New to Oblivion Mods...where to begin?

Yeah, the title says it all. I've played Oblivion before, currently I'm playing Skyrim but I want to go back to Oblivion and get some mods, but I don't know where to start.

I suppose the best place would be body mods. I know I want a female body mod that makes women prettier, but which one has the most/best armor mods for it? I'd hate to get a body mod only to discover no one makes armor for it. What do you guys recommend? Any help would be most appreciated.

Most used female body is HGEC, with many variants from tiny to giant boobs and butts, also in BBB version. Another very used mesh is TGND, wich is intended to be more realistic; but most armors are for HGEC. The male body used by excelence is "Roberts". Then of course are many other aesthetic mods for vanilla and custom races, hairs and stuff, but I'm sure you can find them easely in nexus.

You should also look for OBSE (script extender) and OBGE (graphic extender), because they can make really amazing things and are required for a ton of other mods. If you are not familiar with Wrye Bash and/or OBMM, and BOSS, then you must look for them too, as Oblivion mods wont support Nexus Mod Manager, and will make your life easier. I personaly recommend Wrye Bash.

The rest... well you may browse nexus to find most of mods, also here you'll find a lot of very good ones. I'll recommend the ones that come to my mind now:

Lovers with PK and all of its extensions. Found here in LL

Open Cities

See you Sleep

Immersive Interiors

All Natural

Adonnays Elven Weaponry

Kvatch Rebuilt

Harvest Flora

CM Partners

RAEVWD

R18Pn's equipment, which is many and very good.

Well, that's what I can remember right now, but of course there are many awsome mods for this very good game. Regards and happy modding!

Most used female body is HGEC' date=' with many variants from tiny to giant boobs and butts, also in BBB version. Another very used mesh is TGND, wich is intended to be more realistic; but most armors are for HGEC. The male body used by excelence is "Roberts". Then of course are many other aesthetic mods for vanilla and custom races, hairs and stuff, but I'm sure you can find them easely in nexus. [/quote']

Thank you for that, I will probably go with HGEC then. I looked it up and it's pretty hot. Plus if that's what most modders go with, I'd be a fool not to take it.

You should also look for OBSE (script extender) and OBGE (graphic extender)' date=' because they can make really amazing things and are required for a ton of other mods. If you are not familiar with Wrye Bash and/or OBMM, and BOSS, then you must look for them too, as Oblivion mods wont support Nexus Mod Manager, and will make your life easier. I personaly recommend Wrye Bash.

[/quote']

And you lost me. I understood none of that. I'm guessing OBSE and OBGE are plugins that allow other mods to do their thing? And I have no idea what Wrye Bash or OBMM or BOSS do. Are they similar to NMM? A bit more help, please, I'd really appreciate it.

OBSE (Oblivion Script Extender) is, as you guessed, a resource required by other mods so they can "do their thing".

OBGE (Oblivion Graphics Extender) is a plugin for OBSE that, used with other mods, can make your oblivion look awsome.

BOSS (Better Oblivion Software Sorting) is a tool that will sort your .esp files to load in the proper order. This one you MUST have, as the loading order is very important to make work your mods, specially when you have many.

OBMM (Oblivion Mod Manager) is a tool to manage your mods. It'll help you install them, sort, etc. It is sort of a predecesor to NMM.

Wrye Bash is the most advanced tool to manage, install and organize your mods. Of course you'll have to read and experiment a little with this one, but once you are used to it, you won't like OBMM or NMM again... at least I didnt.

I've played Oblivion before' date=' currently I'm playing Skyrim but I want to go back to Oblivion and get some mods, but I don't know where to start.

[/quote']

Uh...I just wanted to click the reply but I clicked the Thanks by mistake. =___=|||...

First, back up your the Oblivion folder. You will probably reinstall it several times.

You can choose the mods by checking Most endorsed files of all-time

These are what I installed at the first time, in sequence:

Oblivion_v1.2.0416English.exe

OblivionModManager

OBSE - Oblivion Script Extender

BOSS - Better Oblivion Sorting Software

Unofficial Oblivion Patch v3_2_0

Unofficial Oblivion Patch v3_4_1

Female EyeCandy Body Replacer NUDE

HGEC_Nude_Version-15802.7z

Corean mod

Chocolate Elves (Acutally, this is what make me want to play TES4)

Landscape LOD Replacement

Landscape LOD Replacement (Border Regions)

And I recommend you my favorite race "Evy race".

aac1sMXw.jpg

aarCaLOK.jpg

It's takes two weeks to figure out everything for new players to assume every hardcore mod features works. But to keep it simple, let just share our favorite load order list.

Oblivion.esm

DibellasWatch.esm

Cobl Main.esm

Knights.esp

DLCShiveringIsles.esp

DLCMehrunesRazor.esp

DLCSpellTomes.esp

DLCFrostcrag.esp

RealisticFlora.esp

RealisticFlora - DLCFrostcrag.esp

Unofficial Oblivion Patch.esp

Cobl Si.esp

Cobl Glue.esp

Apachii_Wigs_MaleFemale.esp

Basic Personal Hygiene.esp

LoadingScreens.esp

Beautiful People 2ch-Ed Chocolate Elves.esp

Trade and Commerce.esp

Lop-ears Elf_mini.esp

x117race.esp

ChaseCameraMod.esp

FarmAnimalsofCyrodiil.esp

Basic Primary Needs.esp

Woodcutters_Cabin_COBL.esp

Alluring Potion Bottles v3.esp

Alluring Wine Bottles.esp

MaleBodyReplacerV4.esp

Slof's Boners! v5.esp

MadCompanionshipSpells.esp

SetBody.esp

the punished girlbox.esp

Tona's_ModsStore.esp

DibellasWatchAdditions.esp

Dibella Watch SB.esp

DWIngameMap.esp

ImpeREAL City Unique Districts - All the Districts - Merged.esp

SD2011.esp

Moonshadow Elves - NoSc.esp

Unholy Darkness.esp

Fish! - v1.1.esp

TERA ONLINE.esp

MONSTERGIRL-DEMON HIVE.esp

MONSTERGIRL-NECROMANCER MOON.esp

MONSTERGIRL-ANGELICALLIANCE.esp

CHILDREN ANNUAD.esp

Skyrimized Water v1 HD eng.esp

xeoex.esp

Specialanims.esp

..oh i do use lovers. But my lovers Load order is pretty screwed up. I removed them from the list above, managing lovers plugins is a pure pain so it's up to everyone preferences i suppose.

I've been playing oblivion like 3 years now, I learned to keep the game sexy, simple and challenging with less mods running at a time to avoid conflicts between ESP.

It's also important to learn modding generally as much as you play and uses mods for personal tweak and Fix conflict between esp. This include merging two or few mods together as well as ESP database add and delete.

With third party tools of course.

- OBLIVION CS Tool.

- TESIVEDIT.

- NIFFSCOPE.

- TESGECKO

OBSE (Oblivion Script Extender) is' date=' as you guessed, a resource required by other mods so they can "do their thing".

OBGE (Oblivion Graphics Extender) is a plugin for OBSE that, used with other mods, can make your oblivion look awsome.

BOSS (Better Oblivion Software Sorting) is a tool that will sort your .esp files to load in the proper order. This one you MUST have, as the loading order is very important to make work your mods, specially when you have many.

OBMM (Oblivion Mod Manager) is a tool to manage your mods. It'll help you install them, sort, etc. It is sort of a predecesor to NMM.

Wrye Bash is the most advanced tool to manage, install and organize your mods. Of course you'll have to read and experiment a little with this one, but once you are used to it, you won't like OBMM or NMM again... at least I didnt.

Okay, so I downloaded and installed those programs you recommended. I had some trouble with Wrye so I didn't bother with it. I then downloaded and installed HGEC and the Corean and Chocolate Elf mods. Then I started the game and it wouldn't start. My screen froze on the loader, and I couldn't end program. I restarted my computer and tried again, and the same thing happened. I'm currently uninstalling and reinstalling Oblivion, because at this point I have no idea what I did wrong, and backtracking would take hours.

So this time I'm going to take it one step at a time. First step is to reinstall the game, which it's doing now. When that's done...what is the very first mod I should install, and how do I make sure I don't fuck it up?

I'm very sorry for this. I am apparently really dumb when it comes to simple computer stuff.

Edit: Okay, good(ish) news, it's apparently not the mods that made my game crash, since it does it with no mods installed whatsoever. So...yeah, I have no idea what to do now. My computer runs Skyrim with no problems, it should run Oblivion like a boss.

Question, why are you all recomending HGEC? Why not just go with a good SetBody? I'm honestly asking, because I figure you don't recommend SetBody for a reason, but I can't imagine what that reason would be.

SetBody, and it's many iterations, is a mod that allows you to change your body as well as that of humanoid NPCs that you can touch to one of the many, many bodies that come with it; this effect is only noticeable when they're nude, however; if you use, say, HGEC D-Cup on yourself, but you're wearing one of Thorazine's DMRA armours, your character will look like she has a DMRA body as long as she's wearing it.

Wrye Bash is a tad intimidating at first, but VERY worth learning. Some of the best mods absolutely require the use of a "bashed patch."

My advice is this - don't install mods directly. It will just lead to headache and heartache in the end.

If Wrye is too intimidating for now, I'd use Oblivion Mod Manager. Convert anything you download into an OMOD installer. That way you can install and uninstall your mods with relative ease.

So I followed the instructions on that link twice, reinstalled twice, and it still won't run. I don't understand it. There is nothing that should be getting in the way. I uninstalled all the other programs I got, like OMM and BOSS, just in case.

Whatever the problem is, it looks like I won't be using any of those fun mods for a while. *pout*

So I followed the instructions on that link twice' date=' reinstalled twice, and it still won't run. I don't understand it. There is nothing that should be getting in the way. I uninstalled all the other programs I got, like OMM and BOSS, just in case.

[/quote']

Have you deleted all the files of TES4 before you reinstalled it again?

and have you tried to installed it on different hard drive?

Yes' date=' I have completely deleted all files, I was very careful to do so. I don't have a second hard drive to install it on.

[/quote']

One thing that many people miss is the oblivion folder in your my documents\my games folder. This contains your oblivion.ini and save games. Delete it before you reinstall.

As to getting you up, after deleting the above reinstall the game and be sure to install shivering isles and the update along with any other official dlc you have or want and then try to run the game with NO mods present. When you install the game DO NOT install it to the program files directory!!!! Instead choose something like c:\Games\Oblivion This way you will dodge any UAC issues if you have Win7 or Vista.

I will watch this thread so holler if you have issues doing any of the above.

I've already done everything you listed. I read the uninstallation tutorial, and I was careful to delete the Oblivion folder from My Games. I also went through and physically deleted any remaining folders/programs after I uninstalled. As for installing it, I got it from Steam and it's the GOTY edition with all the expansions, so they install with it automatically. I have tried to play it with no mods present, and it still kicks me out after hitting the "play" button. I get as far as the Bethesda logo, and then it just flickers and kicks me back to the desktop, no error message or anything.

I've already done everything you listed. I read the uninstallation tutorial' date=' and I was careful to delete the Oblivion folder from My Games. I also went through and physically deleted any remaining folders/programs after I uninstalled. As for installing it, I got it from Steam and it's the GOTY edition with all the expansions, so they install with it automatically. I have tried to play it with no mods present, and it still kicks me out after hitting the "play" button. I get as far as the Bethesda logo, and then it just flickers and kicks me back to the desktop, no error message or anything.

[/quote']

Ok, if it is steam then right click on the game and go to your options and select verify files. Something in it is somehow broken or corrupted. Once that finishes then go to the directory that it was installed to and find OblivionLauncher.exe and run it. This should auto detect your video card and optimal settings and run the game from the launcher. At that point you can go and get OBSE and OBMM and begin to install mods once you have confirmed being able to start with just the vanilla game.

Understand that because you installed Steam to the program files directory you will be fighting UAC from here on out. I recommend installing steam to c:\Steam or c:\Games\Steam as this dodges the whole UAC and program files nonsense with win7 and vista.

You can move steam without having to re-download all your games if you follow the steps in this link: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7418-YUBN-8129

Okay, this looks like a bit of an involved process, so I'm going to have to wait until tomorrow night to do it or I'll be up all night trying to figure this out.

Thank you very much for your help, I'll let you know how it goes.

No matter how many times I uninstall, delete everything, recheck everything and reinstall, the game will not run on this computer. UGH.

I give up. I'll just have to wait until I get a new computer. Or something. Sonofabitch.

• 3 weeks later...

Just in case you haven't gotten the game to work, I have an idea. Earlier someone asked if you have an ATI graphics card, but did not say what to do if you did. If you have one, downgrading the drivers could work. The reason I wanted to reiterate this point is that I recently installed Neverwinter Nights, and that was the one thing that got the game to play. I had go back to the 11.5 driver from the 12.4.

I don't remember exactly what I did, but it was something like this:

1. I tried installing the latest driver (which didn't work)

2. That same program also lets you uninstall the driver, so I did that

3. After restarting the computer, I installed a prior version of the driver (the 11.5 works well for the card I have (one of the 4800 series). I think I had to change the install folder from ATI to ATI Technologies, but that might not be necessary.

Archived