NifSkope Question - Parent Eyes & Ears Meshes to Head Mesh?

varenne

Is it possible to parent the eyes and ears to a head mesh in NifSkope or is that just beyond this tool?

If I copy from the eye or ear nif to the target nif file with the head mesh, they end up at the feet. (Interestingly enough they are re-oriented from the original positioning in the ear nif file.)

Here's some screens to show what I'm trying to do.

Target Nif - Full View

post-18672-0-00833700-1390187566_thumb.jpg

Target Nif - Head View

post-18672-0-07288400-1390187595_thumb.jpg

Target Nif - Feet view showing Pasted Ears at feet

post-18672-0-79903400-1390187611_thumb.jpg

And no this is not a new race. I'm trying to replace the fugly looking WereTiger in Midas Magic, which is an armor.

It depends on exactly what you're looking to do.  If you want eyes that behave as if they were eyes, then you need to change the eyes in the construction kit (or, better yet, tes4edit).

If you're looking to have 'dead' eyes that just hang out and move at the same time a head mesh moves, then you need to rig them as if they were any other sort of object.

Take a look at the Beta package I sent you.

It should include a program called 'Copy Mesh' that *hopefully* still works after the changes in my Mesh Rigger back end.

Here's what I'd do.  First use Mesh Rigger to fully rig the eyes.  If that work (no idea really), then use Copy Mesh to copy the rigged eyes into the nif.

eyes, ears, (and some hair ) are placed by the egm, egt , tri files in the rigth Position.

I have the same Problem with BravilUnderground addon. Full Body clothes for the dead NPCs with ears and eyes. I use eyes from a full head mesh (clothes) and ears from wigs with ears. Have not tested it in game, still working on the bloody textures.

some ears and eyes.7z

Before you try rigging them, there is a couple of things you must consider first:

1. Those eye meshes must have the normal map. Generate one, because most likely you don't have any.

2. Eye/ear meshes are hardcoded to move as the head moves - when they are set in the race record. As well as several non-rigged equipment meshes (They should have NiStringExtraData that specifies which armature to follow, in case of equipments)

So their position is grounded. You'll have to shift them to match the head position. +112.441 along z axis, -1.187 along y axis. Then apply transformation, and copy boneweights lastly.

Keep in mind that you will inevitably lose any facial expressions in this way.

@ gerra6, fejenena & movomo,

Thanks guys, looks like I have a bit more work cut out till this gets done. (Almost didn't recognize you movomo with your new avatar and all.  ;) )

And yeah, I'm aiming for 'live' eyes as one end goal for this.

Archived