Star Wars Battlefront 2 Open Beta

Darkening Demise

Anyone playing it? What do you think?

I personally found it dull, too arcadey and very casual. The lack of destruction and any levelution really ruined it since this is a DIce and Frostbite engine game. Not to mention the pay to win microtransactions that will be there at launch to replace paid DLC (that's how they're giving us the DLC for free). No real customization either compared to Battlefield 4. AI was not smart either but Dice has never been good with AI as anyone who's played their older games would know. For $60 I say its not worth it but the open beta was fun to check out how different it is from the real Battlefront 2 by Pandemic Studios (R.I.P.). I think I will personally stick to the classic Battlefront 2 especially since the multiplayer was brought back online.

I thought it was initially very neat. Menus looked sleek and shiny (albeit clunky, in my opinion), models and textures looked superb, and animations looked great; it seemed promising. After entered a multiplayer match, though, it ultimately felt bland. Although it was exciting to run around and look at the environment, it quickly became a boring shoot/die cycle. Flying was at least fun, as long as I could avoid everyone...

I'm not particularly a fan of online shooters, but I had hoped that EA's Battlefront 2 would keep me interested. If I did buy it, it'd be for the singleplayer mode.

Same boat as you Darkening Demise. In the past couple years hyped games have been very disappointing. I'm trying not to be a pessimist but I felt like I dodged quite a few bullets not purchasing many of these hyped games. I kind of feel hypocritical since in past posts I claimed that if you like a game who cares play it regardless and I still stand by that which is why I am still playing games that were released a couple years back all the way to the early 2000's. I have kept going back to my archives and digging out some of the gems. (Been on a Castlevania binge lately.) The last game I bought was the Fallout 4 GOTY Edition and I have yet to open/install it because I have other games on my radar and want to give it a few more months to see how the modding community works out.

Anyways I went off topic. I'm not much for these online shooters but it was free so I gave it a try. What pisses me off for the online mode is the weapon/armor tweaking and how much/long it takes to get the resources to do upgrades and how they throw the stupid pay to win at you. Angry Joe talks about this in much greater detail. In the end it was alright. A solid "meh" in my eyes but this is my opinion. My views on these games are not very high so take my opinion for what it's worth.

:( damn @Quinn666 thanks for the video didnt know it was going to be that bad, I like battlefront but hearing this I gonna delete it and run away, Ill just stick to battle front 2 on my steam account its older  than hell but oh well. dodged a bullet.

where do you want to go dodged?

it becomes the usual practice even in single player games, now there are no more microtransactions, now it's called Loodbox!

it is one impudence without equal!  ;)

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/61261-paid-mods-and-bethesda-announcement-on-the-e3/?p=2030533

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/61261-paid-mods-and-bethesda-announcement-on-the-e3/?p=2030612

:( damn @Quinn666 thanks for the video didnt know it was going to be that bad, I like battlefront but hearing this I gonna delete it and run away, Ill just stick to battle front 2 on my steam account its older  than hell but oh well. dodged a bullet.

You dodge a big Mario bullet bill.

sadly I rarely play on console only two games I played from EA and that is the sims, and battlefront, I hate battlefield, COD, and most Multiplayer FPS, and that mainly cause I cant get into them. Only reason for battlefront is because well STORMTROOPERS. I mainly play grand strategies, RPG, or management games with crap tons of micromanagement. I am not really aware of EA or other games that do this other than MMO, or other multiplayer online games. Tera is the only MMO I play. so I am really oblivious to the cruelties that many of you face.

Found this topic a bit late, but I thought the game played pretty damn good after trying a few rounds. Class system is a sensible approach, though it doesn't seem all too different to just customizing a soldier with a gun and abilities in the first game only no jetpacks on standard troops now, damn. Keyboard/Mouse was pretty solid, for some reason my controller was aiming wonky like it seemed to have lower sensitivity when turning my head past a wall then faster when looking at nothing as if the wall was an enemy for aim assist, and the vertical axis seemed less sensitive than the horizontal for some reason, so i just gave up the controller and my kill counts suddenly skyrocketed lol. Naboo map 1st bit was a bit lacking, its like the 1 huge open corridor leading to the throne where everyone chooses burst snipers (I found myself with 2-3 kills in the 5 seconds before any enemy players got into cover) and side alleys for heavy class, but of course like the rest of the game it looked so good and the little things such as the birds and leaves were a nice touch (but dont think i didnt notice those texture glitches! lol cant avoid them in even the best looking of games) Per match units points/buy system is an ok system I guess, I like it better than glowing coins in the first game, only it's real easy to get something like a jet trooper early on for a few points (probably my favorite from the beta, its like a 2-3 shot pistol and you get a flippin jetpack so you basically dont get hit ever) or hero and just jump around murdering people the ENTIRE match if you dont just jump head first into like 10 enemies and die (im looking at you, nooby darth maul user. people that quickly smash through enemies one at a time and pick them off go almost the whole match with maul, 40+ kills). Star cards only add to the hero for the whole match problem, sheeple will just buy a bunch of loot boxes to get the best cards, making heros have damage reduction or whatever and make their guns do better damage etc. Crafting of guns and stuff sounds grindy, and the parts are ALSO part of the rng loot system for whatever god damn reason (oh i know what reason, it's MONEY) I would rather pay for a decent-good dlc season pass (if it included a few maps and/or single player dlc per pack all included in pass) than deal with this stupid free2play rng system in a AAA $60 game (or $79.99 for a slightly better version i guess? dlc is free so what do you get for 20 bucks more other than 3 days early access to multiplayer? lol). To get a crate without real money takes about 1100 credits, you get like 150-200 per match no matter how good or bad you do, I pray they change that as at the moment it would take ANY player a minimum of 5 matches to get ONE crate which gives only 1 chance at a decent card/crafting parts and the other 2 chances are pretty much guaranteed trash. Space battles were fun, objectives were a bit bland (hopefully just a beta thing, like i would love a deathstar canyon run or capital ship battles or something, ooooh and imagine if it had pod racing where you could bet on what players will win and shit HOLY FUCK MISSED OPPORTUNITY EH? HIRE ME EA, I'LL WORK SEMI CHEAP)

So TL;DR Game plays good, game looks great, classes are ok but I pray the full game has more than 3 guns per class, the units you buy per round seem a bit too powerful (heros make sense i guess), rng loot is gay, crafting is gay, basically all free2play pay2win systems in a full price AAA game are gay, no offence if you're gay or anything, not a lot of game modes so far, space battle objectives are kinda generic, hoping for cooler stuff on release but I tend to set my expectations pretty low.

Star Wars Battlefront 2 the original version on GOG and Steam is cheap, features loads of content, plenty of singleplayer stuff, and revived servers for online after 12 years being off. Go that instead. Hell its aged well surprisingly the AI is sometimes better than DICE for its BF2! XD (Then again DICE sucked at AI since 1942). >.>

• 2 weeks later...

Archived