Debugging Tools

Are there any debugging tools for Oblivion mods? The mod I've made seems to crash a lot (as in after a while it's guaranteed to crash) and I don't exactly know how even though the code and everything looks good. What I do know is that is has to do with memory and two specific scripts, because if I increase the memory for OBSE it won't crash as quickly as it would with a lower amount, and I think it also has to do with arrays. My only guess is that it's because I broke my mod up into several "quests" each with their own arrays in scripts, and some of those scripts also access arrays from some of my other scripts. So what ends up happening is a race goes on in the code where two scripts try accessing the same array at the same time, or one of them changes an element before the script owning that array has a chance to do what it needs with it. Again though this is all only a guess and I'm tired of fugging around with my mod trying to figure out how to fix it. Anyways, are there any tools I could use?

Personally I feel you need to read think this whole "a race goes on in the code where two scripts try accessing the same array at the same time" structure of your MOD. Oblivion is based on old tech and very limited resources, single threaded, etc. Your current approach IMO is exceeding what the Oblivion engine is even remotely capable of, hence the very frequent lockups. You will, again IMO try to think much more old school if you truly want your MOD to work.

You can retro fit a '65 Chevy Box Nova with a Corvette engine, but odds are something is still gonna to break, if you don't take into account limits or constraints of the tranny and rear.

Tes4edit is one:  http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/11536/?

You can see what is overwriting what and so on.

Thanks I guess, though I think you might not have understood my question.

Personally I feel you need to read think this whole "a race goes on in the code where two scripts try accessing the same array at the same time" structure of your MOD. Oblivion is based on old tech and very limited resources, single threaded, etc. Your current approach IMO is exceeding what the Oblivion engine is even remotely capable of, hence the very frequent lockups. You will, again IMO try to think much more old school if you truly want your MOD to work.

You can retro fit a '65 Chevy Box Nova with a Corvette engine, but odds are something is still gonna to break, if you don't take into account limits or constraints of the tranny and rear.

I pulled the racing thing out of my ass because I don't actually know what's going on, other than it has to do with available memory. For all I know I'm making a seriously nub mistake and once that's taken care of my mod will work. It's not locking up of freezing either, it just crashes to desktop because of the memory issue after a few minutes of play time. Hence the reason I was asking about if any tools exist, because I feel like the solution is really easy.

Double check all your refs to make sure they are valid before making comparisons etc. That can crash you in a heartbeat. This also applies to array members that may or may not be present.  index out of bounds etc. Also watch for making multiple copies of arrays of arrays. ;)

ConScribe may be of use for you in working this out.

Archived