Naming conventions could be a nice idea

Zabuzed

Even if it got a lot better during the last year, there are still some strange things happening in the download section (  :P I wrote sextion first, guess why I am here).

Be serious now.

• Clear names should be normal, and no, you are no longer limited to 8 characters... The *.bsa/*.esm/*.esp having the same name than the package file would be a plus.
  • Version numbers. I downloaded one package which had 2 files in the download section: V10 and V666. Is V666 a satanic joke or is it the actual file? The description didn't say a thing about it.
  • \Docs\Readme.txt in the package. Are you fucking kidding? Guess what happens when you install Readme.txt 50 times: The last wins. Or the first, if you read the error-message concerning an already existing file 49 times and chose not to overwrite it. (Wrye Bash shows you 49 conflicting files in that case, have fun).

Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate your hard work on mods. But, you put so much work in that... it can't be a real problem to name stuff in a way that even the dumbest mod manager can handle it correctly.

Yea,I see your problems. I feel your pain. However this has been brought up before ( I believe several times) and it always comes down to this:

The biggest and most important thing of this community, is that the modders come first. They are the ones who make this community worth coming to, they are the ones enabling you to even play these mods.  Meaning if you don't like the way a mod is going, don't be a jerk about it, they can take the mod in whatever direction they want. Don't like it? Then make your own release and put the work in yourself. Find a bug or issue that needs to be fixed? Don't be a jerk about it and raise your concerns and feedback in a constructive manner.

Some do the naming better than others and some are quite bad I agree however it is their files and if there is any confusion do as I do .. ( and did just recently) post a clarifying question. The mod author or someone that uses that mod would chime in with the info related to what was going on. As for the files that overwrite each other and such.. It comes down to opening the folder and making sure the structure is correct.

Look at the bright side. It helps train those that don't know folder structurs, naming convenctions and conflicts be it WyreBash, NMM or MO. :D. ..Yea that didn't help much.. :( Sounded better in my head.. :s

Do you know how big your game folder would get if you had say 255 readme's in it all with a different name? You still wouldn't know what the hell was going on or what the hell readme goes to what and good luck on looking through 255 readme's looking for the 1 readme that you need.

If I need to look at a readme I just go to the mod managers folder that holds the mod rar/zips then right click the one I need then use 7zip to open the archive and drag the readme out read it and then throw it away.

Archived