Converting armors/clothing from Skyrim to Oblivion

Ryu

Recently I went back from Skyrim to Oblivion and decided to port some of the clothing/armor I found cool in Skyrim. So far I somehow managed to convert Amiella Outfit (top and bottom, but without panties) and I am working on Hot Pants. Unfortunately, I am encountering a ton of glitches I haven't seen so far and ones I cannot fix myself. 

Firstly, I am using Blender 2.49b and Nif Scripts for Blender (most recent stable version). I am not importing Skyrim clothing per se, but rather appending from existing .blend files I've created earlier. The glitches I mentioned above are:

- mangled and distorted model (I know this is a skeleton issue and this I managed to solve myself)

- model visible in-game, but not visible in the inventory preview on my character

- model shifted on the body, but still visible

I'm usually exporting models together with the base body I am using and the base body is in all instances exported properly. Only the Skyrim-derived meshes are the actual problem.

Did anyone encounter anything similar while working in Blender? Could it be that Appending/Linking meshes causes some of the constraints to be carried over?

EDIT: Posting .nif model per suggestion.

EDIT2: Posting texture files.

Hot Pants Bottom 1.nif

HotPants01.dds

HotPants_n.dds

You may also get additional responses to your question if you post this in the Modders Resources, maybe the thread Blender 2.49b Scripts Package 1.01 (12/27/2013)?

Conversions from Skyrim to Oblivion is also very new, so not many LL members are doing it yet. From what little I looked into it, there are some core differences in Skyrim NIFs, vs. Oblivion NIFs. Have you tried a NifSkope review of the NIF file structure?

You may also get additional responses to your question if you post this in the Modders Resources, maybe the thread Blender 2.49b Scripts Package 1.01 (12/27/2013)?

Conversions from Skyrim to Oblivion is also very new, so not many LL members are doing it yet. From what little I looked into it, there are some core differences in Skyrim NIFs, vs. Oblivion NIFs. Have you tried a NifSkope review of the NIF file structure?

I am well aware of the differences in .nif models between Skyrim and Oblivion. However, those differences are only reflected in the .nif, not in Blender. Within Blender each model is just a model :). 

As far as NIfSkope goes, the file structure fits Oblivion standards perfectly. Also, the distortions are not visible within NifSkope, even when I exchange the skeleton or copy the object to a different .nif with the same skeleton. The problem somehow arises within Blender itself and then is only visible in-game.

I will probably re-post this thread into the Modders Resources as you suggested. Thanks for help :).

Model shifted on the body, but still visible sounds like a mesh rigging thing. Like if you open a nif and use the right click on a outfit/item in nifskope and go to transform - edit and then change the placement of the outfit/item it can mess up the weighting and make it out of order. Position changes must be done with Blender , or you can try MeshRigger) to reweight it. Have you checked to make sure the texture files are weighted correctly?

Model shifted on the body, but still visible sounds like a mesh rigging thing. Like if you open a nif and use the right click on a outfit/item in nifskope and go to transform - edit and then change the placement of the outfit/item it can mess up the weighting and make it out of order. Position changes must be done with Blender , or you can try MeshRigger) to reweight it. Have you checked to make sure the texture files are weighted correctly?

I never use the transform function in NifSkope and usually rigging/copying weights is the last thing I do with the model, once I am satisfied with editing. Also, usually rigging problems are immediately visible in NifSkope if any transformation was applied to the model prior to exporting it from Blender. Sometimes if I am not entirely sure, I copy the object in question to a different .nif file containing a compatible skeleton. If I see unintended transformation, I go back to Blender and fix it.

In my case nothing like that occurred. The model was clean and stripped of any transformation and constraints in Blender, and looked properly in NifSkope afterwards.

EDIT: Currently I am trying to export the model as an .obj Wavefront file and re-import it to Blender in order to strip it of any hidden parameters. I hope this will work...

Well, no sweat. That's not a model part problem. Can I see the texture then? This model is fine. If it looks somehow shifted from where it should be, I suspect textures. Especially normal map. Please post the textures, both.

I added the textures to the first post. Meanwhile I tried the trick with an export and import of an .obj file. Didn't really help.

I have a bad feeling that this is some sort of a hidden bug in Nif Scripts :P.

Thanks a lot for trying to help me out guys :).

EDIT: I noticed something that might be very relevant. The objects that have problems later on in-game are exported with additional parameters that Oblivion models should not have, namely Ni Stencil Property and Ni Specular Property. Removing those parameters doesn't seem to fix the problem, so maybe it indeed stems from Blender...

EDIT2: Other models that work properly also have Ni Stencil Property and Ni Specular Property so this is not the case :/.

I suspected if either color map or normal map is using different setup, for example 3d texture, it could cause such issues on some vga's.

But unfortunately, they are fine. your model, color map, normal map, all of them, if you don't count several potential performance-wise issues.

it's not because Nifscript bug. Now.. unless you for some reason intentionally renamed those textures when uploading them.. hotpant_01.dds and hotpants_n.dds is ok. but hotpant01.dds and hotpants_n.dds is not. Your problem is most certainly because of missing normal map.

*edit

NiSpecularProperty has no good on armors. Delete it.

I suspected if either color map or normal map is using different setup, for example 3d texture, it could cause such issues on some vga's.

But unfortunately, they are fine. your model, color map, normal map, all of them, if you don't count several potential performance-wise issues.

it's not because Nifscript bug. Now.. unless you for some reason intentionally renamed those textures when uploading them.. hotpant_01.dds and hotpants_n.dds is ok. but hotpant01.dds and hotpants_n.dds is not. Your problem is most certainly because of missing normal map.

*edit

NiSpecularProperty has no good on armors. Delete it.

Sir, you are godlike! Yes, the problem WAS a texture-normal map mismatch. The moment I renamed the normal map properly the problem disappeared! I am just shocked that the mismatch suggested a problem with the model and misguided me so severely :(.

It's ok. Happens to all of us.

Once I had ripped a dark souls armor and the texture's name had excessive number of underscores. That made Oblivion filename parser mad and I got a invisible armor crap. Save for your accidental little typo, Oblivion parser is being stupid.

Archived