, and that opens just fine, and it also seems to happen a lot after fast traveling somewhere (but also just randomly sometimes)

I suggest posting your Load Orders, this isn't a vanilla bug that Im aware of.

It could just be that your game is crapping out from too many modules that need script time and also since papyrus is effected by the FPS so graphics overhauls contribute to overwhelming your game, check to make sure your FPS is optimal like 60FPS under stress is best practice especially for combat related mods.

There are on occasion some really outdated mods that will get pointed out to people in Tech support but obviously we cant help you cause you didn't post a load order.

You can post a papyrus log and sometimes people that are familiar with what they are looking at can help you based on that.

Other than that well your going to have to give more details like how long have you been playing this character,

When did this start?

How many mods did you install this week, relates to when did this start...See it could just be you installed a mod recently that isn't quite finished or has issues, requires other mods to run, requires the player to make his own patch, there are ton of reasons...Some mods have soft requirements which wont stop the game from functioning but don't work properly without the other mods...And so on.

As Gameplayer said, you are not providing a lot of info here. Buuut, mb.... foreveraloneguy, do you use the Skyui equip slots to change weapons and spells? Do you use ENB? Are you getting these freezes after you press f4 to swap gear? Cause that is also the hotkey for ENB to purge the vram, which freezes everything for a few secs. This happened to me for ages till someone mentioned it. Was infuriating.

I have the same problem since ages, through a lot of combinations of mods. It doesn't seem to be an FPS problem to me, really everything is fine, you can fight and ride and do all kinds of stuff and i didn't recognize any FPS drops or other performance problems, just certain menus like map and inventory aren't avaivable (just doesn't do anything, no errors or something) for something like 10-15 seconds from time to time. Not entirely sure if it's related, i think it happens often, but not always and not exclusive after loading a save and autosave. I also don't have any ENB installed at all, only ENBoost, and i don't use the fx keys for switching.

I've always considered it some side effect of devious devices because -as far as i can tell- it only affects the menus that are blocked in armbinders etc, but i'm not sure about that anymore... the dev version of DDi doesn't block those menus anymore and i still had this. Right now i don't have a load order where i know it happens, currently playing Thief with pretty much requirements only.

Something that might or might not be related: when opening the journal and press m to show me where on the map is my quest, it doesn't do anything. I have to quit & reopening the journal and then it works fine.

It's not such a big deal, most annying it is when it happens during a fight and i'd like to open inventory for a potion... but most times it just means "wait 10 seconds before checking the map/switching armor"

Archived