Would anyone be interested in a mod that takes Hmm What To Wear and twists it?

Guest GuyWhoAbruptlyDisappeared

Hi,

I got bored and took Hmm What To Wear, a mod that splits up vanilla armor pieces into several parts that you can mix and match.

In the original mod, there is an armor masking for each armor type, then all the armor pieces are weightless craftables that you can add on as you please. It was therefore only compatable with UNP, despite many of the pieces fitting other body mods such as Dream Girl and 7base.

I changed it to make it a gameplay-functional mod. I removed the armor masking entirely, and made it so that the major armor parts, such as shoulderpads, skirts, upper body, lower body, all added up to the original weight, value, and armor rating of their base, then created a set of leveled lists and made them appear randomly in dungeons. I removed the individual pieces from the crafting menu because I didn't feel like going through and splitting the crafting supplies too. Pieces such as panties and leggings have no contribution whatsoever to the armor rating.

This way, the player finds various armor pieces, and can mix and match armor pieces that they find. If they find all the pieces to, say, Dwarven, then the total armor rating of wearing all the pieces at once is equivalent to wearing a standard set of dwarven armor.

So, if the player mixes ebony shoulderpads with a dwarven chest and some skirt and some legs, the total set may be equivalent to orcish, because although the player has ebony shoulderpads, they have, say, an iron skirt.

I did this so I can mix and match armor as I see fit independently of the armor maskings, so that I can use HMM What To Wear with the Dream Girl body as long as I avoid skintight pieces (Which, consequently, have no contribution to the armor rating). The items appear randomly throughout the game, all from level 1, but you can only find anything above steel in boss chests, and the pieces are increasingly rare with quality. 

Would anyone be interested in such a mod? I want to ask Nightasy for permission before releasing it, which I'm not going to bother to do if only I use it.

I'd definitely use it. Would it be an .esp that just overwrites either version, so that both UNP and UNPetite are still available? I've found that many of the UNPetite stuff works great on thinner bodies like Top Model (all but the chest/torso bits anyway).

yep, i'd surely use it. i've been using an older HWTW for ages. it's an old version that spreads pieces to spawning npcs. it works well w/ other armor mods and a bashed patch. but it's a little too prevalent. about 75% of the stuff i find is HWTW. and there's a problem w/ the skirts in my version. often skirts won't spawn so you'll find lotsa women in armor, yet panties lol.

so yeah, make in leveled lists, and fix skirts, i'll use it

I am trying to figure out how Skyre does its armor calculations so I can make the total armor add up to the Skyre values when using Skyre. I am also going to make perks like Cushioned work if enough of the armor pieces are equipped even if the body slot is empty. 

Is it compatible with any body replacer, e.g. Lady Body?

I did not change any of the meshes from HWTW. Whether or not it is compatible is entirely in the eye of the beholder.

The main difference between this mod as far as mesh compatibility goes and the original is that the original used armor maskings, which were the base UNP Mesh Files, so that when you wore the armor masking, your body would change to UNP, which I did not want.

With this mod, however, I abolished all of the armor masking entirely and made the individual pieces be where the armor rating comes from, leaving the chest slot free, and your character with whatever body you have. Whether or not the armor pieces will look right on that body is out of my control.

I used to run HWTW before, so I'm interested in what you made from it.

I remember that when I used HWTW it had an issue with the full version of SOS (unequipting chest when equipting panties, as far as I remember). Is that solved in your version?

No, that is an issue with SOS. SOS controls Slot 52 as a slot for the penis and unequips the chest if a penis is equipped. Unfortunately, that issue alone isn't enough - SOS also does this for female characters.

I simply don't use the panties at all from HMM What To Wear. They don't look right on the body replacer I use, and I did not change them in the mod because it doesn't make any sense that wearing panties would protect you from anything at all. 

Wow I had forgotten all about 'Hmm What to Wear', but some time ago it was my favorite armor mod, because I loved being able to create my own sets. I quit using it when I gave up the UNP body in order to adopt Bodyslide, and CT77 armor went a long way towards helping me forget about HWTW.

Looking back, I'd say that the biggest issues I had were that all the armor was in the invisible piece, and also that none of the pieces were findable... I had to craft everything, which kinda made it not really part of the world. Well look at that, you aim to fix both those issues! One thing I wonder though, is whether this piecemeal armor will completely replace regular armor? I suspect not, because I don't think NPCs would know what to do with it, but I thought I'd ask. 

Anyways, I'd totally be interested in this. How much I use it would depend on how well I could get the pieces to work with my favorite body shape, but it sounds like lots of fun and perhaps at some point, someone might convert it for Bodyslide if we wish hard enough.  :sleepy:

Archived