horse riding broken.

Guest wellbredbitch

Guest wellbredbitch

when i bought a horse from the guy at whiterun stables i tried to ride it. the screen changed to the first person view you would have if you were laying on the floor looking forward between the horse's hooves.  the dismount key has no visible effect but if you press a direction key after it my pc appears standing next to the horse as if she had just dismounted.

i left the horse there and carried on questing.   later on i took the carriage to winterhold and when i left there i saw the horse waiting for me and thought i would try it again to see if it had reset.  i pressed e and here is the screen shot i took after that

post-155908-0-99490600-1395546717_thumb.jpg

has anyone seen this bug before?  is there a fix? 

This is a common issue with anyone who uses The Joy of Perspective mod. It has to do with the positioning of the camera for the first-person skeleton. Because of an update to Skyrim, the newer versions of TJoP became incompatible on horseback. It seems the camera readjusts itself in a way that moving the first-person camera node will affect how it is viewed on horseback as well. Earlier versions of Skyrim had two variables that controlled the position of first-person and horseback cameras, but now it isn't that way (I assume it has something to do with mounted combat).

There is a test fix for the latest version of that mod but it is a bit buggy as after mounting and dismounting a horse, you usually can't fast travel. To counter that, you just need to leave the cell and re-enter, buy entering a house/cave/etc. and going back out to Skyrim. There is also another glitch to where interactive objects may refuse to respond after dismounting. Just remount and dismount again and it should fix that. The mod developer says the team has been working on a version to better handle mounts some time ago, but so far nothing has arisen from that. I'm hoping they get a fix for it soon though. since I use TJoP myself, I tend to avoid horses until that is fixed completely.

Alternatively, you can use Immersive First-Person View (both can be used together, but it's probably not ideal). The only issues you will have with IFP would probably be minor clipping, broken kill cams, and the camera is restricted by whatever third-person animation you have (so if the animation is off, so will your camera). The major advantage of IFP is that it is highly customizable and, with exception of those mentioned, relatively bug free. Horse riding is also easier to handle with IFP compared to TJoP.

Archived