An Adult Mod Making Question

FinalCloud

Ok, so I know my way around the fundamentals of the CK, for the most part.

I also know a bit of Java, and can program to a fairly basic level

I figured out the Oblivion CS and (with some help from code by other authors) was able to make a new questline for Lovers Dark Lessons for my own enjoyment.

With the far superior visuals of Skyrim and the awesomeness that is Sexlab I would like to find my way around mod making with the CK which I instantly noticed is more difficult on a programming level.

My question is, in order to create truly good (adult) mods for Skyrim, should I focus on learning programming languages such as Java/ C# at an advanced level and then come back to the CK, or should I focus on experimenting with the CK, looking at how other authors have done things etc. and see what I can come up with?

Well I know the basics, papyrus (which doesnt look hugely different to Java in Syntax), and the scripting tutorials, I am seeking advise as to attaining the skills to create a really good mod =P. I have already created a simple mod which uses SL anims etc. And when I said I already a fair idea of the CK I did mean that I can already do the basics such as adding npcs =P. I mean like what do the really skilled mod authors do, do they study all the papyrus functions so they know what can and cant be done, do they all have to be professional programmers etc, thats the kind of advise I am seeking

My bad! :)

I think your best bet is to just sit down with the CK and let the force flow through you :) You just have to remember even the big mods are just little pieces all together. You have the skills already, you just need to focus. All good mods takes ages to make. Most of the top modders start small, make sure it work and then expand slowly.

You don't have to be a professional programmer, you just need time and patience more then anything and coffee, lots and lots of coffee or tea :) Most modders if they don't know if it can be done just asks another modder.

There is a guide about planning mods and how to start them on here somewhere. It helps modders get started and helps them plan what audience they want to target.

A few words about my background: Even though I haven't graduated in Computer Science I had to learn and use several (visual) programming languages like Java, VHDL, C, python, LabView etc.; right now my current job is about 90% coding. So while I wouldn't call myself a professional I'm quite practiced in coding.

Coding in Papyrus is pretty straight forward; if you have any experience in a few other programming languages you shouldn't have any troubles getting used to Papyrus; the part I've struggled with (and still struggling) is to integrate my scripts into the Construction Set. I like codding, not tools like CS; what makes it even worse is that a generally speaking a good mod uses the CS as much as possible and scripts as little as possible.

;tldr

Imo to create a fleshed out mod you need to know the CS well, its tricks, its limitations, its workarounds, and that's something you only learn by using it.

Learn the CK first to figure out what sort of scripts you need where. I made a token ring for a mod update and to build it the ring itself has 2 parts, the magic effect had 2 parts and then the script was 3 parts. Sometimes what seems to be a simple thing to do in the CK can give you a huge headache. Pick an item and find everything that went into it, there are some good tutorials for the CK but most assume you know something about it already.

Sometimes what seems to be a simple thing to do in the CK can give you a huge headache.

Truer words were never spoken. Just getting a quest to update upon entering a cave made me rage for about 2 hours. Turns out the function I used was bugged, and I just needed another approach

Archived