Mo update broke my skyrim ??

D_ManXX2

What's with all the MO hate? I'm using it for a fairly long time and never had any problem with it, didn't have to reinstall anything at all. 

Works perfectly fine for me, could anyone explain what's the downside to MO? thanks in advance

No downsides, only upsides.

Everything is done through MO, so you don't end up with unnecessary clutter.

It creates a virtual directory for everything, so it doesn't alter your skyrim directory at all, even a copy of skyrim.ini and skyrimprefs.ini is initiated from a MO folder.

You can launch any apps for skyrim through MO, so you still have everything usable, with the mods available to them.

You can launch wryebash from it, allowing you to make bashed patches.

It includes LOOT inside of it, easily use patchers, use nexus links, unpack bsa's, etc. and even modify the layout and looks a bit.

Unlike other organizers, you can sort the priority of the mods. This means that any conflicts are editable by the user (you decide what mod does what).

And more... I don't even know all the features.

Well, there is really only one (maybe two) downsides to MO.

Creation Kit issues. It doesn't play friendly with it. Sure you can get it to work, but it's not perfect. Only other downside? It takes time to learn to use. It can be a bit complex for the average user who is not familiar at all with all that technical stuff. There is a lot of work you have to do to it to get it running properly and working with all your different programs (FNIS, SKSE, SkyProc, ENB, etc). So expect to be reading a lot and trying to learn it for awhile before you start using it.

It's not a simple program like NMM is. It's more complex and takes time to learn to use. Otherwise, from what I've heard, it's a great mod manager. I don't use it personally, cause all I ever hear about it is that it just allows you to have multiple mod profiles and keep your data folder clean. That's it. Which didn't make a lot of sense to me, cause my data folder is just fine with all my mods in it. And if I need to revert back to vanilla Skyrim, I already know what to delete to do that. Plus STEP already has a guide on how to do that as well. So to me, personally, it just seemed pointless to go through all that trouble just to have a clean data directory. As for mod profiles, I play one character. So I only need one profile. So that feature doesn't matter to me. I stick with all my mods, as I have no reason to have different profiles for them.

But to each their own.

Alright, thank you for the answers! I just started using mods this year, but never had any problems with MO. A friend of mine showed me what can be done with the awesome world of Skyrim so I had to check it out :D It's my first mod experience with games overall. He told me to use ModOrganizer because it would be better for my game directory, you are not able to crash your installation, and you can run like infinite mods at once. Honestly I've never used the NMM and I don't know what it looks like or what it does different except for the clean data folder.

Don't really know about creation kit issues, since I'm not modding (if it's for modding). FNIS and SKSE installation wasn't a problem at all, but I think, like you said, it really depends on the experience the user has with the technical stuff. For the beginning with MO I just watched ONE tutorial video (~10min). After that I knew what I had to do to make the things work how I want them to work, and had no problem with it since then. 

MO is a blessing, I never found any problem I couldn't resolve. If you want to work with CK you just need to load the "basic" mods in Mod Organizer and load CK from that profile. It should work as intended. I have like 6 different profiles in MO, for gaming, testing, re-testing, developing, etc... And I switch between them in a sec.

You just need to take a few hours to understand the program well, and you will understand pretty fast the power of MO.

And really, I find it hard to believe that MO is capable of damaging your skyrim.

MO is a blessing, I never found any problem I couldn't resolve. If you want to work with CK you just need to load the "basic" mods in Mod Organizer and load CK from that profile. It should work as intended. I have like 6 different profiles in MO, for gaming, testing, re-testing, developing, etc... And I switch between them in a sec.

You just need to take a few hours to understand the program well, and you will understand pretty fast the power of MO.

And really, I find it hard to believe that MO is capable of damaging your skyrim.

The problem with MO is not the understanding how it works its the converting of a allready heavy modded skyrim to MO. If you don't need diffrent profiles there is just no point in switching and going trough the hassel of reinstalling all of your mods into MO I'm not saying that MO isn't great, but its overrated.

I personally don't need a profile for testing I install the mod test it if it don't work I just delete it again of course I need to have a backup where I take out the original files, but its not like I have to do that a hundred times a day.

I try'd MO and I must say for my needs its easier without it since its useless to have a clean directory I mean for what? Guess I'm too old for this shit... you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

As its allready said each their own.

I try'd MO and I must say for my needs its easier without it since its useless to have a clean directory I mean for what? Guess I'm too old for this shit... you can't teach an old dog new tricks

Never too old to be taught some new shit.. :D.

The problem with MO is not the understanding how it works its the converting of a allready heavy modded skyrim to MO.If you don't need diffrent profiles there is just no point in switching and going trough the hassel of reinstalling all of your mods into MO

I agree 100%

I'm not saying that MO isn't great, but its overrated.

Disagree there to a point. MO is the only manager that uses virtual data to handle the mods. It is an evolution in approach and thus deserves a little praise for this alone. Then add profiles which not everybody needs but most do start to enjoy when they have that available and you do have a unique, approach to mod management worthy of praise. It isn't just another mod manager.

I personally don't need a profile for testing I install the mod test it if it don't work I just delete it again of course I need to have a backup where I take out the original files, but its not like I have to do that a hundred times a day.

True. Very true. Normally not needed and if the current process works for you .. all the more power to you.. I never recommend changing mod managers  to anybody that has a functional process to properly handle their modding needs and are satisfied with the process. Regardless of how more convent or easier or in my opinion better another process is.

I try'd MO and I must say for my needs its easier without it since its useless to have a clean directory I mean for what?

I am also one that isn't concerned with a clean directory. I used old mod managers and at one time in the past had to even use manual install and .txt archive invalidated files.. remember those.? .. Nothing a good backup and some common sense can't solve. Now with the mod managers even NMM being decent enough and reliable enough to safely install and remove mods... all one has to do is uninstall all the mods and you would return back to a clean directory anyway.. Just takes more button mashing to do so.. :D.

As its allready said each their own.

Yep.. MO got my interest because I wanted to play different characters in Skyrim. I would get board of a wizard, thief, warrior and want to explore different options for each. Profiles fill that need.

Now going forward with FNV I would like to have profiles + different games .. Project Brazil, TTW, F3FNV, and other mods that are outdated running in different profiles so that I can just click and play. I am too old to be messing around with installing this and uninstalling that, then which order was that installed to get what I wanted. .. OH wait. I don't want that file active and overwriting this file.. dam need to uninstall those two files and reinstall it.. fuck I forgot that file needed to be installed first. Time to uninstall all three again and then reinstall that first then the next to and click to yes to each file ( regardless of if there are 100's of files) until I find the one I don't want overwritten then state no and yes to all for the rest. Then install the next and do the same process again. UGH.. Sorry.. With MO I install them all. Click on the file.. see conflicts. Move the file up or down as needed and even have an option to hide a file so it no longer offends me in each mod installed. If I find I need to change something to get different files presented to the game.. just drag it up or down, or simply hide that one file. done. less than 5 minutes and a new game with new mods are created. Nothing is ever uninstalled. Just activated or unactivated. At all times all your installed mods are ready for activation at a click of the mouse. Decide you do what that mod or this.. click.. Don't matter how big or small. one click / one second it is active. TTW takes an hour or so just to install. Project Nevada several minutes. with MO .. Click = done.

Finally.. :) I can control and use NMM ( I suppose is your current mod manager) through MO and do anything I want with that manager. Same for FOMM, OBMM, Wyre Bash. As well as FNIS and other external programs. I have each and every mod manager and their tools at my disposal any time I want and the resulting files .. neatly dropped into my overwrites folder for me to make a mods out of .. ;).. As I stated it isn't a normal mod manager. It is an evolution and thus does deserve its praises.

Archived