SexLabs not recognizing FNIS 5.1.1

I've had this problem for about a week now.  SexLabs is installed and working, all the mods that supports it are working fine with the exception of any type of dialog or animation.  The only mods I'm running are Romance, arousal,  Beeing Female and Matchmaker (to help trouble shoot).  The main error message I'm getting is when the save game loads stating that FNIS 5.1.1 is either not install or missing files.  I'm thinking this is the cause of the missing dialogs and animation.  I've installed FNIS 5.1.1 (several times using Nexus) and ran the required executable and I've still getting the same error message.  I've tried starting a new game, same message.  I've uninstalled Skyrim and deleted all my previously saved games and reinstalled everything mentioned above, no luck. I'm at a loss.  What am I missing? 

I have the opposite problem, and while I know I risk asking a stupid question I have been searching on here and am not finding the answer in any of the faqs...

When I run FNISgenerator, Sexlab does NOT show up in the list.

It must be installed wrong?

I use Mod Manager and everything else checks out. I've reinstalled the mods and fnis.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Strangely, the functionality is there in game, but the actors don't animate.

So going over step by step again I realize that I need to install it into the Skyrim directory, instead of letting MO handle it. Now it appears in game.

They still stare at each other but at least FNIS recognizes it.  Still doesn't see Sexlab submit, but one step at a time I suppose...

This is 100% an issue with your install of FNIS and NOT SexLab. SexLab does a very simple true/false check from an FNIS script, if you've properly installed FNIS, than SexLab will pass this check, if you haven't it'll fail. There is zero room for error from SexLab here - any issue related to this error message is a problem with your FNIS install. Period. 

That said, it's also possible for somebody to have their FNIS install "semi-properly" installed where SexLab won't recognize the update but the install of FNIS 5.1.1 is "good enough" that it works but  just doesn't provide the scripts SexLab needs. In this case the error from SexLab can be ignored, it is a warning, not an error; a warning one shouldn't ignore in anycase, as it does in fact indicate an improper FNIS install. 

As an aside, with the exception of SKSE, there is absolutely nothing that requires it be installed into the data folder with Mod Organizer, FNIS works perfectly fine when properly installed, the scripts SexLab needs from FNIS should most likely be placed into MO's overwrite folder after successfully running the FNISforUsers too.

Thanks a lot for that information!

To clarify: You are saying that I should not have to install anything into the actual Skyrim Data folder other than SKSE. Everything, including Sexlab, can be installed through Mod Organizer?  I followed the Sexlab instructions posted here and I'm sure they said to drop dll's into the skyrim folder.

I didn't see a note saying how Mod Organizer handles such a thing, I will do some searching around for that info online.

I have started from scratch (full reinstall through steam), and am using the STEP guide. I just need to figure out how to best integrate the stuff from this site. 

Learning lots as I go, so I appreciate knowing where I could have gone wrong.  I'm sure I bungled things up.

I've got the basics down, next I just need to start understanding skeletons, meshes, and textures, so that I can get all the sweet body and clothes mods working without conflicts...

Again, thanks for your help!

Piao!

Ashal, in case you have time and check back here (or anyone else that sees this):

When I run FNIS through Mod Organizer, I get the following error:

Warning: Bad installation. Generator not run from <Skyrim_Data>\Tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users

Can I ignore this?

Thanks

Sorry, I can't start a new thread yet as I'm a newb...

I'm  not a MO user but you certainly can't ignore this error message.

Here is what you have to do when getting:

I got the warning "Generator not run from a legal (Steam) Skyrim installation directory"
This is a warning (only) that indicates, that your installation is not recognized as a legal steam installation. The generator is not effected by this. However, I will NOT support you with any installation problem you might have. Most users seeing this warning are using an illegal or pirated Skyrim copy (and don't have the proper registry information). And I don't support Skyrim pirates, and I don't want to track down possible problems caused by pirate installations.
If you think you got a legal installation

• check Bethesda's installing from disc instead of steam thread.
  • you might not have executed the proper steps to relocate your steam folder, as described in Moving a Steam Installation and Games.
  • if you have used "Steam Verify Cache", it might have removed one of the required registry entries. Start Skyrim once through the "Skyrim Launch" (and not through SKSE)
  • or, most likely, a hyperactive registry cleaner (CCLeaner?) has removed the registry entries used for this check. You can do a "quick" re-install (thanks to wtfmanreally):
  • 1- Backup your Skyrim local files with Steam (right click on Skyrim in games library, Backup Game Files).
    2- Delete Skyrim local files from the library (right click on Skyrim, Delete Local Content...).
    3- In steam, go to Steam->Backup and Restore... and select Restore a Previous Backup, click on Next.
    4- Click on Browse and select the folder "The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim". Click on Next.
    5- From here on it will ask if you want to install the game. Everything else should run as a normal Steam install.
    6- Make a backup of your old load order (files in "X:/Users/Username/AppData/Local/Skyrim" and your old .ini files (.ini files in "Documents/My Games/Skyrim").
    7- Start Skyrim through your Games Library. This will bring up the launcher. Click on Play.
    8- Restore your load order and .ini files backups, since the official Skyrim launcher screwed them up.

Or, You can do it manually:

Manual Installation (extended)

Note: there are many ways to manually install. This is "my way":

• Create a temporary directory <temp_dir> (name of your choice)
  • Download FNIS Behavior V5_1 -- ALWAYS necessary into <temp_dir>
  • If you want to use Creature Animation mods: Download Creature Pack V5_1 into <temp_dir>
  • Download FNIS Spells V5_0_1 -- ADD-ON for the spells into <temp_dir>
  • Open and extract FNIS Spells 5.0.1.7z with your favorite archive program (e.g. 7zip) into into <temp_dir>
  • Open and extract Creature Pack V5.1.7z into into <temp_dir>
  • Open and extract FNIS Behavior 5.1.7z into into <temp_dir> - Say "Yes" when asked to "Integrate...". Now you should have a "<temp_dir>/Data" folder with 3 subfolders: "Meshes", "Tools", And "Scripts".
  • Drag and drop the <temp_dir>/Data folder into your Skyrim installation directory (usually C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/SteamApps/common/skyrim). Say "Yes" when asked "Overwrite?", or when asked to "Integrate..."
  • Install other FNIS dependant mods (see mod list above)
  • Goto to your Skyrim Installation directory, and from there to Data/tools/GenerateFNIS_for_Users
  • Start (double-click) 1d7d11201fe82ed68231a5859d843d5b1fc9b4eb GenerateFNISforUsers.exe (part of FNIS Behavior) ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY, or NOTHING works
  • Select necessary Behavior patches in the Possible Patches field (make sure you have the patched mod installed!)
  • Click Update FNIS Behavior (this will create your installation-specific behavior files)
  • Click Behavior Consistence Check (optional, checks if new mods have defined inconsitent stuff)
  • Click Exit. Say "Yes" when asked to "Create a shortcut on your desktop?" (strongly recommended, you will need the generator quite frequently)
  • Start Steam and click "Play"
  • In "Data Files" tick FNISSpells.esp

I am definitely using a legal copy. I can get FNIS working when I install it to the steam skyrim directory.

What I tried to do was to take Ashal's advice and run FNIS through Mod Organizer. 

As an aside, with the exception of SKSE, there is absolutely nothing that requires it be installed into the data folder with Mod Organizer

That is when the error appeared. I tried to run FNIS through Mod Organizer only. It gave that message.

It is very possible that I have misunderstood this statement, and I am going to follow your instructions for FNIS as the last time I hadn't manually merged the patches.

Thank you for your help, I just really wanted to clear up that I am using a legal copy.

P.S. Probably the millionth time, but what is the body type in your sig? Specifically pics 5 + 6 :)

I just copied the troubleshooter from official FNIS thread. Ir is not my business if you have a legal or illegal copy of Skyrim. I tried to help. :)

I'm not using MO since it is complicated for me. So far I installed all versions of FNIS via NMM and never had a problem.

The pictures in my signature aren't Skyrim races. They were taken from various Hentai pages.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This may seem obvious, but if you manually installed FNIS directly into your skyrim data folder, you need to go into the skyrim data folder then into "FNIS Behavior version", "Data", and copy the folders inside of that Data folder back into your skyrim data folder.  Then you can delete the folder "FNIS Behavior version".

• 2 weeks later...

This may seem obvious, but if you manually installed FNIS directly into your skyrim data folder, you need to go into the skyrim data folder then into "FNIS Behavior version", "Data", and copy the folders inside of that Data folder back into your skyrim data folder.  Then you can delete the folder "FNIS Behavior version".

Thank you so much! I have no idea where the hell everything went wrong, but this fixed absolutely everything for me!

• 1 month later...

Gives me the pop up for when FNIS is not updated and what not. I went to the Generate FNIS and when I go do the update it says "Warning Bad installation. Gernerator not run from a Skyrim installation directory" Without any of the check boxes it gives 1 warning saying and when I click on the PC Exclusive Animation Path  it says PCEA is not installed. How do I fix the Warning? Or install the PCEA.

Gives me the pop up for when FNIS is not updated and what not. I went to the Generate FNIS and when I go do the update it says "Warning Bad installation. Gernerator not run from a Skyrim installation directory" Without any of the check boxes it gives 1 warning saying and when I click on the PC Exclusive Animation Path  it says PCEA is not installed. How do I fix the Warning? Or install the PCEA.

Don't check anything if you don't sure you have it installed.

If you use any custom skeleton (most of us use), check only skeleton arm fix.

BTW, you should fix that warning about bad installaton.

Most probably because you didn't install FNIS properly or install to wrong folder.

There is a guide about how to fix it in FNIS page at Nexus.

Demterius - there are tutorials for installing PCEA on Nexus forum under FNIS section, description.

This is what it has given me now that I've tried the "Moving a Steam Installation and Games."

>>Warning: Bad installation. Generator not run from a Skyrim installation directory.<<
FNIS Behavior V5.3.1   6/15/2015 10:47:49 PM
Skyrim: ??.?? - C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\ (Steam)
Generator: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users\GenerateFNISforUsers.exe

Skeleton(hkx) female: Default (99 bones)   male: Default (99 bones)

All Anim Lists scanned. Generating Behavior Files ...

Creature Pack not installed

0 animations for 0 mods successfully included (character)
 1 Warning(s).

ERROR(53): Could not find file 'templates\FNISVersionGenerated_TEMPLATE.pex'.

Archived