[DOA5LR] Battle Damage Marie *Update: added Sarah*

MetaModder

Because Tecmo won't give us PC users battle damage, here's a little something I put together that took a little bit of everything I learned about DOA modding so far.

It took the better part of a day, but I hope someone likes it.

Credits: Base Marie mesh by Harry Palmer

Battle Damage Marie by MetaModder.zip

post-910998-0-04878600-1440267650_thumb.jpg

post-910998-0-27199000-1440267661_thumb.jpg

*UPDATE 7/17/2016*

C3S4RFC has figured out how to implement battle damage, so I tried converting this in order to figure out how that works. So far, so good.

Here's the new version with in-game damage. I've fixed the clipping on the left arm, as reported by FusRoDah. This is a very quick and dirty change - the real fix will involve cutting off some of the polys from her arm. I'll upload a version with the "cleaner" fix once I have some time to do it.

MM Marie.rar

I'm working on something similar for Pai, Kasumi and Sarah. Hopefully, I'll have some of those up this week.

*UPDATE 7/23/2016*

Here's the first cut of Battle Damage Sarah. Sarah doesn't have a lot of costumes, and doesn't seem to be a modder favorite sad.png

Hope you like it!

MM Sarah.rar

post-910998-0-16961700-1469242765_thumb.jpgpost-910998-0-54022600-1469242778_thumb.jpg

*UPDATE 7/23/2016*

Uploaded a different version of Marie with fixed clipping on left arm and extra damage on certain articles of clothing as per request.

MM Marie Extra Damage.rar

For those interested in the technical stuff, the workflow I followed is:

1. Extract MARIE_DLCU_001 files using Archivarius.

2. Use TMC Polygon Tool to export all the meshes inside the MARIE_DLCU_001.TMC file as .tmcmesh files. Skip the mesh containing the Marie's body, as we will replace this with Harry Palmer's body mesh.

3. Import the .tmcmesh files into Blender and use the mesh editing and sculpting tools to add rips/tears.

4. Export the finished meshes as .tmcmesh files

5. Cut off the feet of the Harry Palmer base mesh for Marie as they overlap the shoes, using TMC Polygon Tool and DigitalCookie's vertex list (thanks!).

6. Go into TMC Polygon tool and delete the meshes you want to replace.

7. Go into TMC Polygon Import Tool and import the edited meshes plus the now-footless Marie mesh back into the TMC file. Import the meshes into the same slot they came from (ex. edited WGT_body_7 into WGT_body_7 slot).

8. Export the wet clothes texture using Texture Tool, edit, then replace. Do the same for the base body texture and normal map.

9. Use lnk_reshuffler to replace one of the in-game Marie costumes with the new TMC and TMCL.

Interestingly, I ran into a bug with the Blender tmcmesh export script. For certain meshes, it keeps adding back vertices that I already deleted in Blender.

My next WIP is importing the costume of SSFIV AE Makoto and putting it on Hitomi. It works in-game, and uses the exact textures from the source game, but is very preliminary. Painting the weights and associating them to the proper bones is really a big time-sink :(

post-910998-0-65426100-1440270124_thumb.jpg

post-910998-0-68277800-1440270412_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the work flow !! i have tried to install blender but i can't import and export tmc files, even if i've the tmcimporter plugin installed...

Maybe i haven't installed blender correctly, I don't really know where i have to drop the "Transfer_vertex_normals.py" files and

the "_init_.py", "export_tmcmesh.py" and "importmesh.py"...nothing is explained

it would be nice to have a tutorial of "how to install blender and make it work properly"...NEED TO EXPRESS MY CREATIVITY !!!!!

by the way thanks for sharing, and if you can help me with any link it's would be very nice ! :D :D :D

Thanks for the work flow !! i have intalled blender but i can't import and export tmc files, even if i've the tmcimporter plugin installed...

Maybe i haven't installed blender correctly, it would be nice to have a tutorial of "how to install blender and make it work properly"...NEED TO EXPRESS MY CREATIVITY !!!!!

by the way thanks for sharing, and if you can help me with any link it's would be very nice ! :D :D :D

You can't import TMC files into Blender directly. You will have to export .tmcmesh files using TMC Polygon Tool, then import the .tmcmesh into Blender.

Also, make sure that the tmcmesh Blender plugin (io_mesh_tmcmesh.zip) is correctly installed. You can verify this by going to File/User Preferences, then go to the Add-ons tab. You should see an item with the following label: "Import-Export: Import-Export tmcmesh (.tmcmesh)", and the checkbox to the right should be checked.

If the plugin isn't installed, go install it first by hitting "Install from File" at the bottom of the Add-ons tab, then navigate to your "io_mesh_tmcmesh.zip" file. Don't forget to hit Save User Settings afterwards.

After the plugin is correctly installed, importing will be as simple as going to File/Import/tmcmesh (.tmcmesh) and selecting the file you exported from TMC Polygon Tool.

Good luck!

(I edited the workflow description in my previous post to make things clearer).

Edit: Of course, a few hours after I post this, I find a TMC import plugin for Blender. It pulls everything from the TMC into Blender in one go, bones and all!

Hold on. Hold the absolute cookies on.

You can just get a plugin for Blender and edit tmcmesh files...Just like that? THAT simple?

...I've been looking into mesh editing for approximately 7 and a half ice ages, yet it always seemed extremely complex...It can't be just THAT simple?

Yes, it actually opens the floodgates to countless possibilities when it comes to DOA modding :)

The tmcmesh import/export plugin is not perfect, but it works fine 99% of the time, and that's good enough for me.

It still takes quite a bit of time to make stuff happen even with all the cool tools, and this mod represents a significant time investment.

I think the tool suite has or used to have a hard time with normal vectors, but that problem has many simple workarounds.

It still takes quite a bit of time to make stuff happen even with all the cool tools.   I think this stuff has or used to have a hard time with normal vectors, but that problem has many simple workarounds.

The tmcmesh import plugin uses a plugin (that you also need to install) in order to recalculate vertex normals. Because of this, I haven't had to fiddle with normals at all. It's just straight import model, do modeling stuff, then export back out and playtest.

everythings works find now thanks to you!!! last question how do you add (ribs/tears) ? i don't manage find it

Select the mesh you want to edit, then click on the "Object Mode" item in the bottom toolbar. This pops up a flyout menu. Choose either "Edit Mode" if you want to work with vertices/edges/faces directly, or "Sculpt Mode" if you want to use brushes to edit the mesh, sort of like ZBrush.

For rips, you will probably want to use Edit Mode. If you've used a 3D modeling program before, it's only a matter of learning the Blender hotkeys. If not, take a moment to look up the basics of selecting, moving and rotating stuff.

For example, to make a rip, I select the edges I want the tear to go along.  Then I duplicate the edges so that both sides of the edge have their own copy. After that, it's a simple matter of moving vertices around and using Sculpt Mode to bend stuff. You will want to give some depth to the rips by making faces on both sides, as one-sided faces will be invisible from some angles.

I've never used Blender until a week or so ago. The learning curve can be a bit steep, but once you've got the basics down, you're all set :)

everythings works find now thanks to you!!! last question how do you add (ribs/tears) ? i don't manage find it

Select the mesh you want to edit, then click on the "Object Mode" item in the bottom toolbar. This pops up a flyout menu. Choose either "Edit Mode" if you want to work with vertices/edges/faces directly, or "Sculpt Mode" if you want to use brushes to edit the mesh, sort of like ZBrush.

For rips, you will probably want to use Edit Mode. If you've used a 3D modeling program before, it's only a matter of learning the Blender hotkeys. If not, take a moment to look up the basics of selecting, moving and rotating stuff.

For example, to make a rip, I select the edges I want the tear to go along.  Then I duplicate the edges so that both sides of the edge have their own copy. After that, it's a simple matter of moving vertices around and using Sculpt Mode to bend stuff. You will want to give some depth to the rips by making faces on both sides, as one-sided faces will be invisible from some angles.

I've never used Blender until a week or so ago. The learning curve can be a bit steep, but once you've got the basics down, you're all set :)

okay, thanks for all your answers !! it takes lot of time but finally i'm starting to understand how it works ! I need to practice for now !!

Thanks for the help my friend !

For those interested in the technical stuff, the workflow I followed is:

1. Extract MARIE_DLCU_001 files using Archivarius.

2. Use TMC Polygon Tool to export all the meshes inside the MARIE_DLCU_001.TMC file as .tmcmesh files. Skip the mesh containing the Marie's body, as we will replace this with Harry Palmer's body mesh.

3. Import the .tmcmesh files into Blender and use the mesh editing and sculpting tools to add rips/tears.

4. Export the finished meshes as .tmcmesh files

5. Cut off the feet of the Harry Palmer base mesh for Marie as they overlap the shoes, using TMC Polygon Tool and DigitalCookie's vertex list (thanks!).

6. Go into TMC Polygon tool and delete the meshes you want to replace.

7. Go into TMC Polygon Import Tool and import the edited meshes plus the now-footless Marie mesh back into the TMC file. Import the meshes into the same slot they came from (ex. edited WGT_body_7 into WGT_body_7 slot).

8. Export the wet clothes texture using Texture Tool, edit, then replace. Do the same for the base body texture and normal map.

9. Use lnk_reshuffler to replace one of the in-game Marie costumes with the new TMC and TMCL.

Interestingly, I ran into a bug with the Blender tmcmesh export script. For certain meshes, it keeps adding back vertices that I already deleted in Blender.

My next WIP is importing the costume of SSFIV AE Makoto and putting it on Hitomi. It works in-game, and uses the exact textures from the source game, but is very preliminary. Painting the weights and associating them to the proper bones is really a big time-sink :(

attachicon.gifHitomi as Makoto.jpg

attachicon.gif2015-08-23_00004.jpg

Is that Hitomi in Makoto Gi mod still in development?

When I want to replace the default meshes with the edited one (using tmc polygon insert tool) I can't find the default one (in the dropdown) after I delete the default one with tmc polygon tools, what did I do wrong?

When I want to replace the default meshes with the edited one (using tmc polygon insert tool) I can't find the default one (in the dropdown) after I delete the default one with tmc polygon tools, what did I do wrong?

You can try selecting the checkbox labeled "Enable Insert Into Object of Small Vertex Data Size" to the right of the dropdown.

Your mesh slot should then show up, with an asterisk beside it. Back up your work first though, because it is usually a sign that something is wrong. If you're sure the mesh you're inserting came from that slot, it will probably work, but no guarantees. You might not be able to open it in Noesis afterwards, but it often still works in-game.

Is that Hitomi in Makoto Gi mod still in development?

Yeah, but I can only work on it during weekends, so progress hasn't been as quick lately :(

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Always glad to see more Marie Rose mods where she doesn't get giant knockers for some reason (Flat is justice)
I just downloaded that new battle damage version. There seems to be some clipping present on her gloved arm. I don't think it's intentional because you already see it on the character selection screen (i.e. before she even got damaged) 

aakQayG.png

Also, this mod is in the detail list 4 times, what's the difference between them? 

Thanks for reporting the issue! I've updated the file with a quick fix, see the first post. I'll upload a cleaner fix sometime.

Always glad to see more Marie Rose mods where she doesn't get giant knockers for some reason (Flat is justice)
I just downloaded that new battle damage version. There seems to be some clipping present on her gloved arm. I don't think it's intentional because you already see it on the character selection screen (i.e. before she even got damaged) 

aakQayG.png

Also, this mod is in the detail list 4 times, what's the difference between them? 

Archived