Oblivion: Blender, hair at foot position

Sheowtime

...Here goes a second try.., I'm creating a humanoid creature and when I place a hair mesh in nifskope it appears at foot position in-game, tried linking it with head armature in blender, didn't work. So... if anyone could help me with it. Here's an image:

Oblivion+2012-01-13+08-49-41-67.jpg

First thing, you should edit your post precising you're looking for help with hair in Oblivion as other games have different nifs.

open nifskope, select a hair mesh that works, open yours, copy the Nitrishape and paste in the other one. Delete old Nitrishape, see if that works...

Sorry, I use Max so the only thing I can think of is cheating with Nifskope.

First thing' date=' you should edit your post precising you're looking for help with hair in Oblivion as other games have different nifs.

open nifskope, select a hair mesh that works, open yours, copy the Nitrishape and paste in the other one. Delete old Nitrishape, see if that works...

Sorry, I use Max so the only thing I can think of is cheating with Nifskope.

[/quote']

Thanks for help, but if I understood correctly, you told me to copy a "working hair mesh" and delete the old one, old mesh works... It just doesn't have bones like all hair meshes are without bones, thats why it's on the ground, when I relocate it at the head position, it's still on the ground. I also tried placing ears and eyes at the head position and they appeared above the head, they do not have bones either and couldn't use animation( creature head is loking down when idle thats why they were abit above).

Maybe there is a way like gluing hair with head so they are one mesh.

And does it matter if it's Oblivion, Fallout or shitrim? Binding a mesh to the skeleton and binding two meshes together is the same operation, no? Still I changed the title, if it's gonna help then it's okay with me.

I kinda don't get it, were I need to put those created files? And hair mesh is placed in creature mesh, so those files wont work, and it says something about char gen,( it's a creature, humanoid, not a custom race). So she has a full body, hair, head, eyes, ears in one mesh, not like custom race with different parts from different meshes.

the problem your having is that you cannot set bones to a hair mesh and keep it as a hair style. It has to be made into a wig, also in blender it should be positioned much higher so that it actually sits on the heads exact position.

this also means that your character will no longer have ears when using the finished hair unless you add those to the mesh in blender, you can avoid this by selecting hair styles that cover the ears but other wise you will need to add them.

i'll do up a quick tutorial, it will not be a step by step so i hope you know at least know most of the process.

the problem your having is that you cannot set bones to a hair mesh and keep it as a hair style. It has to be made into a wig' date=' also in blender it should be positioned much higher so that it actually sits on the heads exact position.

this also means that your character will no longer have ears when using the finished hair unless you add those to the mesh in blender, you can avoid this by selecting hair styles that cover the ears but other wise you will need to add them.

i'll do up a quick tutorial, it will not be a step by step so i hope you know at least know most of the process.

[/quote']

Right on time man! Thanks! *After playing more with blender I managed to place the hair at the head position but it's located abit above and it doesn't use animations, and if the creature dies, hair just floats in air.

And does it matter if it's Oblivion' date=' Fallout or shitrim? Binding a mesh to the skeleton and binding two meshes together are the same operation, no?

[/quote']

Hi, I'm interested in the result as I suck at rigging/skinning. Fortunately I got good modders to help with that. Sheowtime: keep me posted of your result, I'll wake them up if your issue is still unsolved but if not, I'd like to know what you did to fix it.

As for the quote: Would I ask the question if it was the same?

Right on time man! Thanks! *After playing more with blender I managed to place the hair at the head position but it's located abit above and it doesn't use animations' date=' and if the creature dies, hair just floats in air.[/quote']

that sounds like the mesh is not properly parented, i had this trouble before also after exporting do not use transform apply on the trishape

it will screw up the positioning and cause this problem as well.

anyway here is that half assed tutorial i promised. it does not cover everything i assuming that you know alot of what your are doing. for others this will probably confuse the hell out of some people so ask questions and if i am slow to respond nudge me in a pm i have a tendency to forget things

Right on time man! Thanks! *After playing more with blender I managed to place the hair at the head position but it's located abit above and it doesn't use animations' date=' and if the creature dies, hair just floats in air.[/quote']

that sounds like the mesh is not properly parented, i had this trouble before also after exporting do not use transform apply on the trishape

it will screw up the positioning and cause this problem as well.

anyway here is that half assed tutorial i promised. it does not cover everything i assuming that you know alot of what your are doing. for others this will probably confuse the hell out of some people so ask questions and if i am slow to respond nudge me in a pm i have a tendency to forget things

Epic tutorial, everything worked! Thank you! *Gives a beer*

Nevermind, worked only for eyes and ears, hair still floats differently... D: The thing is that this god damned hair doesn't wan't to use bones, no matter what I do! Strange that it worked with eyes and ears perfectly, tried another hair mesh, but it turned invisible. Looks like I'm a bad stylist :D

No bloody way! Checked that hair mesh, would you look at that!

[attachment=4936]

It has bones, but it doesn't work properly! Like it doesn't have them! :@ Did everything that was said in tutorial, except reseting UV's (jumped right to the needed things). Yeah, and the black parts... :dodgy:

This is seriousssssss!

In Blender, look at the hair mesh and see if it has vertex groups with the same name as the bones. If you have a group with no bone you get the zoom away, if you have a bone with no vertex group you get no behaviour, I think.

You could try sticking the hair and head together as a new mesh.

Perhaps something in this thread will spark an idea.

http://www.loverslab.com/showthread.php?tid=2386&page=3

post #26 shows how I stuck the ears on. I did this just for blender, if I wanted I could have exported a head+ears combo mesh as a new rabbit head and changed my npc profile to point at that, but in game the ears appear in the right place regardless of where they show up in Blender.

In Blender' date=' look at the hair mesh and see if it has vertex groups with the same name as the bones. If you have a group with no bone you get the zoom away, if you have a bone with no vertex group you get no behaviour, I think.

You could try sticking the hair and head together as a new mesh.

Perhaps something in this thread will spark an idea.

http://www.loverslab.com/showthread.php?tid=2386&page=3

post #26 shows how I stuck the ears on. I did this just for blender, if I wanted I could have exported a head+ears combo mesh as a new rabbit head and changed my npc profile to point at that, but in game the ears appear in the right place regardless of where they show up in Blender.

[/quote']

Well I renamed a vertex group to Bip01 Head, but it could be that I missed something, I'll redo everything once more.

Strange, veeeery strange. When I join meshesh, they appear as separate parts in nifskope, but in blender everything is ok. Hair and Head were assigned to Bip01 Head, selected and deselected, those two meshes in yellow, so everything should've been fine, but.. no. Maybe I'm just too "smart" to do this or it's a curse!

Congratulations!

Now would be a good time to populate the tutorial section with hat you learned for others to enjoy!

Cheers!

Thx, well... what I did is too short for a tutorial, added hair mesh as separate part in cs, and applied 90 rotation to the left in nifskope, because if you don't it will lie on the right side. And it has 0 bones and works perfectly. Silly me, trying to place it in blender. :D

Archived