Man, I Just Don't Get It...

C5Kev

I've been playing Skyrim for quite a long time now, and have (I think) learned a lot about it (well, basics). But it seems as of late, I'm CTD'ing more than ever and I just don't get it. We all know Skyrim's a bit twitchy and mods don't help, but this is getting ridiculous. I can't even get into the "teens" levels without a game seemly not being repairable using Script Cleaner or Scalpel and the need to start over. I'm so sick of going through Bleak Falls I could scream!  :D  Hell, my last game CTD'ed (at reload) on level 2!

As of now, I'm only running 117 mods... LL mods (for the most part) are SL, SLA, SOS, SLEN, SLAL, ZAZ, Defeat and SL Kidnapped. It just doesn't seem like I have any conflicting-type mods loaded, so I don't know what's going on here and it's driving me nuts.

I do see recommendations for a zillion different "Crash Fix" type mods, but reluctant to utilize them fearing they'll just f*ck something else up in addition to simply wasting a load order spot. Any thoughts on those?

I'm currently at, I believe, level 3 and it won't load  ???  ...and haven't even run a single SL sex scene. I try looking at the log to determine what's going on, but I really don't know what the Hell I'm looking at, so that seldom helps.

I use LOOT (sparingly), but also move mods around in NMM based on the author's recommendations. So, does anyone have ideas as to what's up based on my load order / log to help me keep my sanity ( <---  although that's subjective)?  Thanks!

Papyrus.0.log

SkyrimLoadOrder.txt

I found the best way to improve stability for Skyrim was to move to Mod Organizer, and have never looked back.  I can now easily any problem given how MO works, and I recommend you to switch to it if you have to reinstall Skyrim due to how many mods you may have, with messy merging and the like. 

The mod Crash Fixes by Meh is a very good SKSE plugin to use (no esp/esm).  It does many things, but the main feature of it nowadays is the memory allocation patch, which completely replaces the SKSE memory patch.

Look into ENBoost (included with ENB) for better memory management, it allows for Skyrim to use more than ~3.2 Gigs of RAM.

Also, never uninstall mods mid game.  That will cause issues during that save, and cannot be repaired.  Its just how the engine is, and while tools like the Script Cleaner may help sudden issues, you will see problems down the road during that playthough.

With my current mod setup, I am using Mod Organizer with 210 esp/esm plugins ( and I will add more), my mods folder in MO is ~170Gigs, using an ENB, and my game doesn't crash for hours.

So after all that, I'd say best of luck with your troubleshooting... Cheers :)

As mentioned, Crash Fixes works well.  Make sure to follow all of the instructions for it.  (Gordon:  To clarify, you don't need the SKSE memory patch ONLY if you have a specific setting turned on in Crash Fixes AND are using the SKSE Plugin Preloader.  Otherwise it's still needed.)

Speaking of which, make sure to set the memory settings in the SKSE.ini (except as specified in the Crash Fix page).  Google it.

Safety Load is useful as well.  Also suggested on the Crash Fixes page.

If you are using an ENB, then you are already using the memory boosting ability of ENB.  If not, use ENBoost - follow the instructions exactly.

As you mentioned, using LOOT is good, but yes, follow the mod makers recommendations for mod placement regardless of LOOT placement.  Although I have last count of how many mods say "This should be last in your load order" - how can 14 mods be last?  Which should be last of the last?  Of the last?

Finally - 2 things to use.  May not help with crashing, but can fix many issues among the mods:

1)  TesVEdit/XEdit - use this to create a merged patch.  It has an automated function to create a patch based on the mods in your load order and will automagically handle conflicts.  HOWEVER, go over the results in the patch and you may have to manually change some things (especially in the NPC area).  Also, before saving the patch, delete "Leveled NPCs" and "Leveled Items" from the patch.  These are better handled by WryeBash.  Speaking of which...

2)  Download WryeBash and use it to create a Bashed Patch.  This Patch will merge leveled lists from you mods (items and npcs).  Without this, if you have 2 mods that modify leveled lists, then the last one that modifies the list wins.  With the patch, both mods changes will be used.  An additional benefit is that Wrye Bash will automagically merge some mods together into the Bashed Patch, which can free up esp slots.  I am not sure what WB bases it's choice for merging - I assume a mod with no additional files like meshes, textures, a .bsa, external scripts, etc and that makes only minor record changes.  Wrye Bash can be launched through ModOrganizer or through NMM (I believe, I haven't used the newer NMM since it switch to it's profile system).  In my load order, it merges 10 mods together, freeing up 9 slots (10 mods - 1 bached patch).

Finally - if you are happy with using NMM, keep using it.  Both MO and NMM work perfectly fine for installing mods.  MO has some nice benefits, such as being able to move mods around changing the "install" order, where NMM does not have this feature (not sure about the current NMM and it's profile system - but the older version required you to uninstall and reinstall mods if you wanted to change the order).  But again, if you prefer NMM, stick with it.  If you like the idea of MO, then use it but makessure to follow the instructions for it at the STEP link in my sig, and there are some videos around that can help.

Also, some ctds can still occur even with all of the fixes available - it is Bethesda/Skyrim you know  :angry: .  A cool breeze can cause it to crash...  Sometimes even with Safety Load you can run into a load that won't load.  Best fix for this is to either load an earlier save (I usually make a save during the Alternate Start right before I talk to the statue of Mara and use that save) then load the current save that won't load, or from the main menu go into the console and do a "coc qasmoke" (may need to search to get the exact command) then load the save that won't load.

--  snip  ---

-- snip --   "This should be last in your load order" - how can 14 mods be last?  Which should be last of the last?   LOL!!!  I wondered that myself!  " I usually make a save during the Alternate Start right before I talk to the statue of Mara"   Yeah, ditto.

Thanks guys for your suggestions, but I don't believe my prob's stem from not having MO or Crash Fixes. And yes, one can change load order via NMM. 

I am running Safety Load and PureVision ENB.

I do have a new i7 7700K, 16G with a GTX 1080 coming in a few days (which only means I'll start and crash much faster :angry: ) and will seriously look into MO since I'll need to install everything...

But there HAS to be a reason as to why I'm crashing and / or not loading game saves...  ...and I can't figure this out. Never had this prob before. Well, not like now. Frustrating to be sure!

Are you using ENboost or skse memory patch? This is probably more helpful info than a papyrus log in cases of crashing and failed saves.

When you use save game editors what are you seeing that has to be repaired?

You're mod list is not too complex so it should be pretty easy to sort out the culprit but first it's important to know that you are able to get past the skyrim memory limitations, if you are not using any of those memory utilities then you will crash and will be unable to load saves that were close to the limits.

Only mod in your list I know to have caused problems for me is in the elvenia.esp armor the hdt earings will always crash my game if I put them on anyone and they move around a bit but that might just be an issue with the hdt.xml I'm using I just never bothered to check. I can still load saves I think but I don't use the earings ever anymore.

I've solved a lot more problems using crash dumps than papyrus log, if you are not finding script issues when using a save tool then the problem is probably not going to log.

Add  this to skse.ini

[Debug]
WriteMinidumps=1

Go here to upload the log and post it here maybe it will be useful maybe not.

https://www.osronline.com/page.cfm?name=analyze

Are you using ENboost or skse memory patch? This is probably more helpful info than a papyrus log in cases of crashing and failed saves.

When you use save game editors what are you seeing that has to be repaired?

You're mod list is not too complex so it should be pretty easy to sort out the culprit but first it's important to know that you are able to get past the skyrim memory limitations, if you are not using any of those memory utilities then you will crash and will be unable to load saves that were close to the limits.

Only mod in your list I know to have caused problems for me is in the elvenia.esp armor the hdt earings will always crash my game if I put them on anyone and they move around a bit but that might just be an issue with the hdt.xml I'm using I just never bothered to check. I can still load saves I think but I don't use the earings ever anymore.

I've solved a lot more problems using crash dumps than papyrus log, if you are not finding script issues when using a save tool then the problem is probably not going to log.

Add  this to skse.ini

[Debug]

WriteMinidumps=1

Go here to upload the log and post it here maybe it will be useful maybe not.

https://www.osronline.com/page.cfm?name=analyz

Thanks for your input. As stated, I'm running PureVision ENB, so I believe ENBoost is part of that, as well as creating the mem patch info in skse.ini. Mine, however, looks like this (higher mem numbers):

[Display]

iTintTextureResolution=2048

[General]

ClearInvalidRegistrations=1

[Memory]

DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=1024

ScrapHeapSizeMB=384

[HAVOK]

iNumThreads=4  

bHavokDebug=0

fMaxTime=0.0157

bDebugMultithreaded=0

"You're mod list is not too complex"  That's what I thought, so I don't get why I'm suddenly having issues.  I hadn't heard about Elvenia issues - and had at one point, spoke to the guy that created HDTEarrings (which I've had for quite a while) as I thought it was creating a follower disappearance issue. He didn't think so, but I knew better. I never had a problem with the earrings myself (PC), just had followers go bye-bye when I put them on them. I can certainly blow those out as they're no big deal. And I also found out from srayesmanII that the "HDTInvisibility Fix" mod I had was causing some issues with Dustman's Cairn (???), so I blew that out and that was fixed.

I just recently found out about the Minidump line for SKSE.ini, so I'm going to put that in and see if I can make any sense out of it.

"When you use save game editors what are you seeing that has to be repaired?"  As of late, I've been using Scalpel ...as Script Cleaner didn't seem to be fixing things. In either case, none of it makes any sense to me anyhow, so I can't tell you any more than that. Scalpel usually finds / terminates 1 or multiple scripts, but have no idea which ones they are (or if they're essential).

As I also said above, I have a new box coming in a few days, so I'll be installing all new junk on it. So I guess I'll just limp along until the new box shows, then ruin that...  :D   ...and start bitching again when THAT doesn't work.  :angry:   LOL!

Why is the RDO Usleep patch loading before RDO?

The patch should load after.       Swap your load order between the two.    Run TES5Edit and look for warnings about masters not loading in the correct order.

I don't know about racemenu morphs.. because I do not use them.. but you may want to check and make sure on that one as well.. since it is loading before racemenu.

Why is the RDO Usleep patch loading before RDO?

The patch should load after.       Swap your load order between the two.    Run TES5Edit and look for warnings about masters not loading in the correct order.

I don't know about racemenu morphs.. because I do not use them.. but you may want to check and make sure on that one as well.. since it is loading before racemenu.

Yeah, saw those and have moved the patches.

You know, I'm saddened to have to admit this, but I'm really a big-time fucking dope! Others have said "Look at stuff in TES5Edit" and I never do. I have no errors in LOOT, so why bother?  What a mistake...and I should have known better!!!  2 mods had errors (one from 2015 that's no longer available, I wonder why?) and I've removed both of them. Not sure yet of my outcome yet, but knowing Skyrim's twitchy, they certainly can't help being there.

Thanks Lodakai for re-enforcing that point. I'm my own worst enemy...   :s   ...and can't believe I'm that stupid!

Besides stuff already mentioned, you shouldn't change load order mid game either, that might (doesn't mean it has to, but...) actually be worse than a less-than-perfect order. You can add a new mod and put it somewhere it fits, but don't switch other mods. MO has the option tp backup and restore load order, if you install something and you don't know where to put it, make a backup, install the mod, run loot, note the position of the new mod, restore the backup and sort it manually. That way you make sure that Loot doesn't have any other ideas about other mods.

And if you're switching: do not use the sort order by MO (for the left side - install oder). See which mods it wants to switch and do it manually in a reasonable way, MO will do it terribly wrong sometimes.

Besides stuff already mentioned, you shouldn't change load order mid game either, that might (doesn't mean it has to, but...) actually be worse than a less-than-perfect order. You can add a new mod and put it somewhere it fits, but don't switch other mods. MO has the option tp backup and restore load order, if you install something and you don't know where to put it, make a backup, install the mod, run loot, note the position of the new mod, restore the backup and sort it manually. That way you make sure that Loot doesn't have any other ideas about other mods.

And if you're switching: do not use the sort order by MO (for the left side - install oder). See which mods it wants to switch and do it manually in a reasonable way, MO will do it terribly wrong sometimes.

Thanks for the advice!    "you shouldn't change load order mid game"  Yeah, I haven't been and also heard that LOOT within MO is terribly outdated, so I doubt I'd ever use that.

Not completely sure yet, but removing the two, smelly, insignificant mods seems to have helped immensely. The game appears to be running much more solid (like it used to), but time will tell.

Now I can load in more junk!  WhooHoo!

Thanks for the advice!    "you shouldn't change load order mid game"  Yeah, I haven't been and also heard that LOOT within MO is terribly outdated, so I doubt I'd ever use that.

Not completely sure yet, but removing the two, smelly, insignificant mods seems to have helped immensely. The game appears to be running much more solid (like it used to), but time will tell.

Now I can load in more junk!  WhooHoo!

MO has two functions to sort stuff: the right side is your load order, which is an outdated version of Loot. The other one is for the right side. In MO you can change your install order by drag and drop as well, and it has a function to make suggestions if it finds a conflict there. I'm not entirely sure if it's even right about that conflicts, but it suggestions are often terrible. ;)

A good advice in general is to have a similar order on both sides, i do that at least when MO says there is a conflict.

Archived