How to port a player character face from Skyrim to SSE?

Hi everyone,

I am just setting up my mods for Skyrim SSE. I've been an "Oldrim" player for a very long time - and a happy RaceMenu user. Now there is no RaceMenu for SSE yet. I tried to use ECE instead (it has an SSE version), but I just can't get anything done with it.

So I thought: maybe I can create a face for my main character in Skyrim LE, export it, and re-import it in Skyrim SE? Did anybody try to do this? Does this work at all? Note that I am not talking about game saves; I don't really care about game progress, I just want to port over the face of my main character.

In my despair I also attempted to use ECE presets (*.slot files) found on the nexus, but if there is a button on the ECE user interface to load them, then I did not find it (am I just stupid or does slot loading not work for SSE?). I'm pretty much stuck at the moment.

Any help/advice (other than "wait for racemenu SSE release" ;) ) would be appreciated.

Alan

There is actually an alpha version of Racemenu for SE out now, but it's not fully working yet. I got my oldrim character's face into SE using the alpha and it seems to work pretty well. If you want to try it, look in the comments of the oldrim Racemenu page on the nexus in the comments.

Edited by ns4002
36 minutes ago, ns4002 said:

There is actually an alpha version of Racemenu for SE out now, but it's not fully working yet. I got my oldrim character's face into SE using the alpha and it seems to work pretty well. If you want to try it, look in the comments of the oldrim Racemenu page on the nexus in the comments.

How exactly did you manage to do it?

The alpha racemenu for SE doesn't seem to recognize .jslot files for me.

16 minutes ago, znaroks said:

How exactly did you manage to do it?

The alpha racemenu for SE doesn't seem to recognize .jslot files for me.

Hopefully this works, I'm not the best at explaining things. So, I copied my oldrim Racemenu presets folder from "steamapps\common\Skyrim\Data\SKSE\Plugins\chargen\presets" to "steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\Data\SKSE\Plugins\chargen\presets", then go into Racemenu in SE and load presets like normal.

Edited by ns4002
6 hours ago, ns4002 said:

Hopefully this works, I'm not the best at explaining things. So, I copied my oldrim Racemenu presets folder from "steamapps\common\Skyrim\Data\SKSE\Plugins\chargen\presets" to "steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\Data\SKSE\Plugins\chargen\presets", then go into Racemenu in SE and load presets like normal.

Oh, I did that already, but the presets simply wont show up for me

EDIT: Alright, turns out, you have to put the presets directly into data folder, installing them through MO2, doesnt work.

Edited by znaroks
12 hours ago, ns4002 said:

how did you get racemenu to actually show up in game? i tried to use the alpha but it just looked like the normal race menu

5 hours ago, Daedal Dolphin said:

how did you get racemenu to actually show up in game? i tried to use the alpha but it just looked like the normal race menu

All I did was install the oldrim Racemenu into SE, then overwrote the older files with the new files from the alpha. Make sure to drag and drop the SKSE and Interface folders inside the "hudextension" folder(found in the skse64plugins.zip) into the SE data folder, and then do the same for the "skee" folder. Also make sure the Racemenu alpha and SKSE are up to date.

@Ironmind91 nice, thanks! I saw these instructions on the Nexus RaceMenu thread too. It seems straight-forward enough. Do you have any experience with this version? Is it stable (i.e. does it cause crashes)? Are there any important features missing? I can absolutely live without additional warpaints and that stuff (even without manual vertex sculpting) but I need the additional face sliders and in particular the color pickers.

@Ironmind91 I tried to follow your instructions now, but ModOrganizer2 can't even launch SkyrimSE (via SKSE64) when I have the RaceMenu.esp/RaceMenuPlugin.esp active. I don't get any error message, the game just won't start. Here's what the contents of the resulting archive file look like in my case:

image.thumb.png.9f88f43738f3f3cfc2827367ef3c2c58.png

Did I go wrong somewhere? Are there any requirements/prerequisites that I am missing?

Nevermind, I got it working. I carefully followed your instructions and tried hard not to mess up anything, and in the end I accidentally picked the Oldrim racemenu zip file for importing in MO2 that was floating around in the same directory, rather than the one that I prepared. *facepalms self*

Thanks for the hints and pointers!

I can finally confirm that this works very nicely. All features that don't work do not show up in the RaceMenu UI, so you have less features than in Skyrim, but at least you don't need to worry about crashing your game just because you touched a slider/option that doesn't work in SSE.

I did have some trouble with my *.jslot file. For some reason that I do not fully understand, copying it into the right place in the ModOrganizer "override" folder did not work; the file simply wasn't available in the list of presets in RaceMenu. Copying it directly into steamapps/common/Skyrim Special Edition/data/skse/plugins/chargen/presets did the trick for me. I finally have my good old character back <3

@jgrski19 Are you using mod organizer? I had the same issue, I solved it by copying the *.jslot file directly into the correct directory in my Skyrim SE installation. Copying it into the MO override directory for some reason didn't work.

Also, check your file path for spelling mistakes and typos.

17 hours ago, jgrski19 said:

Copying *.jslot manually into the correct folder doesn't work for me. The presets still don't show up in the menu.

What happens if you save a vanilla face as a preset, can you load that afterwards? If that works then you didn't place your presets in the correct folder.

Data\SKSE\Plugins\CharGen\Presets

I can't save and then load my vanilla preset either. ;/ I do get a message when starting skyrim trough SKSE64 that racemenu version is not up to date with current SKSE version, but can launch the game and racemenu anyway. Maybe the version is the problem, I dunno. Are you guys using the latest SKSE64? I also have a message in the top left of the Preset menu saying "CharGen presets not available" or something like that.

15 hours ago, jgrski19 said:

I can't save and then load my vanilla preset either. ;/ I do get a message when starting skyrim trough SKSE64 that racemenu version is not up to date with current SKSE version, but can launch the game and racemenu anyway. Maybe the version is the problem, I dunno. Are you guys using the latest SKSE64? I also have a message in the top left of the Preset menu saying "CharGen presets not available" or something like that.

Ah. I forgot about that >.<

RM64 Alpha requires SKSE64 version 2.0.5 / game version 1.5.16

I updated Skyrim SE today (or rather: *steam* updated my Skyrim SE), and while there's already a new SKSE64 version out for that (thankfully), the RaceMenu-port does not work with that version :(

Worst thing is: apparently racemenu *needs* to work to load my character the way it was, even when not using the "showracemenu" command in-game. Is that really how it's going to be now, with Bethesda breaking everything every two months or so?

• 2 years later...

so this is an old thread, but i couldn't seem to find a more recent one on the topic anywhere (off site). turns out you can use the jslots through MO2, but you have to use the load button.

anyway, when doing this, has anyone else had presets that distorted body proportions? i never used them on oldrim (so i have no basis for comparison), but several of them have beards clipping with their faces and disproportionate arms. they were the geonox presets from oldrim and only caius seems to actually work properly.