Setting voice files for a custom CM companion (non-playable race)

I'm building a CM companion with peculiar specs.

The race is a slightly modified version of the Imperial race, it's set as non-playable and is defined inside the companion esp.

I created a subfolder <racename> in Data\Sound\Voice and copied the voice files from the 'Imperial' folder in it (I wish to keep them separated for future developments). The non-playable flag is also preferable.

Sadly, the HELLO and GREETINGS dialogues won't play because of their last condition:

GetIsPlayableRace == 1.00  [AND]

so my companion is speechless, and other NPC's attempts to initiate conversation fail miserably.

Duplicating the missing conversations, and testing a different condition (GetIsID == <companion FormID>) seems to be ineffective. Any ideas?

HELLO and GREETINGS with codition GetIsPlayableRace == 1.00  [AND]  ?

just check 20 -30  Hellos and Greetings but no GetIsPlayableRace flag.

I checked conversations all NPC use, like Comments about your skills . All other voice files will not work ( all for specific NPCs with GetIsID flag )

And all your custom NPC dialogs/Hello/Greetings must only have a GetIsID flag to your race NPC ID.

?

We have a different version of Oblivion, I guess, or different mods.

For example, comments about skills are disabled by "No more annoying comments.esp".

Patches are official 1.2.0416, UOP + UOP supplemental, Unofficial SI Patch.

I don't use the official DLCs, so UOMP is not installed.

Look for GOODBYE and HELLO entries related to SENQDGeneric Quest.

I retrieved the strings using "filtered dialogue", and selecting the companion NPC from the drop down list.

UPDATE
This is odd. Using filtered dialogue for a standard CM companion (one present in the main .esp) reveals a lot more conversations. In fact, my custom companion has only GOODBYE and HELLO entries related to SENQDGeneric Quest, one HELLO entry for MQ00 Quest (Run on Target "Martin")and two other conversations: SE12TraitorTaunts and SERooftopFight. That's all. And nearly all the Topics are missing.

I'll try rebuilding the esp from scratch.

Of corse the dialogue entries disappear... did you ever see a Dremora talking about mudcrabs, or the Gray Fox? :lol:

All is fine until I untick the checkbox "Playable". Then most of the topics and conversations vanish.

Make it playable again and all returns back to normal.

I guess I have no choice but to renounce to the non-playable requirement. Unless...

Is there a way to hide a playable race from the racemenu, that you know of?

There is a bug deep within the Oblivion code that is directly related to making a race Playable or not. The only known work around, if you intend on interacting with this companion is to make Playable active. Otherwise the bug kicks in and I have not read of any fix for it.

Make it playable again and all returns back to normal.

(Self-quote) Probably don't. My NPC now greets me with Imperial voice as I approach him/her, after that it's like someone pushed the 'mute' button. At least now I see the lips move... that's a big improvement. :dodgy:

Rebuilding the esp for the 3rd time...

You may need to regenerate the lip sync files (egt?), don't exactly know as I've never tried adding lip synced voices to an NPC. If you are using any non-standard or vanilla voice files make sure you format is correct. Oblivion is rather persnickety when it comes to audio. I find Audacity to be one of the best tools to use concerning audio files. I've used it to alter pitch and tempo for some voices, used and edited sound clips from other games and hentai movies, etc. and brought them into Oblivion.

I found a way to set voice files for a custom race companion (CM or not), after reading this post:

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/35573-custom-voice-for-custom-race/

I'll give some extra details for those interested.

First, I extracted the Imperial voice files from Oblivion - Voice2.bsa (warning: LOTS of files), then filtered out a large number of mp3/lip files (dialogues related to quests, unique npc dialogues, infogeneral and alike. A tedious task indeed.

Finally, I copied the remaining files in Data\Sound\Voice\Oblivion.esm\<CustomRaceName>

My CM companion is now fully voiced, but any attempt to make the race not playable (like "NordVilja" race in companion Vilja mod) will disable nearly all topics and conversations and make the companion silent once again. I think Companion Vilja is no exception to the rule, it's just that she's fully voice acted. Every dialogue in the game must have been rebuilt and linked to custom voice files. Impressive work!

If anyone figured out a way to make custom races voiced AND non playable (without having to rework all the conversation system, like in Vilja mod), please let me know.

Archived