Oblivion to Fallout *Need help*

I've been trying to convert a tail and ear armor from an Oblivion mod. I have permission from the author, but I have run into trouble with blender.

http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/43047/?tab=2&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Foblivion%2Fajax%2Fmodfiles%2F%3Fid%3D43047&pUp=1

I followed an online guide, which has been helpful in placing the armors in the correct position, but I can't find the bone weight in the interface; plus there have some other issues. I removed the armatures and saved them as nif files, but I keep getting an error message, and, after numerous attempts, won't let me save the file even as a Obj. :s

If anyone can help me with this, it would appreciated!

Oblivion (and luckily for you, Blender) user here...

It's no wonder you can't save your file as .obj, .nif, or anything else. You can only save .blend files in Blender!

You'll want to export your file instead. Select the format of your output file among the various options. For Oblivion it's .nif, for Fallout someone else will be more helpful. Just make sure you parent your mesh to a valid skeleton before exporting (CTRL+A to select all objects, import the skeleton with the option "import skeleton only + parent selected").

Parenting is previous to exporting.

Once you have the skeleton in Blender, you want to select all meshes on Edit Mode, then the skeleton and press Ctrl+P

Pop up window asks if you want to "parent things to" and you must select "armature"

That way meshes get "linked" to a skeleton

http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/12248/?This is an older, all-in-one package for Blender that works with Fallout and Oblivion's nif format. Newer versions of Blender don't have the plugin.

Thanks for that link, it came with some good tutorials as well. =)

A shame it's so hard to get a good viewing angle to work with in this version. >_>

I'll post back if I have success.

Darn, still no luck. I must be bad at this. I'm probably making this harder than it should be. =P

Here are the steps I'm going through:

1. Imported the armor/tail mesh

2. Imported the body mesh to use as a reference

3. Deleted skeletons/armatures

4. Match body portions up correctly with the reference model.

5. Extracted game skeleton

6. Selected all meshes and imported the skeleton

7. All meshes, and skeleton, selected, error message: Select 1 or 3 verticles.

I mod Oblivion but process seems wrong from this side.

I dont know other complications like dismembering and stuff but:

6-Import a Fallout skeleton

7-Remove old Bone Weights from new models. There's a "delete" button under "vertex groups" for a determined model. Vertex groups tells you if a model is rigged or not and to what bones it is.

8-Copy Bone Weights from Fallout body to new models (There's a script for it). This is important because with no bone weights AKA "RIGGING" model will have no animations and will give error messages on exporting.

8-Link, AKA "parent" new models to Fallout skeleton AKA "armature"

9-Once you're absolutely sure models are properly rigged and parented to the skeleton, you can export.

I mod Oblivion but process seems wrong from this side.

I dont know other complications like dismembering and stuff but:

6-Import a Fallout skeleton

7-Remove old Bone Weights from new models. There's a "delete" button under "vertex groups" for a determined model. Vertex groups tells you if a model is rigged or not and to what bones it is.

8-Copy Bone Weights from Fallout body to new models (There's a script for it). This is important because with no bone weights AKA "RIGGING" model will have no animations and will give error messages on exporting.

8-Link, AKA "parent" new models to Fallout skeleton AKA "armature"

9-Once you're absolutely sure models are properly rigged and parented to the skeleton, you can export.

Thanks, that was very helpful! Now everything is appearing in Nifskope appropriately, however, now it won't show in Geck. >_>

When I view the mesh I can make out a shimmering brown blob far left off screen, but that's about it.

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out. The textures weren't registered with the new mesh. They won't apply correctly, but I think I should be able to figure it out.

Archived