[mod] Dark World - Beyond Heresy

Aliris

Dark World - Beyond Heresy

What this mod does:

This mod is intended to serve as a religious addition to Dark World, adding in new religious options first for Succubus/Incubus characters, and possibly later for others (at least those that aren't covered by another mod, such as NoxBestia's). It is meant to serve as a more quasi-historical potential alternative to mods such as Christianity, which alters all of Catholicism right away, and includes a long struggle to replace the entrenched male-dominated Roman Catholic church.
The current version is just an initial test mod, but one that I wanted to go ahead and share in case anyone wanted to play with it (and will add newer versions as I put in new things and refine old ones).

-Adds Lilith-centric alternate versions of existing religions that can be discovered by Incubus/Succubus rulers in the Dark World mod:

Catholic Heresy - Lilithanist

• Feminist Religion
  • Allows selection of any gender succession type, including Enatic-Cognatic and Full Enatic
  • Can create a Lilithian Papacy if Rome is controlled
  • Allows crusades

Islamic Heresy - Khadimist

• Feminist Religion
  • Uses Iqta (Turkish/Open) succession, with Enatic-Cognatic (Female Preference) as the default gender law
  • May create Khadimist Caliphate
  • Allows Jihad
  • Uses Decadence mechanic, but with altered values (sins are generally good, virtues generally bad)
  • Khadimist Decadence revolts feature female leaders

Orthodox Christian Heresy - Reversionist

• Feminist Religion
  • Allows selection of any gender succession type, including Enatic-Cognatic and Full Enatic
  • May create the Reversionist Hierarchy (Lilith Patriarchy)
  • Reversionist Hierarchy uses Autocephaly, has Female preference succession
  • Allows crusades

Pagan Reformation Nature Option - Lilithist

• Requires choosing Egalitarian or Matriarchal Doctrine (or Bon special Doctrine)
  • Feminist Religion
  • Allows consorts for both male and female rulers (even for pagans that normally don't, such as Hellenic)
  • Allows looting/raiding
  • No opinion penalty for raised levies
  • Can convert other religions
  • Allows raiding
  • Unlocks a decision to declare Lilith the high goddess of your faith

How to access these religions:
-Catholic and Orthodox versions can no longer appear as normal for a heresy at random. Instead, the religion must be "unlocked" via an event decision taken by a character in the game. If any of these heresies randomly occur before being unlocked, they will be randomly converted into one of the base heresies of the parent religion along with any characters in the province.

To unlock the event that leads to discovering the Lilithanist religion, a character must be all of the following:

-A succubus or incubus
-Either have Character Focus Theology, or have Prestige of 1000, orPiety 1000
-Of the appropriate core religion (Catholic or heresy, Orthodox or heresy, Sunni, etc)
If these are met, an event will fire with an average time to happen of 1 year, offering the chance to seek ancient legends about Lilith. If pursued, this will begin an event chain that leads to the option of creating and converting to the appropriate Lilithan heresy for their religious group.

Pagans may simply choose the religion nature of Lilithist when reforming normally. It requires having the Child of Lilith campaign start in Dark World Fantasy, but is otherwise not restricted. The AI is unlikely to choose this option, but is allowed to do so.

Other Additions:
Any child that gets the "Demon Child" event chain should now also get the incubus/succubus trait.

Angelic Powers:

• Angels now receive supernatural abilities based on their piety score.
  • These include the ability to heal themselves or others, to smite wicked or sinful people (including demons), to atone for their own sins, and request blessings from the heavens.
  • Many of these powers do not work, or are less effective, the more sinful/wicked traits the Angel has.

What you need to play this Mod:

This mod requires the Dark World Fantasy core module.

Dark World Extras is also recommended, but should not be required.

It also requires the latest version of CK2, along with the Holy Fury expansion (and probably others) to take advantage of all features.

Compatibility: This mod should be compatible with any other Dark World sub-mods, including Dark World Extras, DW Mercenary Commander mod, and worked in the past with Dollarsmy's mod (though I haven't tested that recently). It also works fine with House Irae, as well as any mods that add more reformation choices for Pagans. I suggest playing without any other mods that alter the core religions, but that is merely for the sake of historical appropriateness, and it should work fine with any that do.

Future additions planned:
-Prevent the random spawning of Lilithanist/Reversionist heresy prior to the event chain creating it by setting a global flag and overriding certain default events/functions.

-Expand the event chain (Presently it costs nothing, and simply leads to an event 90 days later) to include a more difficult/more interesting hunt for the knowledge, possibly similar to the pursuit of the Necronomicon event chain.
-Add similar variant heresy versions for Judaism, Dharmic, and possibly Pagan versions.
-Add a religion head mechanic for Catholic, as well as associated events for the capture and conversion of holy sites.
-Add quasi-historical flavor events related to the rise of a feminist antithesis in Catholic (and other) lands.
-Add fantasy/magical themed events, such as the occasional influence of Lilith or other powerful beings.
-Add Vampire, Werewolf-centric religions (likely Pagan), possibly others.
-Adapt more mechanics such as the hajj, Ramadan, and Furusiyya tournaments for Lilislam.

DW is going to be looking at that, so I'm not going to get ahead of myself, as this mod may become obsoleted by things he can do better using the new DLC.

This is more for "in the meantime" that I was making for practice and my own personal use, and I decided to share it for those that wanted it.

Essentially while the religions themselves will vary a bit, they all are feminist, allow the use of female priests, and unlock all gender laws, including full enatic (female-only succession), although the AI won't take anything beyond enatic-cognatic (female preference) due to potential issues with the AI dynasty management. They also allow incestuous unions.

Otherwise, they are generally similar to their 'parent' religions, and each has been designed to at least roughly be a believable heresy from that belief system - that is, it shares many core concepts and beliefs, it just perverts and twists them, with the idea that Lilith (and what she stands for) is actually righteous, rather than evil.

Some of them will also have altered versions of special mechanics.

In the case of Lilislam, the Decadence function is altered, such that you gain decadence by having virtues (especially celibacy/chastity), and reduce it by having sins (especially hedonism/lustful). Consider that to the Lilislamic viewpoint, "decadence" means you're a tired boring sort who never fucks or parties. And it can also result in being attacked by tribes just the same (usually led by a woman though). It also incorporates a decision to try to get your 'decadent' relatives to "loosen up" (instead of straighten up).

So with a bit of testing, I've fixed a few bugs in the Lilislamic religion. Some things I found while testing a few fix options:

-To implement a fully new religion branch, I'll have to override the landed_titles file, which will cause conflicts with any other mod that does so.

-Also with a custom branch, the government type on conversion defaults to Gavelkind rather than Open succession, despite a specific version of the latter enabled for that.

-More importantly, Decadence is ignored while you're not in Open Succession.

To address these, I tested shifting Lilislamic back into the "Muslim" Group:

-This fixes the previous issues; however, it introduces a new one, in that being in the Muslim group, it disallows ANY changes to succession laws, even gender changes that are specifically marked as allowed (i.e. they don't even show up).

I'm not sure which version to go with here, so I think I may solicit ideas (maybe I missed something)/suggestions towards this, while I work on other parts.

Also, posted up 0.3. This is the version with Orthodox Lilithanism (aka Reversionist) added.

Reversionist functions largely like most other Orthodox variants, and uses Autocephaly, has an Ecumenical Patriarch (called the Grand High Priest or Priestess), and allows female priests, incest, crusades, allows priests to marry, etc.

I've just been wondering a bit about the pagan religion(s). Would you make just one heresy for the religion group, or would you make individual ones for each religion? How does a pagan reformation fit into this? Would a pagan heresy require to be reformed first?

You may want to remove the matrilineal_marriages = yes from the islamic religion. matrilineal is enabled by default for religions and the modifier only needs to be added if you want to DISABLE it. With it in there right now it it actually disabling matrilineal marriages. 

I've just been wondering a bit about the pagan religion(s). Would you make just one heresy for the religion group, or would you make individual ones for each religion? How does a pagan reformation fit into this? Would a pagan heresy require to be reformed first?

I haven't quite figured out/decided how it should work. One of my concerns is that you should be given a religion that makes in-character/world sense, and also one that has holy sites located within a reasonable distance of the region you're in. With heresies of the Abrahamic religions, that's pretty easy, since they inherit the parent sites, and you're no better or worse off for it.

Pagans however are scattered all over the map, and also have wildly different flavors. Two options I'm currently mulling over are making Lilith-centric versions for certain ones, but not all of them, or making a couple of unrelated Lilith-type pagan religions that are roughly sorted by region, and the options you get to pick them depend on which region(s) you're in. I'm certainly open to other suggestions, though.

You may want to remove the matrilineal_marriages = yes from the islamic religion. matrilineal is enabled by default for religions and the modifier only needs to be added if you want to DISABLE it. With it in there right now it it actually disabling matrilineal marriages. 

Thanks for pointing that out. I still need to figure out how to fix the gender succession issues with Islamic. If that's hardcoded, I'll have to go back to my original plan, and find some way to force the religion into Turkish succession (by default at least).

Edit: I think what I might try doing is to simply give the Lilislamic creator a Caliphate title, that comes with the correct succession types. We'll see if that fixes things.

Uploaded version 0.3a, which should fix a number of things that weren't quite working right, as well as add the Khadimist Caliphate title as a creation option, similar to creating the other Islamic Caliph titles.  Also, Khadimist Islam should now give you Enatic-Cognatic succession by default. I will probably add a few decisions to alter that later, since Islam locks out the normal succession law change options.

Also made a few fixes to the option to create a Reversionist Patriarchate, which is no longer immediately available by default (you have to create it), and will now use Enatic Cognatic Succession, as well as start with a female holder.

Uploaded version 0.3a, which should fix a number of things that weren't quite working right, as well as add the Khadimist Caliphate title as a creation option, similar to creating the other Islamic Caliph titles.  Also, Khadimist Islam should now give you Enatic-Cognatic succession by default. I will probably add a few decisions to alter that later, since Islam locks out the normal succession law change options.

Also made a few fixes to the option to create a Reversionist Patriarchate, which is no longer immediately available by default (you have to create it), and will now use Enatic Cognatic Succession, as well as start with a female holder.

The Khadimist Caliphate title seems uncreatable. I have everything required to make it and it will not let me create it. I attempted to cheat to give it to my self (give_title d_lilislam characterid) and it says it give it to me but I dont actually get the title.

Something to think about; Full-powered Succubi/Incubi have a direct line to Lilith.  Why would you be scouring the world when you could go to her?  Unless she herself is sending you on this chase.  

The thought occurs; "if you do this, you'll have proved that the world is ready for Lilith to take the stage as a full religion again."  Since she's always on during the initial conversion events of staying hidden because of what it's going to bring down on your heads.

The Khadimist Caliphate title seems uncreatable. I have everything required to make it and it will not let me create it. I attempted to cheat to give it to my self (give_title d_lilislam characterid) and it says it give it to me but I dont actually get the title.

It worked for me when I tested it before - are you playing as a succubus/incubus? Those are required to create it (as Sayyid/Mirza would be for the Sunni Caliph title).

Edit: I went to try it again, and it doesn't seem to be working now. I'll take a look at it again, though the logic seems to be solid (i.e. it's showing up with everything green, so I don't know why it stays gray, at least offhand).

Something to think about; Full-powered Succubi/Incubi have a direct line to Lilith.  Why would you be scouring the world when you could go to her?  Unless she herself is sending you on this chase.  

The thought occurs; "if you do this, you'll have proved that the world is ready for Lilith to take the stage as a full religion again."  Since she's always on during the initial conversion events of staying hidden because of what it's going to bring down on your heads.

What I was considering was less that Lilith comes and shows you this herself (though that was how it worked in the old Dark World), so much as you discover the historical documents to show to others about all this stuff, which gives you the ability to convince people to make this their religion. 

I also tend to feel that things like this are more fun or interesting if there's an involved story to it, rather than it just being handed to you. (Though you can always just fire the event via console if you want to skip ahead)

<--snip-->

-To implement a fully new religion branch, I'll have to override the landed_titles file, which will cause conflicts with any other mod that does so.

<--snip-->

I just noticed this, and I was curious what you meant as I haven't ran into that issue with my modded religions.

Holy sites are defined in landed_titles. If you're adding an existing branch, such as a new Catholic heresy, you don't need to change anything as it will use the default Catholic holy sites. You can define custom ones if you want, but it's not necessary to do so.

But if you create an entirely new religion, you have to add the holy site declaration into the root definition of each province (crusade target weights are added here too). You can't simply add to the existing file, or at least I've never figured out a way to do it without overriding the entire core landed_titles.txt. CK2 doesn't seem to like multiple definitions for the same title.

For instance, this is what Jerusalem looks like:

c_jerusalem = {

color={ 250 250 230 }
color2={ 255 255 255 }

christian = 250 # Crusade target weight
muslim = 250 # Crusade target weight

holy_site = catholic
holy_site = orthodox
holy_site = sunni
holy_site = shiite
holy_site = miaphysite
holy_site = monophysite
holy_site = nestorian
holy_site = pagan
holy_site = yazidi
holy_site = jewish
holy_site = samaritan
holy_site = karaite
holy_site = ibadi

b_mirabel = { # Base name changed to "Majdal Yaba"
german = "Mirabel"
lombard = "Mirabel"
old_frankish = "Mirabel"
suebi = "Mirabel"
english = "Mirabel"
saxon = "Mirabel"
old_saxon = "Mirabel"
frisian = "Mirabel"
dutch = "Mirabel"
frankish = "Mirabel"
norman = "Mirabel"
italian = "Mirabel"
occitan = "Mirabel"
basque = "Mirabel"
castillan = "Mirabel"
catalan = "Mirabel"
portuguese = "Mirabel"
visigothic = "Mirabel"
irish = "Mirabel"
scottish = "Mirabel"
pictish = "Mirabel"
welsh = "Mirabel"
breton = "Mirabel"
greek = "Antipatris"
armenian = "Antipatris"
georgian = "Antipatris"
}

b_jerusalem = {
pentarchy = yes
}
b_nablus = {
}
b_rammala = {
}
b_beitnuba = {
}
b_montgisard = {
b_jericho = {
}
b_saintsamuel = {
}
}

Holy sites are defined in landed_titles. If you're adding an existing branch, such as a new Catholic heresy, you don't need to change anything as it will use the default Catholic holy sites. You can define custom ones if you want, but it's not necessary to do so.

But if you create an entirely new religion, you have to add the holy site declaration into the root definition of each province (crusade target weights are added here too). You can't simply add to the existing file, or at least I've never figured out a way to do it without overriding the entire core landed_titles.txt. CK2 doesn't seem to like multiple definitions for the same title.

For instance, this is what Jerusalem looks like:

c_jerusalem = {

color={ 250 250 230 }

color2={ 255 255 255 }

christian = 250 # Crusade target weight

muslim = 250 # Crusade target weight

holy_site = catholic

holy_site = orthodox

holy_site = sunni

holy_site = shiite

holy_site = miaphysite

holy_site = monophysite

holy_site = nestorian

holy_site = pagan

holy_site = yazidi

holy_site = jewish

holy_site = samaritan

holy_site = karaite

holy_site = ibadi

b_mirabel = { # Base name changed to "Majdal Yaba"

german = "Mirabel"

lombard = "Mirabel"

old_frankish = "Mirabel"

suebi = "Mirabel"

english = "Mirabel"

saxon = "Mirabel"

old_saxon = "Mirabel"

frisian = "Mirabel"

dutch = "Mirabel"

frankish = "Mirabel"

norman = "Mirabel"

italian = "Mirabel"

occitan = "Mirabel"

basque = "Mirabel"

castillan = "Mirabel"

catalan = "Mirabel"

portuguese = "Mirabel"

visigothic = "Mirabel"

irish = "Mirabel"

scottish = "Mirabel"

pictish = "Mirabel"

welsh = "Mirabel"

breton = "Mirabel"

greek = "Antipatris"

armenian = "Antipatris"

georgian = "Antipatris"

}

b_jerusalem = {

pentarchy = yes

}

b_nablus = {

}

b_rammala = {

}

b_beitnuba = {

}

b_montgisard = {

}

b_jericho = {

}

b_saintsamuel = {

}

}

You can add a separate file in the landed titles folder and add c_jerusalem =- { holy_site = lilithian }

The system will merge this woth the main file just fine.

This kind of merging only works for landed tirles afaik though.

Hmm, it never seemed to work the last time I tried it. I'll give it a go when I get back to working on the religions. Just to update, my current thinking is to hook in to some of the Lilithian secret society stuff that others are doing, and enable an option to found the religion if you're the head of the society and have a certain amount of influence.

Hmm, it never seemed to work the last time I tried it. I'll give it a go when I get back to working on the religions. Just to update, my current thinking is to hook in to some of the Lilithian secret society stuff that others are doing, and enable an option to found the religion if you're the head of the society and have a certain amount of influence.

If you have downloaded a copy of Darkest Perversions, look at ../common/landed_titles/NoxLandedTitles.txt and you can see how I modded the yiffic church in and added Rome and Paris (and others) as their holy sites.  The yiffic church has some stuff in other files also, but that is because they have similar powers as the fraticelli heresy and can have their own female pope.

Archived