SexLab animations not showing up

OK, I'm having the most bizarre behavior and I'd like to know if anyone else has seen anything similar.

History: Decided to do a fresh re-install of Skyrim with MO and S.T.E.P. Did the whole STEP installation process with a bunch of the mods they recommend.

Extended with immersive animals, weapons, SOS, and SexLab, SL Romance, and SL MatchMaker.

Through all of this, I test with old saves of reasonably advanced characters as I go. Plan is to actually play from a new game--these are just for testing. It all works (with a minor glitches) including the SexLab stuff.

I figure, cool, and create a profile for running an orc character in MO. I mark the profile as having its unique saves. 

Everything seems to work fine, except SL finds no animations at all. I load the save I've been using for testing, they're all there. I start a new game, they aren't. Same launching method, same profile, same set of mods active.

So then I back out all the mods in MO except vanilla Skyrim + SOS and SL. Start a new game.

This is the kicker: The cart in the opening scene runs off the road. It hits a rock, knocks the wheels off on one side, overturns, and the horse ends up dragging it upside down to Helgen.

Back out SOS and SL, run just vanilla through MO. Now I'm stuck on the driver's seat of the cart. The cart in front of us hits a rock, knocks its wheels off, spills its passengers. We end up at the gates of Helgen, which refuse to open, butting the horse's noses against the gates.

I mean, WTF? How i this even possible? Anyone seen anything like this before?

Now I can run Skyrim successfully through Steam but not through MO in any way, shape or form. 

It's not really worth debugging at this point. I'm going to reinstall MO and the install the mods there and see if I can re-create a working system. But has anybody got an idea of what happened?

Any idea which mods might cause the cart issue? I decided not to load the "Static Mesh Improvement" mod, on the grounds that maybe it changes what runs into what in bad ways.

There was something basic rogered in the setup. I'm rebuilding from the ground up now--if I still have problems I'll post diagnostic info.

Archived