Hiding Skyrim Installation

Masoridil

Long story short, I live with an SO and she has access to my recently built desktop computer. I used to run Skyrim + Sexlab + etc. from my now-decommissioned laptop but am now interested in setting it all up again on the new rig (while I wait for FO4's sale and the mod scene to stabilize). I run some of the kinkier, non-consent mods and I don't think my SO is ready to discover that, so I'm trying to find ways of hiding my Skyrim/mod installation. Of course, the truth can't be deduced from finding Skyrim installed, but I've noticed that evidence can be found simply through Window's Start Bar search (or whatever it is). E.g. Sexlab's debug log can be easily found through said search function, Nexus Mods program can be found in Program Files (x86), Skyrim's Data file can be easily navigated to. By no means is my SO a techie, but I fear she may stumble upon something. The SO knows the computer's password and occasionally uses it for schoolwork. I have considered:

• Using Window's Hide Item feature
  • Creating separate Windows user account for SO
  • Stopping play of modded Skyrim
  • Being honest with the SO

I know from past experience with other programs, making a folder/file hidden may lead to problems when the program can't find it. Going back through and un-hiding everything seems like unnecessary overhead just to play. So that's an unpreferred approach.

As far as creating a separate Windows user, it is simply something I'm too uninformed of. By that, I mean that I don't know the implications storage-wise of creating another account (I'm quite stingy when it comes to space on this SSD/HDD). Frankly, this is my computer and creating a separate user feels as bad as the decision to move in with my SO \s.

Does anyone have any experience in something like this? What was your solution? Also, if you found either of the above solutions to be a good idea, please let me know.

Also, to further extend this post, I've copied my entire Skyrim/Data folder into the new drive, though I'm probably going to do a clean start. Does anyone know how I can go about salvaging the .esp/.esm in that folder (that is, to install them in my new computer's Skyrim installation)?

Make a copy of your skyrim map and rename this in skyrim clean.   then you have 2 maps with the skyrim (game) name.

"Skyrim clean" and  "Skyrim" (modded).

After playing Skyrim with the modded version you can rename this one in "skyrim modded" and rename your clean copy in "Skyrim"

It works for me.

The only problem are your savegames, or do the same and rename those as well.

Second solution  For the modded version to run, there are some important files needed like skse or another ,dll file.

Move those files out or in your Skyrim folder, mods won't work. Need some testing but I hope you'll find a way. 

I think creating separate user accounts for different people is the most efficient way to block certain users' access to certain folders. The benefit will be worth the little time and effort you will have to invest into learning it.

Also, you might want to start exposing your GF to the stuff you currently think would shock her, and it is very likely you'll find out she's not as prudish as you'd expect. Do it little by little. It is very important to not come across as ashamed. Don't ask cautiously if she approves or disapproves. Just act as if it was all perfectly natural. When she reacts shocked, do look surprised and ask her innocently what's the matter. In my experience, women aren't really disgusted by extreme sexual fantasies, they have merely been conditioned to react disapprovingly to certain things.

My wife knows all about what I have installed with Skyrim and I even talk with her about my building Captured Dreams and its contents. Start with whatever it is you would actually want to do, you never know as she may be interested as well. You don't necessarily need to tell them the sort of fantasies that are strictly fantasy though.

Funny thing is a friend's wife asked him to tie her hands during sex, he had no idea she was interested in anything like that and he found that he liked it as well. I ended up having to explain a lot to him though and pointed him to some items and books to start with.

I think creating separate user accounts for different people is the most efficient way to block certain users' access to certain folders. The benefit will be worth the little time and effort you will have to invest into learning it.

This ^^ 

I have a "Guest" login on my PC for when people come over and want to check something on the computer. Recently my dad was visiting and I used the Guest login for him, because ...you know...I don't want to send him to an early grave via sudden massive heart attack. :lol:  You could set up a user profile for her and that way she can customize it for herself and she won't see your Skyrim. 

However, I really must advise you to just tell her. If you try to hide it she's going to know you're hiding something and will more than likely think it's something way worse than it is, like cheating. Girls are a lot kinkier than you think. ;)  It might turn her on.   

Archived