Of course, problems are always going to crop up even when you're sure you've written everything right. While I'm not discounting mistakes were made, I also have strong feelings that Papyrus is just being Papyrus, too. Current issues to be resolved are:

-Spider attacking/starting combat with the victim when it shouldn't be.

-Follower is webbed but not properly following entanglement behavior. This could be causing the previous issue.

Overall progress:

DA Trigger: Complete

Quest Setup: Complete

Escape Mechanics: Complete

Spider "AI" and interaction: Troubleshooting

Follower Functionality: Troubleshooting

Bring player back to old defeat spot after escaping cave: Complete

Peril Mechanics (nom time for the spider): Written but Untested

MCM Update: Pending

Hmm I think I'll have to try a different approach with getting the spider to behave. It's packages just do not want to obey whatsoever, and I have no idea as to why that is. I'm going to try using a scene instead of quest variables to determine the package conditions. Either that or quest variables just don't play nicely with packages.

Hmm I think I'll have to try a different approach with getting the spider to behave. It's packages just do not want to obey whatsoever, and I have no idea as to why that is. I'm going to try using a scene instead of quest variables to determine the package conditions. Either that or quest variables just don't play nicely with packages.

thanks for the updates. sounds like you at least know what you need to do. good luck either way.

You may want to eventually consider what other user mentioned about the strenght of the spiders. The way they are in vanilla, to lose to them you would have to do so on purpose. The web shots allowed even the small spiders to be considered a threat, without that they can be ignored completely.

I think spiking up the venom alone would be enough, frist applications slows and subsequent ones cause paralysis (maybe with a slider or mcm option to tweak that since some people may find this frustrating) with some damage over time tossed in for the good measure. This way even the small spiders will be deadly.

You may want to eventually consider what other user mentioned about the strenght of the spiders. The way they are in vanilla, to lose to them you would have to do so on purpose. The web shots allowed even the small spiders to be considered a threat, without that they can be ignored completely.

I think spiking up the venom alone would be enough, frist applications slows and subsequent ones cause paralysis (maybe with a slider or mcm option to tweak that since some people may find this frustrating) with some damage over time tossed in for the good measure. This way even the small spiders will be deadly.

I agree on this... vanilla spiders can be annoying but not a serious threat...

With the way they behave right now with the spitting attack? I fear spiders more than dragons or giants. But if that attack causes problems, i can see why getting rid of it has to be done. I wish it could be kept, though.

I would like for it to have been kept as well. During my testing it seemed there might've been some leftover mechanics from the old version in that the spiders still slow. However, yes I was essentially going to buff spider's major attacks to be more dangerous, such as hitting harder and/or slowing the target. Just the other day I was hit by a spider spit and noticed my HP drain from full to nothing as a level 6 or 7ish character in Bleak Falls.

Don't you folks worry. I'm one of those people that likes to break the game's AI and kite all the same. I will most definitely make the spiders more of a challenge to face. Right now, I need to get the darn mechanics working first, though. The AI packages just do not want to behave no matter what I do. Aggravating!

I would like for it to have been kept as well. During my testing it seemed there might've been some leftover mechanics from the old version in that the spiders still slow. However, yes I was essentially going to buff spider's major attacks to be more dangerous, such as hitting harder and/or slowing the target. Just the other day I was hit by a spider spit and noticed my HP drain from full to nothing as a level 6 or 7ish character in Bleak Falls.

Don't you folks worry. I'm one of those people that likes to break the game's AI and kite all the same. I will most definitely make the spiders more of a challenge to face. Right now, I need to get the darn mechanics working first, though. The AI packages just do not want to behave no matter what I do. Aggravating!

so, when you make the spiders hit harder, I'm guessing that "dying" in combat to the spiders will result in a cocooning too? once you work out the mechanics and roll it into Death Alternative though, I mean.

Try getting in contact with the creator of da this is, of course assuming you haven't yet. They might be able to help.

The problem doesn't lie on DA's end. It lies on Skyrim's end. The Death Alternative stuff is working flawlessly. The problem I'm having is the spider seems to want to start combat with the victim for whatever reason, meanwhile followers also aren't being manipulated correctly as well by the system. It's like they're ignoring all calls made on them (or it's being overwritten by another call by something else after my calls are made). Still trying to get to the bottom of it

Good luck. Stil waiting anxiously, but patiently.

Edit: stupid question, but is there a spider faction? If there is, I suppose you could try making the pc part of that faction while entangled. Assuming you haven't tried that already. I'm not a modder, so I could just be making stupid observations that you can completely ignore.

• 2 weeks later...

you should call this Arachnophilia

not really, since I doubt the player character, follower(s) and npcs getting caught by them are enjoying it lol, just the player obviously is. and besides, Kazyn didn't start this mod, he picked it up from two other modders, and he continued and furthered their project, so the name was originally decided by someone else.

I personally like the name of the mod, despite having not come up with it, but yeah, bleeb is correct, there's no one in the game that is particularly enjoying becoming a potential meal for an oversized bug that has too many legs and eyes.

I personally like the name of the mod, despite having not come up with it, but yeah, bleeb is correct, there's no one in the game that is particularly enjoying becoming a potential meal for an oversized bug that has too many legs and eyes.

no worries, you're doing great at this mod, and I've been loving the ideas/changes you come up with. keep up the good work!

It's been a while since I checked this thread.

Kazyn, are you still looking for ways to force a package re-eval on spiders in the area?

Easiest way might be to have a quest with about 100 spider aliases. Fill them in the laded area, nearest first and then when the quest is running, loop over the aliases, get the actor refs, and send EvaluatePackage to each of them in turn. Once the loop is done, stop the quest and it'll be ready to run again the next time you need it.

You could probably do something with an area effect spell as well.

Hmm not sure I follow you entirely, however, I'm only trying to get one spider to behave in this case, which is in the cave and taking care of its prey (be it the PC alone or the PC and its follower). What might end up working (and this seemed to work in that test build I was about to release before I decided to re-evaluate the mod itself) was to adjust the aggression level of the captor spider and then force re-evaluate its package. However, it has yet to be tested and seems primarily to occur only when there's a follower around, for whatever reason. There might be something I have to modify or look into with the follower itself.

I was replying to an older post. Quite a bit older now I come to look at it again.

That is indeed the problem: encounters with multiple spiders. I'm trying to work on a way to get all spiders in the area to re-evaluate their packages when someone's been entangled. That has been the biggest issue so far.

Any other modders out there have any suggestions for how this could be implemented? Feel free to PM for further details.

As for the followers escaping quickly, that was an oversight on my part which has already been fixed, so that'll be in the next test release.

Finally, the cave scenario will have to see some additional work. First thing that needs to be ironed out are the current mechanics.

I blame coffee deprivation first thing in the morning :)