Nonsense's "I'm a noob at Skyrim halp ma plz" thread.

Nonsense667

Disclaimer: I am not making this as a thread for all people to post noob help questions in. That is not the intent. 

This is a thread I figured I'd make, so rather than filling up the help forum with a new thread everytime I had a question, I could just update this one. Anyways, here goes.

- So. I got Skyrim. First thing is first: Which is best for modding Skyrim, just doing the usual thing, and installing it under the steamapps folder, or should I do this thing about opening steam up in dev mode and changing the install folder to an "individual" folder for skyrim? (That would be C:\Games\Skyrim)

Edit: I suppose what I'm also asking is "which of these options could potentially cause problems?"

Thanks in advance for the help, hah.

(And I looked for any sort of "starting from the ground up to modding skyrim" stickied thread but didn't see one... of course, I'm new to the skyrim section... >.> I feel lost.)

It needs to be in your programs/steam/steamapps/common/skyrim it's the only place you can have skyrim at. It's different then fallout nv and oblivion where you should install those in a different folder then the programs folder.

Damn. :P Oh well, not that big of a deal. Thanks!

Hmmm. I suppose I could always just make a shortcut to it in my games folder that would work just as well, hah. 

(Oh, and for the record, I'm assuming that you mean that it simply needs to be in the steamapps\common folder, because I actually don't have steam installed under programs. But if having steam installed to a non-default location is a problem for modding it... let me know!)

(Oh... and just to make sure. Are you saying that "That is the only place it is possible to install skyrim" or "that is the only place you can install skyrim and have mods work." Because from looking around on the internet, like I mentioned in my post, it seems you can open up steam with a -dev function and get the ability to choose where to install things...)

Where steam installs it is where it has to be or you will have problems with the game mods you install and with things like SKSE and things not working right. SKSE is the Skyrim Script Extender http://skse.silverlock.org many mods use it like FNIS including the adult mods on here.

If you have it installed anywhere else and you run into problems and ask for help and they ask where it is installed at and you say games folder they will consider it a pirated game as the only place it is suppose to be in is the place steam installs it to.

Archived