Is it possible to move Steam to a new and larger SSD???

Ailsa

I have done a search and found no posts/answers on this topic.

My younger brother has just installed a D drive on my pc which is 2 Terrabytes which is double the size of my nearly full C drive - Yay lucky me :D.  Unfortunately he hasn't used Steam for modded/modable games for a while and suggested I asked for advice from my favourite forum.

What I am asking is for the best way to move Steam, Skyrim et al to my shiny new SSD drive.  I have found https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7418-YUBN-8129 and I was hoping that someone knew how well it works and if they have any advice for a non-technical person to assist me in this process please.  Also how to I make Boss, Loot, Bash, TESVEdit, FNIS and SKSE see where the new/moved installation is (i.e what the path should be)?

While it can take a while depending on the number of games you have installed, it works just fine.  I've moved Steam 2 or 3 different times as I upgraded hard drives and never had any issues.

As to the "other" programs (FNIS and such).  You'll have to reinstall each of them.  That's the breaks.

Nmm will have a separate folder of all of your mods.

Should be something like:

/games/nexus mod manager/skyrim/mods

I'd back them up just in case, but re-installing nmm "should" leave the mods there.

By "should" I mean, if you're lucky.

As mentioned earlier, you can simply just copy over and it will work fine.

But you could also just set install location of skyrim to your SSD by going and installing the game, and selecting to make a new archive on a different drive from the drop down menu. And if your uninstalling skyrim to do this, you could just copy it over to another location until you've moved the games directory by the aforementioned method.

And no NMM isn't smart enough for that, it barely knows what mods you have after some updates.

Guest corespore

I would HIGHLY recommend switching over to MO. It keeps your game file protected by keeping all your mods in a separate folder from your game file and thus you never have to worry about anymore mods corrupting your games again, there's many other benefits to it but that alone makes the switch worth it. As everyone keeps pointing out you just copy your game folder to the new drive. Make sure to keep the file path the same and just change the drive (example ---->original C:/programs86/steam/steamAPPs/common/skyrim new------>J:programs86/steam/steamAPPs/common/skyrim). However, since you use NMM i would recommend just re-installing the game fresh from steam, then make a copy of it and use WinZip and/or 7Zip to keeps a fresh copy handy so you never have to re-install from steam again. Then go into Steam in online mode, right click on selected game (skyrim) goto properties, click on local files, then hit delete local game content to remove game from old drive, then click verify integrity of game cache, set file path to new drive following proper file path (new drive name here/programsfiles(86), steam/steamAPPs/common/skyrim). If you set the file path correctly the verification will only take about 1 minute or less. Afterward your set. 

Guest corespore

All is good now thank you all so much ^_^

I keep looking at MO but currently the learning curve is too steep for me - one day when I am recovered I will look at it seriously  :shy:

Watch. 

Archived