CTD on save, game loads fine.

Hello! This is one of my first posts, so hopefully I get everything formatted correctly. Let's get right into it, then.

So, in my game, I can play normally. However, whenever I try to save the game, Skyrim will instantly crash to the desktop. I've rebooted, removed any mods that would theoretically affect saving, and I even regenerated the FNIS list for good measure. I've tried loading other saves, but they still crash when I try to save. Below are links to the .DMP log of my most recent crash, my most recent papyrus log, and my load order.

Dump Log

Papyrus Log

Load Order

Sorry for the Pastebin, but I can't figure out how to put in the spoiler box :/

Thanks for your help!

I don't know that much about reading logs, but i'm pretty sure you didn't remove all mods that theoretically affect saving. Every mod with a script will do that. And it still will do that if you simply uninstall the mod, any script running at that time is still in your save, at least if you can make one, but it most likely can't fullfill it's purpose because the mod is missing. There are methods to make a clean save, and save game cleaners, but none of that is a guarantee.

If you want to be really sure a mod is removed properly, start a new game. And once you've got that working and found the problem, you can try to rescue an old save.

Hello! This is one of my first posts, so hopefully I get everything formatted correctly. Let's get right into it, then.

So, in my game, I can play normally. However, whenever I try to save the game, Skyrim will instantly crash to the desktop. I've rebooted, removed any mods that would theoretically affect saving, and I even regenerated the FNIS list for good measure. I've tried loading other saves, but they still crash when I try to save. Below are links to the .DMP log of my most recent crash, my most recent papyrus log, and my load order.

Dump Log

Papyrus Log

Load Order

Sorry for the Pastebin, but I can't figure out how to put in the spoiler box :/

Thanks for your help!

Some mods are fine and can be disabled in your manager and then cleaned. Some authors give you a handy uninstall button to stop active scripts so you can clean. Some authors don't bother so you need to hunt down the scripts yourself and kill them (still not a sure fire solution).

Also if you are using NMM there could be remnants of the mod in your skyrim folder lurking.

Golden rule of modding Skyrim. NEVER add or remove mods from a save you care about. Scripts bake onto a save and when you start taking things out you void the warranty. By removing mods you have further compounded the problem (hence why none of your saves can be saved now).

For testing purposes hack and slash your load order but if you plan on sticking with a save don't mess with it.

Archived