Dark Souls bad news to PC Gamers, Sleeping Dogs good news

According to this link here, Dark Souls has the rendering locked to 1024x720. The output can be upto 1080p but then the internal resolution will still be 1024x720. Plus a 30fps cap.

The latter 30fps cap can be removed via hacks, but the internal resolution is just tricky.

Since I own a 1080p monitor, I might compromise falling to resolutions upto 1600x900, but 1024x720 is just horrible. Imagine some low-medium quality movie/anime you have at 1024x576, and when you try to watch it on your 1080p monitor.

I know the game is hard and challenging, but the 1024x720 is just horrible.

This somewhat makes me happy I got Inversion without thinking. Atleast it renders at 1080p.

Ohh and also, Sleeping Dogs turns out to be a much better game than I thought, will be getting it the day it is out without a second thought.

News about Sleeping Dogs here.

Says DirectX 11 support, and day 1 HD textures pack. The only thing I pray for now is that my 1Gb GPU doesn't feel bottlenecked.

Wow, what a huge dissapointment. I was really looking forward to Dark Souls on the PC but this may kill it for me.

While these absolutely ridiculous restrictions might be solvable, what worries me more is what is implied here. If from soft can't port a game properly, then how will the game fair in other aspects? For example, how will the ported controls look/play like? Will there be bugs/glitches/and graphical hiccups?

Guest Lady Luck

lol i told my friends dark souls barely can make to the scene it's laughable they trying to hard to be awosome when fps is crap. i bet yall this game is unmoddable no tools to improve it.

The maker of dark souls stated long ago that the game would not be moddable since this would be their first ever PC attempt. This does not mean however that all is lost. If the core of the game is good and the graphics are at least "decent" there is a chance some of the genius modders out there might try to crack it open and make the necessary changes. Unfortunately this will take time so pre-purchasing or getting it when it first comes out may be risky.

I myself pre-purchased it just to give it a whirl as it looked interesting to me. I do like a game that is so difficult it flusters me, to tinker with every once in a while and this may just fit the bill.

Dark Souls is STRAIGHT port from Console.

No proper support for keyboard + mouse.

No optimization.

All bugs & glitches from console will be ported to PC version.

Creators of the Game said straight that they have no idea about porting games on PC

Now no one is going to complain about GTA4 being a bad port.

It atleast renders at 1080p(any resolution) and is moddable to a huge extent.

Although there is one thing, apparently I think there was a petition where PC gamers were crying to get it on PC, and now when its on PC they all just abuse and walk away. I won't say anything in this matter, because for one who is playing this game doesn't care about the graphics. And those people are very less probably.

In my opinion its going to go this way -

next game - "we are not doing a PC version because the sales weren't enough", mess up a game and complain about sales.

I believe even Bulletstorm 2 is not coming on PC because them developers complaining about PC piracy. Though Bulletstorm wasn't a bad port.

Since a Japanese developer is making it, I have no doubt that I'll like the game, I just don't know I'll like it enough to play it till the end with them annoying graphics. I'll pick it up from a friend I guess, and if I like it enough to finish it I'll get a retail dvd for my collection.

Last but not the least, I'm giving this month's love to Sleeping Dogs.

Guest Lady Luck

Lol ..... I rather wait bulletstorm then this crap seriously i would buying originals forget about that now , i seriously think devs are high on skooma or something PC sales werent enough? , * facepalm * im done with stingy company thank god im ubisoft and bethesda supporter not that i hate other game is just blech they are too stingy plus dark souls 1080p cough * 30 fps * it's like that game made out of potato if you know what i mean

• 2 weeks later...

I think you're being a bit too harsh there domgar. Dark Souls (and demon souls although I haven't played it) is one of the most challening, rewarding, hardcore, but also balanced gaming experiences of any game in the past several years. Yes, From Software didn't optimize the game properly and don't know much at all when it comes to porting (they were basically forced to make the port because the entire fanbase was demanding it) , they still are great game developers and I'm confident that over time they will improve and excel in the gaming industry.

Guest Lady Luck

I think you're being a bit too harsh there domgar. Dark Souls (and demon souls although I haven't played it) is one of the most challening' date=' rewarding, hardcore, but also balanced gaming experiences of any game in the past several years. Yes, From Software didn't optimize the game properly and don't know much at all when it comes to porting (they were basically forced to make the port because the entire fanbase was demanding it) , they still are great game developers and I'm confident that over time they will improve and excel in the gaming industry.

[/quote']

not being too harsh why demon souls have more fps but the sequel doesn't because they dont have much experience on their engine, if we werent too harsh on em , it's like dark souls didn't have too much effort on it , devs on that game should listen of what they fans want on pc if they release mod tools for it , at least they got excuse to be greatest game ever made like i said forget mod tools " they modding the game on pc platform will ruin their sales"

I think you're being a bit too harsh there domgar. Dark Souls (and demon souls although I haven't played it) is one of the most challening' date=' rewarding, hardcore, but also balanced gaming experiences of any game in the past several years. Yes, From Software didn't optimize the game properly and don't know much at all when it comes to porting (they were basically forced to make the port because the entire fanbase was demanding it) , they still are great game developers and I'm confident that over time they will improve and excel in the gaming industry.

[/quote']

The way you put it, it kinda makes me rage over all the final fantasy lovers. I mean why couldn't they request a proper FFXIII port to the PC? Square Enix is no fool, look at Sleeping Dogs. They know how to make a PC game.

You know that game would look totally delicious if its done correctly, and I'm sure people who aren't familiar with JRPGs will get into it a little. And with releasing FFXV on Luminous they'll hit the jackpot. But I just don't know how the world works. Look at The Last Remnant, it uses UE3, so its limited but still the story was great, the game was tweakable via config files and looked delicious, got me into JRPGs.

In my opinion FFXIII with proper graphics on the PC will have WAY more sales than Dark Souls, since people wouldn't want to get introduced to a game which runs badly. Though I shouldn't be comparing both since both are by different studios, but its still Japanese developers, they do weird things :|

Well I'm playing Dark Souls Prepare to Die and with fix that solve the 1024 lock problem game looks quite nice.

But I can't understand how they where able to break x360 biding.

The info on the screen will tell you "Press A to read info/loot etc" while A is binded under...X button.

Dark souls is very close to unplayable on the PC, the camera with the mouse is really REALLY jerky, there is a patch for the AA and resolution issue, but stuttering and slow-downs are frequent...and in a game which quick timing and reaction is key...

Keyboard optimization is total crap, please save yourself the trouble and stick a 360 controller in your PC if you're going to even attempt to play it. Even the tutorial are in 360 buttons...its ridiculous. (end key to open menu?)

Sleeping dogs on the other hand, optimizes very well and runs extremely smoothly (I know the graphics isn't that good in the first place). Gameplay wise, the camera when driving vehicles is retarded. Seriously, you move the mouse 0.1 inch and the camera just turns like 360 degrees. Save yourself the trouble and don't even touch the mouse during driving times.

Sleeping dogs reminds me of Kingdom of amalur...both just takes cool things from other games and smashes them together into one incoherent mess. They're not bad, but both are mediocre games.

Have fun, I wouldn't spend 60 on either game, maybe when DS:PTD comes to console Ill pick it up for 360.

Well, I have played for a couple of hours now and damn this game is hard! I have lost count of the number of times I have died. This isn't your get in and hack\slash type game at all! .....unless you want to die even more often!

As to the controls, I have tried playing both with the keyboard\mouse and the gamepad. It is manageable on the keyboard mouse if you are really old school like me. Some of the keys are default mapped in really funky places (as has been mentioned before). Also mentioned is they give out a steady stream of gamepad tips for moves that don't have any meaning for keyboard\mouse.

Despite all of the quirks and poor porting stuff I am still enjoying the crap out of this game. It won't appeal to many folks just because it is so damn hard.

Cheers,

Greg

After countless deaths and a few rage quits, I finally made it to the big bridge that leads to the castle, only to get toasted by a F'ing massive dragon! I am giving up for the evening to give my eyes a rest and get a fresh start tomorrow. I love how the game is freaking difficult, without being impossible.

Also, do the blood touch hints actually help any of you? I have watched them and they just don't give me any clues what so ever on what to do. I have managed to kill most things with sprint attacks, then rolling to get behind and deliver a critical strike to the back. If that doesn't kill them then roll and strike, rinse and repeat until they die. So far it has worked very well for everything including the bosses I have faced. Now the dragon.....yea....not so much. I did see a passage going below the bridge and I almost made it to it before I died. I guess I will try that tomorrow.

Small tip with Dragon

You can farm souls over and over there (555 each time ) just run to the left, there will be stairs down, go through opening on the left and you will find a ladder down which leads back fireplace. Now use it and climb, go back to the stairs leading to dragon as soon as you get out dragon will use fire breath,run back to stairs all enemies will die and you will get souls, now back to fireplace and repeat.

Also when you get down the stairs there will other path you can take.

When you kill mobs in there you will see Dragon Tail on the right, shoot it with Bow or Crossbow (Binoculars needed in case of Xbow ) enough times and tail will fall off and you will get kick ass Dragon Sword dealing 200 Dgm.

Guest Lady Luck

Small tip with Dragon

You can farm souls over and over there (555 each time ) just run to the left' date=' there will be stairs down, go through opening on the left and you will find a ladder down which leads back fireplace. Now use it and climb, go back to the stairs leading to dragon as soon as you get out dragon will use fire breath,run back to stairs all enemies will die and you will get souls, now back to fireplace and repeat.

Also when you get down the stairs there will other path you can take.

When you kill mobs in there you will see Dragon Tail on the right, shoot it with Bow or Crossbow (Binoculars needed in case of Xbow ) enough times and tail will fall off and you will get kick ass Dragon Sword dealing 200 Dgm.

[/quote']

Lol han i smell cheating thats old trick how to bypass the hard part of dark souls its same way i did before i end up like greg

and yeah i played this on x360 i wonder why is so laggy on ps3 but x360 has decent frame rate idk whats the deal with devs its like they high on crack or something .

lol anyway in my honest opinion from demon souls to dark souls even its shit its so addictive it makes you want to step in and play over and over again you kept dying but clearly you still wanted to see the ending XD

Ahhhh...Smile

Thanks!!!!

I will try that tomorrow. I played for 8+ hours today so my fingers are all cramped up. Tomorrow that damn dragon dies no matter if it takes another 8 hours!!!!! Smile

- greg

aww poor greg XD , i sense someone is rapping the X button alot lol

" come on bitch die!" AAafffuuuuuu XD

Lol why is Sleeping Dogs good news? Besides the setting its a pretty standard open-world shooter from the looks of it no? Dark Souls at least has a few unique things going for it.

Sleeping Dogs is an optimized PC game and NOT a console port. It has day 1 HD-Textures pack and DirectX11 support. I think that is news considering the amount of direct console ports out there. I haven't played it yet so can't comment on the former but I'm sure it will run better than GTA4 on my PC.

This also means that Square Enix KNOWS how to make a PC game properly, whereas in Dark Souls, the fact that the company released a resolution lock which a modder figured out how to bypass within hours is just stupid IMO.

Guest Lady Luck

Lol why is Sleeping Dogs good news? Besides the setting its a pretty standard open-world shooter from the looks of it no? Dark Souls at least has a few unique things going for it.

Sleeping Dogs is an optimized PC game and NOT a console port. It has day 1 HD-Textures pack and DirectX11 support. I think that is news considering the amount of direct console ports out there. I haven't played it yet so can't comment on the former but I'm sure it will run better than GTA4 on my PC.

This also means that Square Enix KNOWS how to make a PC game properly' date=' whereas in Dark Souls, the fact that the company released a resolution lock which a modder figured out how to bypass within hours is just stupid IMO.

[/quote']

Correcto Nano you made a good point

When sleeping dogs exist " Square enix " make an awesome come back

it's first time they released big budget and really in " kamikaze " style it's a huge gamble wether sleeping dogs is gonna save square enix or not to be honest i see how their sales is doing not really good.

when activision is so retarded dropping True crime series SE took the game to the next level and have huge success even few people complained here and there.

Forget all the final fantasy topic for now people who made dragon quest also involved with sleeping dogs .. uh that's really shocker isn't it..

But why in the holy fuck does Dark Souls have poor PC port let me tell you it's not from xbox 360 , its from ps3 port , all in new porting strategies now is on ps3 remember how some of the games wasnt from x360 port that's why it has poor framerate

dark souls could have been successful if they do it like sleeping dogs make an actual build for pc and not from the console but noooo they want to port over console instead.

evantually i dropped on pc game because i know it will literally failed, people are reluctant to see the game on pc, and know its gonna go bad and stick to console instead, to be honest again dark souls is meant for consoles to begin with pc is really dumb idea to begin with, i think porting this game will seriously hurt the franchise , think im just saying shit, just watch give the game a week the pc fans will literally buried this game to the ground with stupid patches.

This also means that Square Enix KNOWS how to make a PC game properly' date=' whereas in Dark Souls, the fact that the company released a resolution lock which a modder figured out how to bypass within hours is just stupid IMO.

[/quote']

While I have no arguments with Square Enix or their latest game (as I have not played it) I will say that in the case of Dark Souls and their game developer it is really a case of "ignorance" than "stupidity". They clearly know how to make a good game! I am having a blast playing it myself.

This port is their first attempt to enter the PC market, and in an interview they freely admitted that they had zero experience doing so (which was why it doesn't support modding). Many companies have done far worse with PC dedicated games, let alone ports. Now if they release a second game in the future and it has the same issues, "then" I think we can reasonably cry foul and sick the dogs on them......:P

Guest Lady Luck

[/quote']

While I have no arguments with Square Enix or their latest game (as I have not played it) I will say that in the case of Dark Souls and their game developer it is really a case of "ignorance" than "stupidity". They clearly know how to make a good game! I am having a blast playing it myself.

This port is their first attempt to enter the PC market, and in an interview they freely admitted that they had zero experience doing so (which was why it doesn't support modding). Many companies have done far worse with PC dedicated games, let alone ports. Now if they release a second game in the future and it has the same issues, "then" I think we can reasonably cry foul and sick the dogs on them......:P

exactly greg ,

seriously if these guys dont have experience why port on pc, that's like ok let's make a port on pc " did we just make mistake" lmao its gonna be laughing stock the whole gaming community if this were ever shipped if it does i could see grins and l33t puns on other forums.