GECK + SSD

Guest tomm434

Guest tomm434

I'm thinking about buying a 128-160GB SSD to make my PC very fast. I'm interested in whether it will make GECK work without delay. Now it takes about 3 seconds to create a topic in quest which already has about 50-70 topics. Also I have a short delay when I double click on existing response.

Does somebody have experience using GECK with SSD?

The very nature of the SSD should allow it to perform with less "lag" however I doubt it will be a speed demon.

Before my Steam game went to crap .. ( decided to fresh install everything again) I did have the GECK on a Samsung SSD 256. One of the newer models and it did seem to process a tad bit quicker not much mind you but seemed to be a tad bit quicker in opening and light searching and such. Over a previous attempt with a WD Black 1tb. No mods were made or harmed in the process :D. Jokes aside. I didn't actual put it through its paces just verifying it was installed.

I was later going to set it up properly with the GECK power tools and such and start working on a small project ( by most individuals here definitions but a giant one for me being new and all to GECK) and fix a few things and see what I can do (damage.. lol) I get so upset that I am surrounded by all this GECK and modding brain power and I am not taking avantage of it.. I just kick myself in the pants .. ( then my computer craps out.  starting to think I need a new one.. To many problems too fast after years of working properly ;))

Sorry not the indepth info you were looking for.. Hope it helped.

I've got a pretty fast system, new SSD,  Intel i7-4770K,  ASUS Maximum VI Hero Motherboard, 16 Gigs of DDR3 RAM,

and a pair of Crossfired HD7870XP video cards, and the GECK runs noticeably faster then on my old Quad Core system,

but it still lags a bit; saving voice files takes a few seconds, for instance. It still freezes and crashes too, even with the

latest Powerup. You can't polish a turd ;)

I've got a pretty fast system, new SSD,  Intel i7-4770K,  ASUS Maximum VI Hero Motherboard, 16 Gigs of DDR3 RAM,

and a pair of Crossfired HD7870XP video cards, and the GECK runs noticeably faster then on my old Quad Core system,

but it still lags a bit; saving voice files takes a few seconds, for instance. It still freezes and crashes too, even with the

latest Powerup. You can't polish a turd ;)

Check this

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/videos/polishing-a-turd-minimyth.htm

You can polish a turd... :D

To bad the GECK isn't a turd. It is just crap...

• 3 months later...
Guest tomm434

So I did buy it.

It works fine but I noticed just a very little speed improvement in GECK(when you go to "topics")

No load time change whatsoever. I'm dissapointed.

I think it really depends on what video card and other things you have in your PC. I only have a quad core and I still get my GECK stuttering

and 'not responding' when I open files. But you also gotta remember that GECK needs to open all the .bsa files in its process, so there will be

a bit of slow down in that. Some people would recommend unpacking all the .bsa files so GECK checks these in an uncompressed format, but

even though I have done this separately for modding purposes, I keep the original .bsa files where they are (/data). And it will crash at times

regardless if you have the beastliest rig out there - just because. Because GECK is temperamental and childish at times...

So I did buy it.

It works fine but I noticed just a very little speed improvement in GECK(when you go to "topics")

No load time change whatsoever. I'm dissapointed.

Yep thought so about GECK. It is just slow no matter what. Hopefully you get less crashes and more reliable function than before. At least your game should perform better.

Guest tomm434

Actually.. It became slower.

I don't know why but on my HDD I loaded esp with only dependency on Fallout.esm for about 5-10 secs

Now it's about 15-20 secs.

Maybe it happens because I disabled precache and file indexing ( or something like that) for SSD optimization. or Maybe it's because I have steam in "C\\Program files" instead of "C\\Games" folder/

Any ideas?

None on my part. I only tried GECK ... *shudders* a couple of times. I actually had slower responses that you are quoting and it didn't matter if it was on a standard HD or SSD. Do you have the "Power Up". Maybe that helps. I heard it is almost necessary for stability etc. Perhaps performance as well.

Archived