How to Change an NPC's hair color?

thek8ikat

I've been wanting to know if there's a way (other than using wigs or doing an NPC visual transfer) to change an NPC's hair color. Mainly, I'm a total nerd and was wanting to give some of the characters unnatural hair colors. I tried to change one NPC's (using the NPC overhaul SOGs) hair to blue in Tes5edit, but it didn't show up differently in game. It's not a big deal if it can't be done with a given mod, but I just thought I should ask.

I've been wanting to know if there's a way (other than using wigs or doing an NPC visual transfer) to change an NPC's hair color. Mainly, I'm a total nerd and was wanting to give some of the characters unnatural hair colors. I tried to change one NPC's (using the NPC overhaul SOGs) hair to blue in Tes5edit, but it didn't show up differently in game. It's not a big deal if it can't be done with a given mod, but I just thought I should ask.

The best way to do it is through the CK.  Reason is if you change something on an npc like hair/hair color/etc, you need to export the head through the CK otherwise you'll end up with the infamous "dark face" bug.  This is the reason you don't see mods that allow you to just change hair or hair color on npcs.  Wigs work because you aren't actually changing anything on the NPC.  The wig is basically a hairy helmet, and the normal hair is hidden when a helmet is worn.

The best way to do it is through the CK.  Reason is if you change something on an npc like hair/hair color/etc, you need to export the head through the CK otherwise you'll end up with the infamous "dark face" bug.  This is the reason you don't see mods that allow you to just change hair or hair color on npcs.  Wigs work because you aren't actually changing anything on the NPC.  The wig is basically a hairy helmet, and the normal hair is hidden when a helmet is worn.

Aaah. Okay. Thank you.

Archived