Nexus mod manager transfer.

Currently im reinstalling skyrim to a more powerfull pc. I can transfer all mods and loadorder and it will work. I want to reinstall NMM but how do i make the new one recognize which mods were installed by NMM on the old pc? Is there a file which NMM "writes" what has been isntalled and what has been overwritten?

NMM can't recognize them if they aren't in the Nexus Mod manager folder or from the folder where they have been installed by NMM. NMM just remembers what has been installed, but if its folder is empty and the folder from where he installed the mods is not "linked " to him, no mod is truly active.

So you have to do following: If you see that mods in NMM have green ticks at the front of the mod, you have to unstick them and tuck them back. In that way, the NMM will install mods. The best way to check what is being installed is to open NMM and click on the Plugins tab. There you will see the list of installed and active mods.

I can help you with that OP. I recently migrated my Skyrim install to a new rig too.

What I did was copy my entire Skyrim directory into my new Steam directory and I also copied my NMM with all of its mod folder into the new rig. If I'm not mistaken, InstallLog.xml should be the file that keeps track of the installed mods. Just make sure that you also copy the mod folders as well otherwise it will not register properly.

The directories do not necessarily have to be the same. For example, I installed Skyrim in my (D:) drive while my new rig I pasted it in my (C:) drive. It doesn't matter because once NMM scans and detects where Skyrim is, it will automatically associate the install log with that new directory.

You could just switch to Mod Organizer since this is the perfect time to do it (a fresh installation). You can take NMM's mods folder (where it keeps the compressed archives) and move those to the new rig to install with MO. You can even move your old saves (the .ess files) over to MO as well (and it will tell you if any mods are missing).

You'd be glad you did.

Archived