If only I knew just a little bit about modding or papyrus lol :( I could probably give you some more ideas, but without knowing what's actually possible it'd be just a sea of things that can't be done.

That said though, there's a great number of things that you could do with a mod that aims to make the game more mechanical, with added strategy and immersion. For instance, alternate effects for the Named (unique) weapons and shields:

-The Dawnbreaker sword could be something for a relatively high, or high-medium level character, but if you wield the sword and you don't meet the requirements instead of just getting negative things, you could get benefits as well. Meridia's other artifact in the Elder Scrolls lore is the Ring of the Khajiti, which makes the wearer invisible (and a whole story behind it :P), and since Meridia her/himself has a huge hatred for the undead (despite being a Daedra), you could make it so when you wield the Dawnbreaker in the close vicinity of undead, such as draugr, you could become invisible (or an added buff to sneak) so you wouldn't necessarily need to destroy the undead to reach your bright goal, but could bypass them in some way. This buff would disappear once you meet the requirements to use the sword effectively.

An alternative could be something like the spells to repel the undead. If close to undead, this magical shield/sphere of sorts would form around you. Perhaps with a lower effect than actual repel spells for balance purposes.

-The Ebony Blade sword is definitely OP in the game, as it doesn't use soul gems to recharge it's natural health-stealing abilities (once you fully empower it). However not a lot of people are into katanas or two-handed weapons, and then there's another group of people who will simply not use it because the overpower of the weapon is high but more importantly -constant-. As it is said that Mephala had a role played in the creation of the Dark Brotherhood, you could make it so failing to meet the requirements for the Ebony blade could make it deal next to nothing in damage, but when you have it equipped (and only as it is equipped) you could be given a power that once activated, could let you kill any non-essential NPC instantly in a single move... Once a day.

Edit- Extra idea:

-Maybe create a special potion in the game that would require rare ingredients, and the effects would be that it would give you strength, but not the kind of strength that Skyrim says, the kind of strength that actually gives you that attribute in the form of being able to use high level gear for a short period of time, making it interesting to go a little towards Alchemy and spending some time making these potions, preparing for hard battles kind of in the Witcher style of game.

I could probably go on and on with this :P as there are many many interesting facts in TES' lore you could tie the "requirements" of gear to... but again, I'm not sure what is possible and what isn't lol.

Those are just quick examples that would make it so there's more incentive to actually go after these special artifacts, -specially- when using this mod. Could probably spend a little time thinking over the details, balancing and what not :)

Side note: should probably change the version number in the thread's title :P

Added an extra one :P It could maybe be seen as "cheating" but, not really in my opinion. I'm the kinda person that likes to go with what the mod author sees as balanced, and more often than not play as if the mod gave no customization options. But really having to spend time preparing for a fight, and only a temporary effect wouldn't be bad, if anything it'd give you even more incentive to play and immerse yourself in the game.

So, I've spent some time thinking on the suggestions made by monababii. I don't think I'll implement the suggested features for a couple of reasons. First, weapon enchantments are not at all affected by this mod, regardless of whether the player has the necessary stats to effectively use the weapon. This is the same in Dark Souls: a weapon still deals the full amount of elemental damage regardless, and only physical damage is affected. I like that style a lot and it was never in my vision to give an incentive to the player to remain under-leveled for the weapon, though I can recognize the intrigue of such a system. Also, it should be noted that armor enchantments share this same property. On a side note, I want to point out that if anyone wants to pick up the ball here and add such features, you're more than welcome to and I'm sure you'll find that, given enough knowledge of working with perks, implementing the suggested ideas isn't really too difficult at all. I also find the idea of a potion to allow the use of higher-level equipment somewhat redundant. This is because of the game's own enchantments and potion effects that increase certain skill levels; previously, I found no real use for them, but now they can become quite an asset to a player using this mod.

Anyway, I think I'll officially stop development of this mod, since I now feel it is finished to what I envisioned.

I was just throwing out ideas because it sounded like you wanted to develop the mod further, expand it and were just lacking ideas on where to take it from here. In all honesty though, even though I haven't even used the mod yet I can see how the mod -is- actually finished, and well only thing left to say is thanks for the mod :D I will definitely use it the next time I start over (must have restarted the game like 30+ times since it came out), and can't wait to see what you come up with next if anything =D

As for the potion idea, I kind of forgot about the vanilla potions to enhance skills lol. My bad :P Just like you said, the reason I kind of forgot about them is because I rarely ever used them in all my time spent in the game, but again I have a feeling you're right and I just will have to start using them :D

Cheers!