CK Texture Woes

Allannaa

When Skyrim first came out years ago, the first thing I did was start the game, get a good look at things, and go "Oh HECK no", and start re-texturing things.  As with Oblivion, I figured out how  to make "TextureSets" to apply to existing stuff, rather than making new NIFs (so as to not make huuuuge files).  It worked great for ages, until the HD finally died this January and I had to start over with a lot of stuff.  And I do mean died, as in so dead I can't lift old files from it, so anything I didn't have on a website somewhere or on a USB drive... yeah... I'm surprised you guys couldn't hear me screaming all over the world.

Maybe I'm just getting old and forgetful or something, but...  Stuff keeps getting weird, or I've forgotten how to do stuff.

I created a texture, (.DDS, _n.DDS, Env.DDS) just as I always do.  In the CK I went to Misc > TextureSets and right-clicked New.  In the appropriate lines (The first, second, and third fields) I selected the textures.  Saved the "AllaGauntsTex" texture set.  Saved the plugin, and closed the CK, because I noticed years back, it likes that better when I make something new in it.

So far, everything looks normal, doesn't it?  Here comes the odd part.

I right-clicked "Edit" on the ArmorAddOn for the gauntlets I wanted to re-texture, Renamed it as AllaGauntsAA, clicked the BipedModel and selected the new texture set in the Edit portion there... Clicked the FirstPerson and selected the new texture, for BOTH MALE AND FEMALE (this part's important), and clicked OK.

Then I right-clicked "Edit" on the gaunts themselves, Renamed it AllaGaunts, Clicked the World Model and selected the new texture in the "Edit" portion there, Deleted the OLD ArmorAddOn and put in the one I'd just made,  and clicked OK.

Saved the plugin, exited CK, etc....

Now, in game, I console added "AllaGaunts" and guess what?  The MALE version is fine.  Has the new texture.  Looks all special.

The female version?  No.  It has the original texture.  So I closed out, went back into the CK, looked at the AA I'd made -- and the lines in the edit screen where you add the texture set are blank for the female version.  As in, for some reason, the CK didn't "hold" the texture set for new AA I made.

Before anyone reminds me that sometimes stuff is baked into saves -- there are as yet no saves.  I consoled in to the Guardian Stones (my usual test stuff place), console add the new thing, and then draw a bow, so I can see the FirstPerson version of the gauntlets.  Once I check them, I console QQQ to get back to Desktop.  I haven't played yet, waited, fast-traveled, slept, or done anything else that creates a save.  Heck, I haven't even activated any mods EXCEPT the one with the new gauntlets.  I also went into MyDocuments > MyGames > Skyrim to make SURE there are no auto-save of any kind.

So what have I forgotten to do, or done wrong?  This is making me bonkers, since re-texturing things is... a thing with me.

Thanks in advance, from the bottom of my apparently senile heart!

When Skyrim first came out years ago, the first thing I did was start the game, get a good look at things, and go "Oh HECK no", and start re-texturing things.  As with Oblivion, I figured out how  to make "TextureSets" to apply to existing stuff, rather than making new NIFs (so as to not make huuuuge files).  It worked great for ages, until the HD finally died this January and I had to start over with a lot of stuff.  And I do mean died, as in so dead I can't lift old files from it, so anything I didn't have on a website somewhere or on a USB drive... yeah... I'm surprised you guys couldn't hear me screaming all over the world.

Maybe I'm just getting old and forgetful or something, but...  Stuff keeps getting weird, or I've forgotten how to do stuff.

I created a texture, (.DDS, _n.DDS, Env.DDS) just as I always do.  In the CK I went to Misc > TextureSets and right-clicked New.  In the appropriate lines (The first, second, and third fields) I selected the textures.  Saved the "AllaGauntsTex" texture set.  Saved the plugin, and closed the CK, because I noticed years back, it likes that better when I make something new in it.

So far, everything looks normal, doesn't it?  Here comes the odd part.

I right-clicked "Edit" on the ArmorAddOn for the gauntlets I wanted to re-texture, Renamed it as AllaGauntsAA, clicked the BipedModel and selected the new texture set in the Edit portion there... Clicked the FirstPerson and selected the new texture, for BOTH MALE AND FEMALE (this part's important), and clicked OK.

Then I right-clicked "Edit" on the gaunts themselves, Renamed it AllaGaunts, Clicked the World Model and selected the new texture in the "Edit" portion there, Deleted the OLD ArmorAddOn and put in the one I'd just made,  and clicked OK.

Saved the plugin, exited CK, etc....

Now, in game, I console added "AllaGaunts" and guess what?  The MALE version is fine.  Has the new texture.  Looks all special.

The female version?  No.  It has the original texture.  So I closed out, went back into the CK, looked at the AA I'd made -- and the lines in the edit screen where you add the texture set are blank for the female version.  As in, for some reason, the CK didn't "hold" the texture set for new AA I made.

Before anyone reminds me that sometimes stuff is baked into saves -- there are as yet no saves.  I consoled in to the Guardian Stones (my usual test stuff place), console add the new thing, and then draw a bow, so I can see the FirstPerson version of the gauntlets.  Once I check them, I console QQQ to get back to Desktop.  I haven't played yet, waited, fast-traveled, slept, or done anything else that creates a save.  Heck, I haven't even activated any mods EXCEPT the one with the new gauntlets.  I also went into MyDocuments > MyGames > Skyrim to make SURE there are no auto-save of any kind.

So what have I forgotten to do, or done wrong?  This is making me bonkers, since re-texturing things is... a thing with me.

Thanks in advance, from the bottom of my apparently senile heart!

Whenever this happened after a while of pulling my hair out I would check my load order in TES5Edit.  It was nearly always another mod that edited the same FormID.  I would recommend you start there.

Whenever this happened after a while of pulling my hair out I would check my load order in TES5Edit.  It was nearly always another mod that edited the same FormID.  I would recommend you start there.

Maybe I didn't make it clear -- there are NO OTHER MODS installed.  They're currently all downloaded to my desktop, not even unzipped, and nowhere near the Skyrim directory.

Besides which, load order is pretty simple for me -- Skyrim, Update, Textures, HF, DG, DB, XPMSE, FNIS, SL, and SoS, plus my armour mod.

Of those, SL  isn't even done downloading yet, and the others aren't installed yet.  None of those mods touches gauntlet armour.

This is not a game issue, and certainly not a load order issue.  It's a CK issue, because if I make a NIF for the AddOn, it works perfectly.  I only have the issue if I re-texture an existing ArmorAddOn (Vanilla or my own).

You're not going crazy, there is a definite bug in the CK that will not save texture changes to 1stperson models. If I'm going this route to retex armor I create new 1stperson nifs and change the texture path there.

I was afraid of that.  I was trying to avoid having a huge ESP/BSA file, by just doing texture swaps.  I guess I'm not going to get away with that, am I?

I wonder if you can bypass this through TES5Edit, and adding the Alternate Texture path there. Might try testing that?

Pretty much the only way to get around this as far as I know, just build with ck then fix what ck breaks with tesedit.

I don't use TESEdit, for a variety of reasons, the primary one of which is that it's not only unnecessary, it doesn't actually do anything the CK can't already do -- and it confuses the daylights out of me, because the instructions make no sense to me (not a fault of TESEdit, just my weirdness).  I don't like "Third Party Stuff" for the most part (other than mods).  I stick to PhotoShop and NifSkope, and the CK itself.  I'd never run across the texture issue before -- quite possibly because I had the oldest version of the CK and never had to / bothered to update it.  Shiny new versions and all that now; I'll just have to get used to whatever quirks it currently has.

I did end up just making the NIFs, and that, of course, worked fine.  Since it's not a mod for release, but just a cosmetic retexture for my own edification, the total file size isn't that big a deal.

I'm just a spoiled old lady who doesn't like change, that's all!

Archived