Nvse Plugin Capabilities

Odessa

Assume I have some external application running, and I want to pass data (NVSE arrays and/or NX vars) between it and FNV whilst it is also running, in both directions. Lets ignore my justification, but is this technically possible by writing an NVSE plugin?

The external application is complex and written in Python, and I don't want to includes its functionality in the actual NVSE plugin or in GECK script. I presume I could simply read/write data of savegames from my application, but this is rather limiting in terms of influencing real time gameplay.

You can write a plugin that read/write whichever file you want, including a "memory file" if it helps. A plugin can acces whatever C++ can do :)

In order for your plugin to communicate with the engine, check the available interfaces in PluginApi.h and the PluginExample project.

Odessa, I've been thinking of adding something similar to NX at some point, so I can throw up a debug terminal or something on another screen and manipulate stuff directly while the game is running. If I can make it robust enough, perhaps you could use it for whatever you're trying to do as well.

Archived