Skyrim Causing weird overheating issue

So recently since the past two days my Skyrim game has been overheating really badly. The thing is though I haven't changed any settings anywhere, and other games still maintain the same temps that they've always had without any issues. I'll start up Skyrim, and the temp will steadily increase to the point that the temps get to 75+ degrees (usually it's around 50 - 60 degrees) within minutes. I don't think it's dust either, because when I opened up my case, the only dust I could see was a small amount on the wires connected to the video card. And it's not the gel for the video card sink either because then other games would be having the same issues as well and they aren't.

It's just hot and steamy because of all the sex mods. :)

Seriously, though, if you haven't changed settings, I suppose it could be something with the saved game... that is, some script is causing the CPU to work overtime? Have you tried starting a brand new game and running it for a while, see if that also causes overheating?

Is it your video card that's heating up, or your CPU, or just general case temperature?

Are you using AMD video? It looks sooo familiar.

I play with R9 280, average temps ~60c, but when I launch Skyrim it goes up to 80. The reasons are:

1) ENB (don't know if you're use it)

2) For some reason videocard's fan control doesn't raise fan speed higher than 40% even when overheating. If manually set it to 70-80% in CCC, temperature will be below 60 degrees.

Seriously, though, if you haven't changed settings, I suppose it could be something with the saved game... that is, some script is causing the CPU to work overtime? Have you tried starting a brand new game and running it for a while, see if that also causes overheating?

Is it your video card that's heating up, or your CPU, or just general case temperature?

I started a brand new game, and I wasn't experiencing any overheating. I double checked and the GPU is the only thing overheating, everything else is working fine.

I play with R9 280, average temps ~60c, but when I launch Skyrim it goes up to 80. The reasons are:

2) For some reason videocard's fan control doesn't raise fan speed higher than 40% even when overheating. If manually set it to 70-80% in CCC, temperature will be below 60 degrees.

I don't use either of those things, just a lighting overhaul mod which removes/edits vanilla light sources, and a NVIDIA GTX 760 card.

I started a brand new game, and I wasn't experiencing any overheating. I double checked and the GPU is the only thing overheating, everything else is working fine.

I don't use either of those things, just a lighting overhaul mod which removes/edits vanilla light sources, and a NVIDIA GTX 760 card.

It's not a bad idea, though, checking your VC fan controls. There are several third-party utilities out there that can do it. I generally use MSI Afterburner to control my video card's fan. Speedfan is another good one. I'm sure there are also loads of other good ones out there. As lald said, setting it to 70-80% fan speed is pretty good (I usually set mine to 80%) (if you can stand the noise :) ).

It's not a bad idea, though, checking your VC fan controls. There are several third-party utilities out there that can do it. I generally use MSI Afterburner to control my video card's fan. Speedfan is another good one. I'm sure there are also loads of other good ones out there. As lald said, setting it to 70-80% fan speed is pretty good (I usually set mine to 80%) (if you can stand the noise :) ).

So is the reason it's happening is because a script/s are bottle necking the CPU or something?

I don't usually pipe in on this sort of issue, mods with scripts are not the cause of this issue.

It'd be more likely that your running too many high poly or textures.

Check through simple stuff first,

If say your not under warrantee anymore check out the inside of the case, got any cobwebs in there?  Yes I said cobwebs, also there might be dust, and then untop of that if you smoke in the same room as the computer you could have a layer of tar on the parts.

Canned air is about all I'm going to say about cleaning I really don't want to say much on that so much could get even worse if you don't clean right, like a non-functional computer.  That said I have cleaned mine plenty and professional cleaning at a brick and mortar store will probably cost about 100-200 dollars.

Canned Air probably run about 8 dollars.

An ear Swab with appropriate fluid probably far cheaper, I don't want to make suggestions on this.

For god sakes don't you dare use water (H2O) if you do you'll frickin break your machine.

Video Drivers maybe but I would go to the main website for the maker of the card for info on that.

BE AWARE

If your machine is under warranty you VOID it by opening the box.  ><

If your under warranty just take it to where you bought it, they will probably clean it for free.

I don't usually pipe in on this sort of issue, mods with scripts are not the cause of this issue.

It'd be more likely that your running too many high poly or textures.

Check through simple stuff first,

If say your not under warrantee anymore check out the inside of the case, got any cobwebs in there?  Yes I said cobwebs, also there might be dust, and then untop of that if you smoke in the same room as the computer you could have a layer of tar on the parts.

Canned air is about all I'm going to say about cleaning I really don't want to say much on that so much could get even worse if you don't clean right, like a non-functional computer.  That said I have cleaned mine plenty and professional cleaning at a brick and mortar store will probably cost about 100-200 dollars.

Canned Air probably run about 8 dollars.

An ear Swab with appropriate fluid probably far cheaper, I don't want to make suggestions on this.

For god sakes don't you dare use water (H2O) if you do you'll frickin break your machine.

Video Drivers maybe but I would go to the main website for the maker of the card for info on that.

BE AWARE

If your machine is under warranty you VOID it by opening the box.  ><

If your under warranty just take it to where you bought it, they will probably clean it for free.

If dust/cobwebs/whatever really was the issue though, I'd see other games having the same issue when right now they aren't. I've also looked into my case and don't see any dust, cobwebs, tar, etc. It's actually pretty clean considering all things. However the high poly/texture thing makes sense, I do have a companion with LARGE textures (bigger than vanilla I think). I think in the past I had troubles with that companion and experiencing large frame drops.

lol 75+ overheating... come back if it is 95+...

CPU max temp is 100, around that your pc will shut down.

GPU max temp is 110-120, depending on the manufactor, around 100 your driver will go nuts and clock the card down.

The thing is though that the temp is runaway. If I ignore it it just keeps getting hotter and hotter with no end in sight, and I don't want to end up trashing my overpriced video card or causing my computer to force a shut down to try to cool down.

Hmmm, now I've got a new problem. The GPU clock is still running as if I'm running a intensive background app at 979 MhZ (I'm just using chrome no games), instead of dropping down when I'm doing simple web browsing which is usually only a couple hundred MhZ. And the temperature is not dropping but remaining at around 50 degrees when idle on the desktop.

So is the reason it's happening is because a script/s are bottle necking the CPU or something? I doubt it...

I don't usually pipe in on this sort of issue, mods with scripts are not the cause of this issue. Yeah, it's highly unlikely. I mean, you can't rule it out completely, I don't know what kind of computer you have, and every system (even if it's ostensibly an identical system) is different. Is it a potato? But, having said that, even a potato shouldn't necessarily have overheating issues with the CPU, I don't think.

It'd be more likely that your running too many high poly or textures. I have in the past run lots of high-poly mesh mods and high-res textures. The worst that usually happens is that after a while the memory overloads and you start getting purple or black meshes everywhere. Exit the game and re-enter should fix it. I have, however, had problems with too many particle effects or shaders. I dunno, maybe textures/meshes are heating up the card too much, it's kind of hard to tell without being right there. :)

If dust/cobwebs/whatever really was the issue though, I'd see other games having the same issue when right now they aren't. Not guaranteed, but probably, yeah. I've also looked into my case and don't see any dust, cobwebs, tar, etc. My sister has an old computer she never cleans, it's got about maybe half a centimeter of dust thickness, it still runs. It's actually pretty clean considering all things. However the high poly/texture thing makes sense, I do have a companion with LARGE textures (bigger than vanilla I think). I think in the past I had troubles with that companion and experiencing large frame drops.

I dunno, at 75 degrees, it starts getting uncomfortable sitting in the same room. I can see wanting to get it down again.

GPU max temp is 110-120, depending on the manufactor, around 100 your driver will go nuts and clock the card down. Well, that's not necessarily true... a friend of mine had Starcraft 2 eat his video card. He left it sitting on the main menu, he said, and there was no cap in the game, it kept ramping up and up until finally it destroyed the card, and apparently damaged a nearby card (I think he said it was a sound card or something) and left a small scorch mark on the case. I've never heard of that before, so I dunno if it really was Starcraft or if it was something else (bad card, block of dust, something else), but hey, it could be a bad card.

The thing is though that the temp is runaway. If I ignore it it just keeps getting hotter and hotter with no end in sight, and I don't want to end up trashing my overpriced video card or causing my computer to force a shut down to try to cool down.

Hmmm, now I've got a new problem. The GPU clock is still running as if I'm running a intensive background app at 979 MhZ (I'm just using chrome no games), instead of dropping down when I'm doing simple web browsing which is usually only a couple hundred MhZ. And the temperature is not dropping but remaining at around 50 degrees when idle on the desktop.

Hmm... my core clock is always running at 772mhz, no matter what I'm doing. I've got a bit of an older video card, though... I guess the new ones throttle down or something. I haven't kept up with the tech. :)

Have you checked your active processes? Is there anything new that might be eating GPU cycles for some reason? Running any programs in the background like MSI Kombuster or anything like that?

So is the reason it's happening is because a script/s are bottle necking the CPU or something? I doubt it...

I don't usually pipe in on this sort of issue, mods with scripts are not the cause of this issue. Yeah, it's highly unlikely. I mean, you can't rule it out completely, I don't know what kind of computer you have, and every system (even if it's ostensibly an identical system) is different. Is it a potato? But, having said that, even a potato shouldn't necessarily have overheating issues with the CPU, I don't think.

It'd be more likely that your running too many high poly or textures. I have in the past run lots of high-poly mesh mods and high-res textures. The worst that usually happens is that after a while the memory overloads and you start getting purple or black meshes everywhere. Exit the game and re-enter should fix it. I have, however, had problems with too many particle effects or shaders. I dunno, maybe textures/meshes are heating up the card too much, it's kind of hard to tell without being right there. :)

If dust/cobwebs/whatever really was the issue though, I'd see other games having the same issue when right now they aren't. Not guaranteed, but probably, yeah. I've also looked into my case and don't see any dust, cobwebs, tar, etc. My sister has an old computer she never cleans, it's got about maybe half a centimeter of dust thickness, it still runs. It's actually pretty clean considering all things. However the high poly/texture thing makes sense, I do have a companion with LARGE textures (bigger than vanilla I think). I think in the past I had troubles with that companion and experiencing large frame drops.

I dunno, at 75 degrees, it starts getting uncomfortable sitting in the same room. I can see wanting to get it down again.

GPU max temp is 110-120, depending on the manufactor, around 100 your driver will go nuts and clock the card down. Well, that's not necessarily true... a friend of mine had Starcraft 2 eat his video card. He left it sitting on the main menu, he said, and there was no cap in the game, it kept ramping up and up until finally it destroyed the card, and apparently damaged a nearby card (I think he said it was a sound card or something) and left a small scorch mark on the case. I've never heard of that before, so I dunno if it really was Starcraft or if it was something else (bad card, block of dust, something else), but hey, it could be a bad card.

Hmm... my core clock is always running at 772mhz, no matter what I'm doing. I've got a bit of an older video card, though... I guess the new ones throttle down or something. I haven't kept up with the tech. :)

Have you checked your active processes? Is there anything new that might be eating GPU cycles for some reason? Running any programs in the background like MSI Kombuster or anything like that?

Yeah that was something completely unrelated to my problem. What happened was I was messing around with the card settings and accidentally set the power management mode to maximum performance instead of adaptive. So you can ignore that stupidity on my part (funny story, I was sh*ting my pants because I thought either I broke my card or it was dying  :lol:). Still having trouble with Skyrim overheating though. I think it may have something to do with the HDT mods I have, since that's the only "new" thing I'm using with my Skyrim that I didn't before when it would run fine. I think it's not a problem when starting a new game because being female, hormones, the estrus mods, and deadly drain haven't messed around with weight/size of body parts at that time.

Archived