CBBE Skin Textures, are they all awful?

Bonnie Lass

So, while I would ideally like to be using UUNP, I'm waiting for fixes from the High-Poly armor conversion for it right now. I'm using CBBE in the mean time. But... I'm extremely frustrated with the quality of the popular skin textures that are out for it.

First I tried Mature Skin. It just didn't look good. I think it's because I'm using something that gives the game a bit more color saturation. But even with all the imperfections turned to their lowest setting, it just still looks blotchy and weird.

Then I tried SG Textures Renewal. This is closer to what I want. Only, I don't know what it is about it, but the 4K textures look like they are 2K textures. Maybe it's because they're compressed? I don't know. Also, supposedly the CBBE version isn't as good as the UNP version - old women have 4 nipples for example.

Lastly I tried Fair Skin Complexion. I was pretty impressed by the options. I thought it was good, at first, but then I moved my dark skinned character toward the light. Oh my gosh, her skin looked hideous - it's like half of her turned albino and the rest of her remained dark. It seems like it only looks good on pale characters.

When I used UNP, I went with the Barbarian skin, which I think is really great, but there doesn't seem to be a CBBE equivalent. Is there anything I'm missing here?

UUNP has better textures .. uh... I don't know how to explain it or if I am correct but, UUNP has more vertex count than CBBE thus its more smooth and better looking. In order for CBBE to look far better it needs more vertex count ( I think)

I am not really sure but that's what I believe (which might be wrong), like I said I don't really know much about this but that's what I think its the difference between UUNP and CBBE.

I use True Daughters of Skyrim 4k it gives a Realistic look and is nice and high quality

but when using ENB like Bleak ENB Porcelain Pale Vampire Skin looks fairly good in interiors.

I either use Millennium ENB or Bleak ENB.

I'll try that.

you should try different normal maps ..after all it is  made to give a low poly model the illusion of a higher poly and how light should reflect of it ..this makes the biggest difference

I'll try this too. I remember Sporty Sexy Map being quite good.

I use True Daughters of Skyrim 4k it gives a Realistic look and is nice and high quality

but when using ENB like Bleak ENB Porcelain Pale Vampire Skin looks fairly good in interiors.

I'll try that.

you should try different normal maps ..after all it is  made to give a low poly model the illusion of a higher poly and how light should reflect of it ..this makes the biggest difference

Sporty Sexy Map is a specular map

CBBE is not the scapegoat. Your described problem, is your distaste for the textures you've chosen in color, saturation, lines, and compression, and you'd have the same distaste if it were on UUNP, or any other.

Textures don't automatically look better on UUNP, because of UUNPs increased polygons. A large portion(not all, of course) of UUNPs bodies have warped UVs, which will distort the textures(this isn't UUNPs fault, but the original bodies encompassed). Even UUNP with no slider values, has distortions in the UV. Again, not UUNP's fault, it doesn't reinvent the wheel, it just gives you as many different types of wheels(even some wheels not as well crafted as others).

If your frustration is really "extreme" as you say, then now is the time to take matters into your own hands, and custom edit from the various shared resources for personal use. Or... take it two steps further and create from scratch, that way your tastes, for you, won't be in conflict.

I'll try that.

Sporty Sexy Map is a specular map

Sporty Sexy Sweat is.

The other is a normal map.

CBBE is not the scapegoat. Your described problem, is your distaste for the textures you've chosen in color, saturation, lines, and compression, and you'd have the same distaste if it were on UUNP, or any other.

I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking this... I was looking through this thread thinking; "Damn, those are all great textures, I'm really not sure what the issue is here." Unless OP is playing on a 42" Television, I can't imagine any of them looking as terrible as she's described.

OP, I think you're just picky. And there's nothing wrong with that, so don't take it the wrong way, but none of these skin textures are "bad," you just don't like them for one reason or another. Hilariously, I would never use the skin texture you posted as one you liked--it all just comes down to personal preference. 

lmao didn't I just see you on that "Is UUNP the new go-to?" thread? What's up with this unconditional hating on CBBE, you on your period or something?

But I agree somewhat. The default CBBE normal map seriously sucks some barbie balls but that's where mods like Fitness Body comes in to save the day. I recommend it over Sporty Sexy Map as it offers much more freedom to how your normal maps look in-game.

Textures don't automatically look better on UUNP, because of UUNPs increased polygons. A large portion(not all, of course) of UUNPs bodies have warped UVs, which will distort the textures(this isn't UUNPs fault, but the original bodies encompassed). Even UUNP with no slider values, has distortions in the UV. Again, not UUNP's fault, it doesn't reinvent the wheel, it just gives you as many different types of wheels(even some wheels not as well crafted as others).

If your frustration is really "extreme" as you say, then now is the time to take matters into your own hands, and custom edit from the various shared resources for personal use. Or... take it two steps further and create from scratch, that way your tastes, for you, won't be in conflict.

lmao didn't I just see you on that "Is UUNP the new go-to?" thread? What's up with this unconditional hating on CBBE, you on your period or something?

But I agree somewhat. The default CBBE normal map seriously sucks some barbie balls but that's where mods like Fitness Body comes in to save the day. I recommend it over Sporty Sexy Map as it offers much more freedom to how your normal maps look in-game.

You know, I explained in the OP that I was using Barbarian Skin, which doesn't have a CBBE counterpart. Having my words twisted into this stupid body mesh rivalry is annoying and condescending.

You know, I explained in the OP that I was using Barbarian Skin, which doesn't have a CBBE counterpart. Having my words twisted into this stupid body mesh rivalry is annoying and condescending.

I apologize for misreading your intent.

You mentioned ideally using UUNP, which I felt was irrelevant.

Arhon went on to fuel the comparison.

SG's 4k textures have different highlight and shading on the CBBE version, compared to the UNP version. Both version's 4k looks like upscaled 1k/2k and overly compressed.

Fair Skin's textures also have different highlights and shading between the two, colors are the same. It's a skin for lighter complexions, hence 'fair skin'.

Mature skin's textures are the same in color, lighting, and shading. Adjustments are made for breasts, navel, and feet to matchup properly to the body.

Nothing to do with UUNP or CBBE bodies themselves, it's your distaste for the textures, that's what my 1st paragraph was about. The 2nd paragraph from my post in which you quoted was directed toward Arhon and the direction of the discussion. The last paragraph, back to you.

You can find a CBBE version of Real Girls if you search for it. I'm pretty sure that's what you want. Maybe.

aafe70c04d7f40d7b91888c79fa62909.jpg

Archived