Question about recovering my game from a reformat?

MisterUsername

So i recently did a reformat on my PC. i backed up the game files from my steamapps/common/skyrim directory, and i also backed up the "my games" folder in my documents.

however one thing i did not backup was the nexus mod mamager folder, NMM was the only mod manager i used as any other mods i installed manually.

so my question is; if i installed the mods i had in NMM before in NMM, would all my mods be back in place as normal?

If you really mean that your NMM folder was not backed up before you completely wiped your computer, then by my best understanding I think everything is gone.

However this might become strange because your mods, I think are still retained under skyrim. However, by your description, will not be recognized (I think) by NMM.

It might get complicated.

You should be able to re-download all your mods, reinstall them all, load the save game and have it all work, whether it will or not however is subject to uncertainty.  If you had merged patches then they will all need rebuilding if you didn't back them up.

Though if you had mods not from nexus installed and didn't bookmark where you got them from finding them could be a major pain, or depending on how old they are maybe not possible, as modders stop playing/modding and remove there mods or change user names an websites.

One of the reasons I go multi drive on my pc, I can keep all the mods and my documents on the other drive makes re-installs much easier, and considering how much 1-2tb hard drives are not too expensive.

Though to be honest I run 5 2Tb drives in this machine, and I would have more but there is no extra drive bays, and I don't have the room for a full tower or server case :angry:

If you are doing a full fresh reinstall and set-up however, mod organiser might be worth looking at rather than nmm, though mo does from what I am aware have a major learning curve on it.

WHILE YOU'RE AT IT. . . 

You should give Mod Organizer a look. 

I've got well over 200 mods installed, but the ones that aren't used aren't even in the way. the individual mods are kept separate on disk then MO builds a 'virtual directory' of mods that are selected before loading the game. You drag and drop for load order, and those mods are ordered "virtually", overwriting in ram at game load. So having a 'clean' install is as simple as unchecking all mods.

It'll prevent you from ever having to reinstall skyrim again. And even tho it'll be a new program to you, unless you're super thick it's not hard to pick up at all. 

WHILE YOU'RE AT IT. . . 

You should give Mod Organizer a look. 

I've got well over 200 mods installed, but the ones that aren't used aren't even in the way. the individual mods are kept separate on disk then MO builds a 'virtual directory' of mods that are selected before loading the game. You drag and drop for load order, and those mods are ordered "virtually", overwriting in ram at game load. So having a 'clean' install is as simple as unchecking all mods.

It'll prevent you from ever having to reinstall skyrim again. And even tho it'll be a new program to you, unless you're super thick it's not hard to pick up at all. 

Yep, I can confirm this. I used NMM for a long time because I thought MO was too difficult to understand, but after my Skyrim had become a huge tangled mess of mods and I couldn't salvage anything anymore, I decided to reinstall and give MO a try since it keeps the Data folder clean.

It was definitely worth it! There's also a really neat built-in tutorial explaining to you how everything works. MO even handles NMM links from the Nexus, so you'll not be missing anything.

You can also install wyrebash and its saves tab will allow you to see all the mods that the save had in it, which may help for the less updated ones you may have had installed.

Mod Organizer also does this. Just hover your cursor over the save in the right pane and it will list any missing files then put them back with one click if any are missing.

I'm currently working on a python based project. It's using the Pyramid framework. For the things that it doesn't provide, we're using other tools. There's 18 tools in all that are being used on this project (that will amount to about 3 web pages).

I wanted to use Django for the framework. It has been described as "batteries included". The list of dependencies for using Django on this project? 1... Django.

Mod Organizer is "Batteries Included". You don't have to use anything else. 

Archived