Help with Feet Seams

kosukosu1

I'm just getting started in modding for Skyrim - i have some oblivion modding experience. I was able to create a mesh and get it to appear in-game - but I have this nasty feet seam appearing.

I'm new to this seam issue, having never dealt with it before - but what's the reason? Is it the texture or the uv mapping? I don't think I have any custom body textures installed - just the CBBE body and envision face textures.

The right foot looks off because it has the same UV map as the left (happened when i mirrored the foot in blender), but that seam - what can be done about that?

Any help for this noob skyrim modder I'd appreciate :)

post-17069-0-62981400-1395272419_thumb.jpg

Only solution for this its using blender/3ds max and redo the feet inside / replace with yours, idk if that works with bodyslide 2, never tried doing that with heels.

*and i guess will need also mess a little with meshes to that get the correct size.

IIRC, CBBE isn't compatible with UNP/Vanilla textures.  Which foot model did you use?

Ah maybe that might be it - I'll try textures that are compatible with CBBE - maybe something like SG Female Textures Renewal - have any other recommendations?

For the foot model, I used a mesh for another high heel mod that was for UNP I think, and then used blender to hack the size. 

Only solution for this its using blender/3ds max and redo the feet inside / replace with yours, idk if that works with bodyslide 2, never tried doing that with heels.

*and i guess will need also mess a little with meshes to that get the correct size.

Hmm do you mean the feet mesh might not be aligned with the body? I'll check on that in blender, and I guess I can join them together and then separate them, but I'll try a different set of textures first :)

The alignment/positioning looks OK from the screenshot.

It could be a problem with the Vertex Normals.  Most body meshes in Skyrim don't use vertex normals.  Unfortunately, most 3d programs will add vertex normals to the body mesh on export.

Compare the leg mesh and the ankle mesh in Nifskope.  

1. Does one have vertex normals but not the other?  If so, change the 'has normals' bool to no.

2. Check the number of UV sets.  Skin meshes in Skyrin should generally be set to 1, while clothing/armor should generally be set to 4097

3. Compare the BSLightingShaderProperty blocks for the skin.  Aside from the textures, they should probably have the same settings.

The alignment/positioning looks OK from the screenshot.

It could be a problem with the Vertex Normals.  Most body meshes in Skyrim don't use vertex normals.  Unfortunately, most 3d programs will add vertex normals to the body mesh on export.

Compare the leg mesh and the ankle mesh in Nifskope.  

1. Does one have vertex normals but not the other?  If so, change the 'has normals' bool to no.

2. Check the number of UV sets.  Skin meshes in Skyrin should generally be set to 1, while clothing/armor should generally be set to 4097

3. Compare the BSLightingShaderProperty blocks for the skin.  Aside from the textures, they should probably have the same settings.

Thanks gerra, great tips as always, but I think I had those bases covered :P

Yes, I originally thought it had to do with vertex normals, and I did check the NiShapeData node to make sure it was setup for the skin (num uv sets = 1, normals set to no). And I did copy over the BSLightingShaderProperty from another body mesh to make sure.

It turns out the problem did had to do both with the textures and the mesh itself, like deedit and leito said.  I installed some CBBE compatible textures, and then I combined the feet mesh and the generated CBBE body from my bodyslide. I aligned them together and removed doubles and separated them out again.

I actually had to align the feet and body manually as they don't align in blender for the CBBE body (or in NifSkope).  I guess the CBBE body has some compatibility issues? A lot of this is uncharted territory for me :/

Anyways, I did get it to look right, with no seams :D

post-17069-0-12181300-1395285240_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys!! This is an awesome community :D

Nice work.

I actually had to align the feet and body manually as they don't align in blender for the CBBE body (or in NifSkope).  I guess the CBBE body has some compatibility issues? A lot of this is uncharted territory for me :/

The misalignment issue is a common problem in Skyrim nifs due to all of the different Skyrim skeletons running around.  When a mesh gets rigged with a particular skeleton, the real world locations of its individual vertices become dependent on the bone bind locations in that skeleton.  If you attempt to combine two meshes rigged with different skeletons, you may notice misalignment issues, mesh distortion, etc.

Fortunately, my automated Mesh Rigger tool can be used to convert any nifs that you want to use together to use identical bones, which should eliminate the misalignment issues.  It also, of course, allows you to quickly rig meshes from scratch, or add BBB/BNB etc to any meshes.

Nice work.

The misalignment issue is a common problem in Skyrim nifs due to all of the different Skyrim skeletons running around.  When a mesh gets rigged with a particular skeleton, the real world locations of its individual vertices become dependent on the bone bind locations in that skeleton.  If you attempt to combine two meshes rigged with different skeletons, you may notice misalignment issues, mesh distortion, etc.

Fortunately, my automated Mesh Rigger tool can be used to convert any nifs that you want to use together to use identical bones, which should eliminate the misalignment issues.  It also, of course, allows you to quickly rig meshes from scratch, or add BBB/BNB etc to any meshes.

*.* Really nice know that, ill try that for sure.

I'll have to check out Mesh Rigger, sounds like a great tool!

I'm still a little lost about rigging a skeleton to a skyrim mesh.  In Oblivion, we usually just import a skeleton.nif in blender to get the skeleton rigged to the mesh(es) but in Skyrim I import the skeleton from the body nif (not skeleton.nif and I haven't dived in to see what that is yet). I use the XP32 Maximum skeleton, yet I don't really import that, nor do I know where/what that really is (is it an hkx file or something) and whether that's importable into blender or...?

So yeah still feeling my way through the dark here :)

Archived