Vilkas "Take Up Arms" Glitch

Golgo13

This is a documented glitch, "solutions" for which are suggested in "The Elder Scrolls Wiki."  But, the only solutions offered don't help me.  I was wondering if anyone here knows what causes it, and how to get around it without screwing up one's game.  (I tried using the console in a previous game to just move past this stage, but that wound up rooting Vilkas to that spot, forever, so I couldn't complete a later quest).

Specifically, in the quest, "Take Up Arms," as soon as I go out the door, he starts yelling at me about my not being allowed to use magic, and he becomes hostile.  Then, he tells me to swing on him-- then he tells me that I'm not supposed to use magic, etc., etc., incessantly alternating between the two.  If I swing on him, it becomes an actual fight.

One suggestion provided on the Wiki is not to bring a follower.  Well, I told Faendal to head home as soon as I entered the Companion's hall.  The other suggestion is that if you have any magic weapons on you, even if not equipped, he could go off like that.  Well, I didn't own any.  But, I just decided to go out there naked except for my two swords... there was no way that there would be anything in my inventory to cause me trouble.  But, as soon as I went out the door, he STILL bitched about my not being allowed to use magic.

This happened in a previous game without the "Unofficial Patches;" and, it's happening, now, WITH the "Unofficial Patches."

I tried to join "The Elder Scrolls Wiki" so that I could get an extension of the answers that had already been provided without annoying you all; but, something's going wrong with their verification process.  I sent them a message about that.  Meanwhile, I thought that I'd inquire as to other people's knowledge of this issue, since it appears to be fairly widespread. 

That fixed that. :D

I've noticed that some of my Sexlab mods stopped working properly (animations won't advance without my manually advancing them; the default "naked" option in Prison Overhaul, even though left in the default state, isn't working: my 'toon is dressed in some rough outfit, and, since the settings are already set for the default, and were never changed (by me), Idk how to get it working as intended).  I've just started looking into that-- I may, yet, figure out the cause.  But, by any chance, could anything in that mod affect the Sexlab scripts?

Are you running Sexlab Aroused or Sexlab Romance? If you are, to solve the brawl bug, you need to turn the cloaking effect OFF in the MCM options.

I deactivated the Brawl Bug Fix mod; although Aroused and Romance require cloaking to function, it can be turned off temporarily, it appears.  So, next time I run into the problem, I'll try what you suggested.

But, even after deactivating the Brawl Bug fix, the other mods are screwed-up.  Any suggestions?

Archived