Adding cooldown to spells/powers/lesser powers?

Mailamea

I know i have been all over the forums this week, there's a reason for it, I'm making something new.

Back on topic, is there anyway to add cooldowns on the following? spells/powers/lesserpowers?

I noticed adding cooldown to shouts is the only thing that works but the player cant start with a shout at the beginning.

Easier to just use CK, and leave scripts alone.

For example lets say you want to make a spell heal 30 HP and have cooldown of 10 seconds.

Create a new magic effect with "Dummy" archetype and set it to 'fire and forget'.

Create your new spell and add the healing effect and also add this dummy effect. Set duration of dummy effect 10 seconds and in conditions of spell add "Not have magic effect". Now your dummy effect will act as a cooldown effect for your spell.

Hope this helps... :D

Easier to just use CK, and leave scripts alone.

For example lets say you want to make a spell heal 30 HP and have cooldown of 10 seconds.

Create a new magic effect with "Dummy" archetype and set it to 'fire and forget'.

Create your new spell and add the healing effect and also add this dummy effect. Set duration of dummy effect 10 seconds and in conditions of spell add "Not have magic effect". Now your dummy effect will act as a cooldown effect for your spell.

Hope this helps... :D

Thanks, ill try doing this later, ill poke you up if I get stuck.

Cooldown timers are such a poor kludge of gameplay mechanics, and they never justify themselves in-Verse without sounding like voodoo sharks. The point of them is to prevent an ability granted to the player from being overpowered through frequency of use, but there are better and more plausible ways to go about it. Extend the execution time with a longer animation, both the windup and the release stages. Each second of cost there is multiplied in tactical cost; instead of waiting for this power to become available again, you have to wait for it to become advantageous to use again.

It's been argued that potions can give magicka and stamina to keep spamming a spell, but right now those are only limited by carrying weight. So why isn't there a drinking animation? It takes time to lift a bottle to your lips and empty it, and that liquid won't do you any good if you don't swallow (good adventurers always swallow.) Why does time stop while you stuff down a buffet table of food and swig endless potions and boozes at once? Shouldn't consumption be a time management factor?

Oh new thing. I need help again. How do I force a timed active effect on the player, like paralysis.

Now that, milady, is something I've never figured out yet, BUT I've an idea: Try skimming through the CK for the spells Paralysis, Ice Form, or even Telekinesis. Each spell should list spell effects attached to them. Then hunt down the effects in the Effect list, change durations, targets, and such to your liking, and add these to your new spell's effects list.

I've only done this with Ice Form just to remove the static ice mesh that appears on the target when active, though. I'm thinking that by creating your own Effects, like the dummy effect for cooldowns, or by combining vanilla Effects modified to your standards would be sufficient for whatever spell you create.

Here are the links I've had before;

http://www.creationkit.com/Spell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7ikxJJcVG4

Wish I could be of greater assistance.... :(

PS: An idea I had was to change the Ice Form static mesh to one of translucent ice-blue rings with glowing magic symbols embedded in each ring, that rapidly rice from the floor to encircle the target until they dissipate when the spell fades. Sucks that I suck at anything to do with Blender....

Archived