Havok content tools: Crash while exporting

So I'm trying to export an animation for Fallout 4 to hopefully make some progress on the process.  I have Havok Content Tools 2014, installed with 3ds Max 2014.  Yes, it's legal - I got it just before they shut it down.  I got my animation all done, and now I'm trying to get it to export for Fallout 4.  I can open the sidebar utility just fine, and I selected the .hko file that JoshNZ posted on Nexus, but every time I click on "Export Scene", it crashes to the desktop.  I'm hoping this isn't an incompatibility with 3ds Max 2014.  Others have been using 2013, but I only have 2010 and 2014.  2010's license ran out.  It was an educational licence, and I can't renew it because they only offer 2014 and later.  I'm not sure the tools for 2010 will work for Fallout 4 anyway.

It doesn't give any specific error messages.  It just says "An error has occurred and the application will now close.  Do you want to attempt to save a copy of the current scene?" and then the error reporting window.  Googling hasn't helped.  I'm also on Windows 10, but I was able to export from 3ds Max 2010 for Skyrim successfully just before the license ran out on it, so I'm not sure it's a Windows 10 thing.  3ds Max 2014 works fine otherwise.

Just for fun, I opened Maya 2014 and did all of the same steps, and it crashes there, too, so I feel like it's a problem with HCT, but a reinstall didn't help.

Also, if I just use Havok Content Tools->Export, it says "-- Unknown system exception", but Max doesn't crash.  Instead, it brings up the macro script window with all of the menu item definitions in it.  Still no exporting.  This is what makes me wonder if it has something to do with Windows 10, but again, it worked okay with 2010.

I remember reading somewhere that Windows 10 removes permissions on some folder or another that makes HCT crash.  Anyone hear of this?

Has anyone else gotten HCT to work with Max 2014?  Can anyone at least help me figure out where to start looking for the problem? I don't really know where to start.

Yes, it's legal - I got it just before they shut it down.

Nobody would've asked you the implied question, nobody here gives a shit.

Concerning the problem, I think you'll have a hard time getting some concrete help on that topic since the community is just about to figure out how stuff works. Your best bet is to head over to DexesTTP's thread in the General section and start working with the guys in there.

All our Fallout 4 animation brainpower is focused in that thread - if anyone can help you, it's those guys.

You should probably check out the thread in detail, there is quite some information to be found there. Shade just yesterday posted how he got his set-up to work, you might want to check that out.

I didn't find anyone in the other thread that can help me with this, so if anyone knows what might be causing this, PLEASE let me know!

Even if it's just a place to look for log files.  I can't even find anywhere the plugin might be logging - not even the normal log locations.  And the messages themselves are completely unusable: "-- Unknown system exception".

Archived